Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling bullied by my teacher.

Announcements Posted on

Here's my background:

After trying my hardest to get good grades in my AS levels I ended up with 3As and 1B. This doesn't sound too bad, but considering that the B was in Chemistry, the subject that I absolutely needed an A in to stand any chance of getting in to med school, my confidence was shot to pieces.

Despite this I was still predicted three As and still applied to do medicine at university last year. I got no offers and no interviews from any of my choices. Of course I was disappointed but after the first three rejections, I was expecting nothing less.

I was then even more focussed on putting all of my efforts into my A levels, but when I received my first A2 results, I was once again, disappointed, achieving ABC in Biology, Physics and Chemistry respectively.

I am usually a positive person but after so much rejection and disappointment I couldn't help but feel a little lost and was struggling to hold on to my direction and motivation. But, I was still coping.

However, recently my form tutor seems to find pleasure in taunting me in front of my peers. He has a knack of pinpointing my concerns and bringing them to the forefront of my mind after I've tried to push them away. He insults me based upon his own assumption that I've "failed" due to my stupidity and incompetency and frequently implies that I'll amount to nothing. He enjoys telling me that I put no effort into anything that I do, my exams included. Perhaps these would be fair points if he actually taught me any of my subjects, and they were in any sense of the word, true.

Yesterday he said to me that he was sure that I'd fail my university degree. Upon telling him that I was taking a gap year because I has received no offers he openly mocked me. I'm sick of people making false assumptions about me. I've suffered from depression in the past and I'm starting to drift back into that state of mind.

I've thought asking to speak to the teacher in question in private but I'm worried about his reaction. I would also struggle to tell him how he is making me feel without getting overly emotional. Instead I've been trying to avoid registration so I don't have to see him but this is getting me into trouble. I don't know what to do. I have my final exams coming up and I'm under an incredible amount of pressure. This is beginning to push me over the edge. I know I shouldn't be letting this get to me but I'm really doubting myself.

I would really appreciate any advice or support.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Report him to the headmaster? Or if you're feeling brave respond with witty and rude comments yourself. Hes probably jealous of something or perhaps hes just a jackass?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pure jealously, he doesn't want you to be successful. Talk to someone above him like the headteacher.

This teacher is a w****r and has absolutely no right to be doing his job. politely speak to your head of year, pastoral care or head teacher and make a thing of this because this teacher needs to change his attitude or start looking for a new job so someone who wants to motivate, support and teach properly can come in. Dont make comments back or quite rightly tell him where he can put his opinion because you'll just get in trouble for it and i'll bet that's what he's going for anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Here's my background:

After trying my hardest to get good grades in my AS levels I ended up with 3As and 1B. This doesn't sound too bad, but considering that the B was in Chemistry, the subject that I absolutely needed an A in to stand any chance of getting in to med school, my confidence was shot to pieces.

Despite this I was still predicted three As and still applied to do medicine at university last year. I got no offers and no interviews from any of my choices. Of course I was disappointed but after the first three rejections, I was expecting nothing less.

I was then even more focussed on putting all of my efforts into my A levels, but when I received my first A2 results, I was once again, disappointed, achieving ABC in Biology, Physics and Chemistry respectively.

I am usually a positive person but after so much rejection and disappointment I couldn't help but feel a little lost and was struggling to hold on to my direction and motivation. But, I was still coping.

However, recently my form tutor seems to find pleasure in taunting me in front of my peers. He has a knack of pinpointing my concerns and bringing them to the forefront of my mind after I've tried to push them away. He insults me based upon his own assumption that I've "failed" due to my stupidity and incompetency and frequently implies that I'll amount to nothing. He enjoys telling me that I put no effort into anything that I do, my exams included. Perhaps these would be fair points if he actually taught me any of my subjects, and they were in any sense of the word, true.

Yesterday he said to me that he was sure that I'd fail my university degree. Upon telling him that I was taking a gap year because I has received no offers he openly mocked me. I'm sick of people making false assumptions about me. I've suffered from depression in the past and I'm starting to drift back into that state of mind.

I've thought asking to speak to the teacher in question in private but I'm worried about his reaction. I would also struggle to tell him how he is making me feel without getting overly emotional. Instead I've been trying to avoid registration so I don't have to see him but this is getting me into trouble. I don't know what to do. I have my final exams coming up and I'm under an incredible amount of pressure. This is beginning to push me over the edge. I know I shouldn't be letting this get to me but I'm really doubting myself.

I would really appreciate any advice or support.
    To be honest the whole taunting thing is usually a joke to lighten the mood and create a more friendly than serious environment among students.

NOW i'm not saying your situation is the same as it seems like your teacher is a complete and utter DOUCHE but it does happen.

For example i'm 18 and sitting A2 exams this year, in my first year i failed everything and got really crap grades due to messing around. I retook the year last year so overall i'm spending 3 years at college. As i'm at a sixth form and i've known all the teachers since year 7 they always make jokes about me and my friend being 30 as we took an extra year and they keep making jokes about how their's no year 14 lol whenever we say were going to uni they laugh at us and and say with our punctuality record.

Me and my friend are the lazy type (i know we should be serious like you) but regardless of that we still get the grades i'm predicted 3 A's too, with us we laugh it off as we know the teachers are playing around and joking, most of the time when their not insulting us lol it's more of a friendly relationship than like a strict teacher student relationship like we had at GCSE. From the sounds of it, it does sound like your teacher is a COMPLETE AND UTTER PR*CK but he could just be joking, does he do it to any other students or just you?

Also in my English Lit class my teacher is always making a practical joke about my friends head, saying it's shape like an egg lol and making fun of him all lesson. But he laughs and we all laugh to as we know it's just banter and nothing serious, i don't know your teacher or how treats you but be aware that he could be just playing around as all my teachers do that with their A level students, maybe because it's a sixth form and they've known us for longer so have a stronger bond i guess.

What do you think do you think he is vindictively picking on you or do you think there's a chance he could just be joking around?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Report him, ask for a new tutor then? Also stick up for yourself or he will just continue, next time he says something out-of-line tell him. Believe me you will fell so much better afterwards
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do not go to the head teacher ... they will simply pass it back down the chain to people who will be annoyed that you did not approach them

You can try to talk to him ... letting him know how you feel ... he may be trying reverse psychology ... do not be afraid of emotion ... if his response is negative stop going to form and talk to someone in charge

If you cannot talk to him talk to your Head of Sixth/Pastoral Head/Connexions Person ... whoever it is in your school that would be able to approach your tutor about this

Whoever you go to talk to take a friend with you for support
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    First off, your teacher sounds like a complete bellend.

Forget about the teacher and focus on your exams. What's more important, the cretin who masturbates at home over sofa catalogues, or your exams? I think it's obvious what the answer is. You shouldn't listen to anything he says cos he's blatantly an absolute chief.

Good luck for your exams mate.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.