Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

calling all macbook pro and windows laptop users!! (With a voting Poll)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Type of laptop best for me, depending on my use..
    Macbook Pro ( the one releasing in june) 15" 2.4
    44.44%
    Windows laptop
    55.56%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaddiescandy)
    Hey guys!
    I have around £1350 that I have saved up for a laptop. I dont want to save it or use it for something else since I have been saving for a long time and its time I make the BIG choice.

I will be using the laptop to:
    • Play music
    • Surf the internet
    • Edit HD videos with effects and music for my youtube channel
    • Play HD games such as GTA IV,V, MW3, FIFA 12 using a controller! ( I want to play these games on high settings)
    • Watch movies online and download software.
    • Use the laptop in UNI during lectures and work

So I have looked at both Macbook pro and Windows laptops.
    I like the mac since they are sleek, lasts a long time, "look the price" and have good specs.
    I will be putting windows on my Mac if I get it to run games and software.
    And I will be getting the Macbook pro which is supposed to come out this June 2012.

I have looked at many High tech laptops but cant make a choice

so I ask for you opinion, what should I buy?!

Please give me links to laptops....
    I want to spend the full £1350, if the laptop is worth it since I have been saving up for it!

So please dont tell me to save the money!

Thanks guys!
    How did you save so much?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, if I was you I would opt for a Windows Laptop. You can get a high-spec laptop that can run games on max settings with more FPS and less lag with that amount of money (and also render video files faster). I recommend you check these laptops out (Asus is a reliable brand):

http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/products...ing+Powerhouse

But don't get me wrong, the Macbook Pro looks like a well made laptop but it terms of gaming and bang for your buck, I would say Asus (a Windows laptop) is the overall winner
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thats the problem I am facing! What windows laptop would you suggest for gaming and video editing?
    Dunno, I don't really know too much about windows laptops in terms of what you can get for what price, except that the hardware on a windows laptop is generally a lot cheaper than the same hardware on a Mac. Best thing to do is do your research and look at whats on the market, whats upcoming and decide from there. If you find a few good laptops you could just make a new thread on here, and there are probably quite a few people, with more knowledge and expertise than me, who can say how good they are.

I think if you're going to be gaming and video editing a lot for your youtube channel then windows is the way to go.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a MacBook Pro, just not the one supposedly due for release as they're rumoured to be pushing it in the direction of the MacBook Air...slim, flash memory, less connectivity and no disk drive.

In my opinion...get the current Core i5 13-inch Pro and try and get a Snow Leopard back-up from someone so you can install that and ditch Lion...it's awful!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I would buy/build a super duper computer desktop which does your gaming/editing needs and then get a netbook if you'd like the portability for your internet browsing etc. still.
    This. Though if you really want a laptop, then for that amount of cash I'd recommend an Alienware laptop from Dell- they look ugly as hell IMO (which is why I bought the Dell XPS 17 instead) but daaayum those things run fast!

edit: :rofl: clearly I've touched a nerve with my "they're ugly as hell comment" :p: But it's just my opinion, you don;t have to agree
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake9)
    I've got the late 2011 15" macbook, and I can play most games on full, with silky smooth fps.
    games I've tried:
    • Mass Effect 3
    • Assassin's creed brotherhood
    • Portal 2
    • Deus Ex
    • GTA IV
    All except ME3 with native xbox 360 controller support, it does get pretty damn hot and loud though.

I can only assume the new model out in June(?) will perform even better.
    What resolution do you play these games on?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tushar9)
    How did you save so much?
    made money through ebay
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Windows Desktop
    can only get a laptop due to portability
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I cant have a desktop.. need a laptop only

any laptop suggestions?

I'm not particularly up on the top of the range laptops - you'd be better off asking someone else!

Edit: Calm down you neggers - this is just the truth, would you rather me recommend him something ****? No.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know, its just that I will get it when it does come out.
    Okay. Well that is in A YEAR. So don't lie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What resolution do you play these games on?
    native, so 1440x900
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    can only get a laptop due to portability
    For £1350 you can get the macbook pro 15 inch 2.2GHz quad with 6750m graphics (if you're using student discount, that is). I imagine the new one won't improve that much - if anything they might go integrated with the intel 4000 due to it's good performance (for an integrated card - it'd still be worse than the 6750m). If they do put a new gen card in I can't imagine them putting one in that's much better than the 6750m so let's use that for our basis.

Here's some benchmarks of the 6750m:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...M.43958.0.html

As a little snippet - it runs Battlefield 3 on High at 20 FPS

The other option, windows-wise, is something like this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...m_content=TB00

Okay so it's £1450 but by june it'll probably be more like £1350

It's a 17" screen, looks pretty thin and it's a little over a kilogram heavier than the 15" Macbook Pro so it's not doing bad so far.

Now it has the 2.3GHz Quad Core Ivy Bridge I7 Processor from Intel which is as good as it gets in a laptop really. It has a 1.5TB 7200RPM HDD with an 8GB SSD 'section' (assuming it's like the seagate momentus and Samsung spinpoint F3), 16GB RAM and most importantly a 2GB Nvidia 675M graphics card. Benches for that here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.70785.0.html With the highlight of BF3 at High settings again, though this gives an FPS of 54 here; over 2 and a half times as good as the Macbook's graphics card (though that will be improved - so lets say twice as good).

Those are the facts; and samsung are a very reliable brand. You get 1 years warranty but to get the 3 year warranty it's only £50.

It's up to you what decision you make now but if you're after gaming you can clearly see that the windows laptop is the right decision.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    For £1350 you can get the macbook pro 15 inch 2.2GHz quad with 6750m graphics (if you're using student discount, that is). I imagine the new one won't improve that much - if anything they might go integrated with the intel 4000 due to it's good performance (for an integrated card - it'd still be worse than the 6750m). If they do put a new gen card in I can't imagine them putting one in that's much better than the 6750m so let's use that for our basis.

Here's some benchmarks of the 6750m:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...M.43958.0.html

As a little snippet - it runs Battlefield 3 on High at 20 FPS

The other option, windows-wise, is something like this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...m_content=TB00

Okay so it's £1450 but by june it'll probably be more like £1350

It's a 17" screen, looks pretty thin and it's a little over a kilogram heavier than the 15" Macbook Pro so it's not doing bad so far.

Now it has the 2.3GHz Quad Core Ivy Bridge I7 Processor from Intel which is as good as it gets in a laptop really. It has a 1.5TB 7200RPM HDD with an 8GB SSD 'section' (assuming it's like the seagate momentus and Samsung spinpoint F3), 16GB RAM and most importantly a 2GB Nvidia 675M graphics card. Benches for that here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.70785.0.html With the highlight of BF3 at High settings again, though this gives an FPS of 54 here; over 2 and a half times as good as the Macbook's graphics card (though that will be improved - so lets say twice as good).

Those are the facts; and samsung are a very reliable brand. You get 1 years warranty but to get the 3 year warranty it's only £50.

It's up to you what decision you make now but if you're after gaming you can clearly see that the windows laptop is the right decision.
    according to lots of websites the new macbook is going to have ivy bridge i7. Also I dont want a 17" since they can get annoying for use in UNI. I can get the MBP 2.4GHz for the price also. Any other laptops you have in mind? I was gonna buy A 15" MBP and put in 16gb ram myself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake9)
    native, so 1440x900
    Thats not too bad, Im guessing I'll be able to run MW3 on that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    This. Though if you really want a laptop, then for that amount of cash I'd recommend an Alienware laptop from Dell- they look ugly as hell IMO (which is why I bought the Dell XPS 17 instead) but daaayum those things run fast!
    your right! I find them very ugly and chunky... I like the mac since its sleek and aluminium.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    your right! I find them very ugly and chunky... I like the mac since its sleek and aluminium.
    But if you're looking to game on it (and also, IMO, for a more user-friendly interface) then going for the Alienware option isn't a bad plan. Or you could go for a better version of the XPS than I have- it's sleek and aluminium, but I went for a version with slightly worse hardware as I didn't have the same high budget you do, so you could get a Dell XPS and just have better hardware inside?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    according to lots of websites the new macbook is going to have ivy bridge i7. Also I dont want a 17" since they can get annoying for use in UNI. I can get the MBP 2.4GHz for the price also. Any other laptops you have in mind? I was gonna buy A 15" MBP and put in 16gb ram myself.
    Oh sorry yeah I know the macbook will also have the 3rd Gen i7 - just making sure you realised that one did too. The 2.4GHz one is £1550 after student discount and I thought your budget was £1350? Also according to the apple website the 15" supports up to 8GB RAM (even with fitting it in yourself each slot only takes a max of 4GB).

It's hard to make recommendations when most manufacturers haven't yet released Ivy Bridge laptops. You'll get a clearer picture in a month or so.

Thats not too bad, Im guessing I'll be able to run MW3 on that.
    MW3 is one of the easiest modern games to run on PC you won't have a problem on Mac nor PC which has a dedicated graphics card - in fact, even the Intel 4000 can run it at med settings at about 40 fps
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    First of all Mac book pro is very good for video editing and visualizing if ur not interested in mac u can go for Dell ALienware...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rest)
    First of all Mac book pro is very good for video editing and visualizing if ur not interested in mac u can go for Dell ALienware...
    is it good for gaming on FIFA12? I dont like alienware as they are very ugly. Also any other suggestions??
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    You want to game with it, so get a windows machine. This is coming from a macbook pro user.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 20, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.