Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People with "weird" names

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014

Not only is my name unusual but its also a bit hard to say/catch on to when you first hear it. So its always a bit of a nightmare when i first meet new people. I dont mind it so much when its a professional environment but in a social situation like on a night out or when you meet your friends' new uni friends or boyfriend's family/friends etc its really frustrating? I dont get offended at all if people mispronounce it but its just annoying cause i can tell they're avoiding it and i just find the whole thing awkward? Especially when theres drink involved - people normally dont have clue what im saying when i tell them my name! I dont blame them, i just wanted to know if other people have been in this position too and how you deal with it?

Like for example, just the other day i met my best friend from school, Amy's big new group of friends from work with two others.. lets call them Emma, Laura and aijufeoica (me, im kidding this isnt my name but it may aswell be lol) and i could tell people were making more effort with Emma and Laura - though, i dont think i made a bad impression at all if ever someone would refer to me it would be as 'amy's friend'.

Now im not offended by any of this in the slightest.. but surely you understand it gets tedious when this happens ALL the time! like literally everytime i meet someone new (which will be pretty often once i start uni!) How do you guys deal with it? I wish i had a nickname but i dont :/ i cant just make one up! lol. Also how would you feel about getting with someone called sraiuvrw or something ha who was otherwise fairly attractive etc? or is it a turn off as a first impression?

Just had to get this off my chest! thanks for any opinions!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can easily just make up a nickname. Or shortened form.

"Hey I'm Aijufeoica, but you can call me Aij because it's easier".

or do like my mother did :

"Hey I'm Diane" (her name was Wladyslawa) lol.
    (She eventually got it changed to Dyann by deed poll).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl called Sharpe (Shar-pay) and everyone just calles her S because she detestes her name. One of the reasons why i enjoy being called Tom -_-
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nicknames are a wonderful thing, there's got to be some way of shortening your name to something more manageable? Or if you don't like that, go by a completely different name that people can say?

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    You can easily just make up a nickname. Or shortened form.

"Hey I'm Aijufeoica, but you can call me Aij because it's easier".

or do like my mother did :

"Hey I'm Diane" (her name was Wladyslawa) lol.
    (She eventually got it changed to Dyann by deed poll).
    You cant really shorten my name easily.. its not like 'Jessica, Jess for short' or 'Samantha, Sam for short' :/ now i wish my name was aijufeocia or whatever random letters i typed earlier lol, atleast you can shorten it to the first syllable! ..Oh wow, her original name sounds hard to shorten to! What would the first syllable be, 'Wl' ? Or perhaps 'lady' hmm.. . I dont think i could come up with a random name altogether - id feel so awkward! Especially considering my surname is pretty odd too (but much easier to say mind!) so Diane (or anything "normal") would be weird when the rest of it is so odd! But i guess if i was to come up with a random name altogether now is the best time when i start uni and wont know literally anyone up there!

(Original post by M4LLY)
    I know a girl called Sharpe (Shar-pay) and everyone just calles her S because she detestes her name. One of the reasons why i enjoy being called Tom -_-
    This is what i meant when i said not only is my name unsual but also a bit tricky to say, yes sharpe isnt too common, but how far off will someone be, 'sharp'? still pretty close! or if she introduced herself on a night out 'hi, im sharp-ay' im sure people would catch on! my first letter is S too actually, but i always thought 'hi, im S' would sound a bit odd :/ but something like 'hi im G' or M or L or T etc would be fine? (maybe this is just me being odd!)

(Original post by Manitude)
    Nicknames are a wonderful thing, there's got to be some way of shortening your name to something more manageable? Or if you don't like that, go by a completely different name that people can say?
    There isnt really a way of shortening it, its only two syllables.. (i dont want to say my real name on here cause im pretty sure if anyone typed it onto facebook theyd soon see im probably the only person with this name!) The second syllable is just a 'er' sound (like at the end of Emma or Jessica) so if i went by the first syllable its still the tricky bit! lol :/

arhhhhhh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    use your middle name?Id have thought an unusual name could be quite the talking point

(Original post by hanaxo)
    use your middle name?Id have thought an unusual name could be quite the talking point
    I dont have one. How would it?? lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dont have one. How would it?? lol.
    Well I have an unusual last time and I get asked on a daily basis where it's from etc so I just presumed people might be curious about your name too
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My name is somewhat unusual, and people always mishear it so I have to repeat myself once or twice. Gets pretty tedious after a while.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    My name is somewhat unusual, and people always mishear it so I have to repeat myself once or twice. Gets pretty tedious after a while.
    Yeah I'm the same >__> It gets really frustrating.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone my friend knows is called Tabitha Kettle.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    This.

Although it only has 4 letters, people have made many different combinations on how to pronounce my name.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have a strange name

i like it though- makes me unique!

but pronunciation can sometimes get annoying!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get people to refer to you by your last name? (Though this is from someone who's last name is Lee... :P)

I'm Chinese so I actually have two names - one Chinese and one English - and I used to be called by my Chinese name. Although it wasn't particularly hard name to pronouce I wanted to switch to Clara when I started secondary school as I knew no one and thought it would be easier to introduce myself and make my name more memorable/easier to spell etc.

So if you are really in distraught with your name then as the others have said use a nickname or shorthen your name etc. Seeing how you're starting uni with a 'clean slate' if you will you could always call yourself a different name as long as you think it suits

I was never refered to Clara (all my family still calls me by my Chinese name by the way) before I started secondary school but I never has a problem of not reconising that someone is talking to me.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had conversations and debates about my name... "is that really your name?" "Yes it -" "are you sure?" :sigh:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Trololol)
    Yeah I'm the same >__> It gets really frustrating.
    Me too. I don't think other people realise how much it sucks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is their not a nickname you could get from your surname either? I know you said it's unusual but I know plenty of people that go by a nickname from their surname eg Smithy from Smith, Gibbo from Gibson, Robbo from Robinson, (I know their fairly common names but you get the idea?)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People who are saying their names are weird/difficult should post what their name is.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it sadder that I have acquired a nickname over the years, taken from saying my last name in a different fashion. The thing is, I think this nickname is great as a name and often I've thought to myself that I like this nickname more than my given name, even though I have a good given name. I don't think I could ever change my name though

#firstworldproblems.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    People who are saying their names are weird/difficult should post what their name is.
    Agreed.

My name is by no means unusual, (although, my parents decided to spell it differently - meaning no-one says or spells it properly:rolleyes: ) but I always get asked how it's said.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 15, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.