The Student Room Group

What's the most physically exhausting sport? (at professional level)

Scroll to see replies

mma
I would have thought that any sport which is based more on physical condition rather than skill would be equal. Things like rowing, running, cylcing should be the same because you have to push yourself to the max or the other person will push themselves harder and win but when i watch pro athletes they never seem that tired at the end which makes me wonder why they didnt push themselves harder. I have pushed myself so hard that I have collapsed or cannot stop being sick and I did that for no reason except to try and beat my pbs. I dont even take sport seriously so it makes me wonder why athletes can do interviews and things straight after, the should have just ran a bit faster and won the race. Its not true that althletes dont need to train as much for high intensity sports. Everyone is trying their hardest so you cant make up for being in poor shape by just trying harder than the others. I will go with marathon running as the most soul consuming just because of the length of time, I can imagine finishing the first mile and thinking there are 25 more to go, it must be horrible.
Reply 22
Swimming
Triathalon type things
Round the world sailing
Marathon
Basketball??
Reply 23
My first thought was marathon.
Reply 24
Squash, boxing, road cycling, long distance running.
Definitely Nordic skiing
Reply 26
Eating...Cos the more you do it the harder things get
I would have thought MMA/Martial arts are pretty high up there. Not only do you have to contend with constantly moving, being alert, keeping balance, and putting as much force behind your blows as you can which often involves a lot of work from your entire body, you also have to deal with what ever your sparring partner/opponent throws at you and you have to deal with the pain and injury sustained, reacting to how they move, and the psychological aspect. Although fights don't usually last very long.

Apart from that, I'd say it would have to be endurance sports like a marathon or the Iron Man competitions.
Athletics
- Decathlon or Heptathlon
Reply 29
Not exactly the most exhausting, but certainly the most painful: Japanese neon lamp fights.

Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Reply 30
Boxing. People who haven't boxed won't understand just how difficult it is. Speaking as a boxer who can consistently run at a pace of 5 minute miles for around 5 miles it is still a lot more difficult to do a 4 2 minute rounds in a bout trust me. This is because of the intensity and pressure. If you get tired you get beaten up so there is nowhere to hide. It's not for everyone but it's great. In terms of sheer aerobic difficulty though cycling is unreal.
Reply 31
Original post by burning-ape
I would have thought MMA/Martial arts are pretty high up there. Not only do you have to contend with constantly moving, being alert, keeping balance, and putting as much force behind your blows as you can which often involves a lot of work from your entire body, you also have to deal with what ever your sparring partner/opponent throws at you and you have to deal with the pain and injury sustained, reacting to how they move, and the psychological aspect. Although fights don't usually last very long.

Apart from that, I'd say it would have to be endurance sports like a marathon or the Iron Man competitions.

Boxing is more difficult due to the much longer fights. Unfortunately though this makes boxing a lot more risky as shown by the higher frequency of brutal knockouts and in the long term... brain damage.
Reply 32
Couple of people are mentioning marathon running - what about this?

[video="youtube;ALqaZ_e5WeY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqaZ_e5WeY[/video]
Reply 33
Original post by Sternumator
I would have thought that any sport which is based more on physical condition rather than skill would be equal. Things like rowing, running, cylcing should be the same because you have to push yourself to the max or the other person will push themselves harder and win but when i watch pro athletes they never seem that tired at the end which makes me wonder why they didnt push themselves harder. I have pushed myself so hard that I have collapsed or cannot stop being sick and I did that for no reason except to try and beat my pbs. I dont even take sport seriously so it makes me wonder why athletes can do interviews and things straight after, the should have just ran a bit faster and won the race. Its not true that althletes dont need to train as much for high intensity sports. Everyone is trying their hardest so you cant make up for being in poor shape by just trying harder than the others. I will go with marathon running as the most soul consuming just because of the length of time, I can imagine finishing the first mile and thinking there are 25 more to go, it must be horrible.

Marathon running is nothing compared to the tour de france and other similar events.
Cross country skiing (I'm sure I read that they generally have the highest VO2 maximum anyway), boxing, ultra long distance ****, blablabla.

Surprised only one other person mentioned the skiing.
Cycling.

Then football when you take the concentration, fitness levels etc all into concentration.
Reply 36
Original post by concubine
Cross country skiing (I'm sure I read that they generally have the highest VO2 maximum anyway), boxing, ultra long distance ****, blablabla.

The highest known V02 max was a cross country skier but in general they are about on par with road cyclists in terms of V02 max. Anyway not necessarily the most aerobically difficult but watch this video if you want to see what two tired boxers can look like. Find me an MMA fight with this much drama!!
(edited 11 years ago)
f1 racing
Reply 38
STEP papers
Reply 39
Original post by oo00oo
Squash.

You mean Men's Squash right?:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest