The Student Room Group

Is lad culture a problem or just a laugh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M4LLY
As a 'Lad' myself, i can say from experiance its just a way for the guys to enjoy themselves.

LAD.
Reply 41
Original post by prog2djent
What happens when you try to get 50 percent of the school population into UNI,

eh?

Gordan?

Nah. Lad culture is at least, if not more, prevalent at unis at the top end (RG/1994) than ex polys, thus you can guess it would still be around, and probably more noticeable, even if you cut the numbers down.

The laddiest of my mates mainly went to grammar schools and have AAA or AAB at A Level.

See here, here and, a whole column on the subject, here. If Oxbridge has plenty of it you can cut out as many as you like from uni, it will still be a part of uni culture.
Original post by Arekkusu
I cannot help but agree. Maybe this is why it happens at university so much - a female space these days, but as a humanities student maybe I'm biased.

With all due fairness, there are people at our uni sharing "LAD" stuff. I've got to admit, some are funny but some are sexist etc... and we outnumber girls by about 11:1 :eek:
My only issue with lad culture is that some people think that's the norm, which it very much isn't.
It shouldn't really be much of a problem for most of TSR at uni. Only unis like Bolton are filled with those types.
Original post by Joerumford
I think it's kinda outta control.

I'm sick of people like UniLad and their "banter".

Am I the only one that finds this trend very annoying?

I just read this and it made me even more annoyed.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-big-night-out-withbritains-biggest-lads

I guess Im just a boring nerd.

It's a load of cringeworthy people who have no humour, probably got bullied at school.

Because of their lack of humour and past they now tell us all how miuch they drink and how many birds they have shagged innit, because it is funny as ****.

****ing ****ers
if one more person puts the word 'lad' at the end of a word, I will punch them through a building. powerthirst 3 style...
Original post by M4LLY
As a 'Lad' myself, i can say from experiance its just a way for the guys to enjoy themselves.

Sounds really really gay, guys enjoying themselves.

Awwwww how sweet

Can you not hold normal humour between ytourselves so you ahve to act like ****ers everywhere, you boring clown.
HAHAHAHA LAD BANTER, LETS CHUG A BEER. WHOS UP FOR SOBAR TONIGHT. I BEST TAKE MY CAMERA AND TAKE LOADS OF PHOTOS TO UPLOAD ON FACEBOOK TO SHOW HOW MUCH OF A GOOD TIME WE'RE HAVING.

**** off
Reply 49
I don't understand how this 'lad' culture is meant to be new? 'Men Behaving Badly' was about substantially the same culture and that started in the early nineties. Ten years from now people will be complaining about lad culture and people will point to the inbetweeners episode where they visit a university (Warwick is it?) as an example of how it's always been around. Nothing is ever really new.
Some of it is a problem- for example that magazines such as FHM and Zoo lead to young women thinking of modelling or being a WAG as a career, so not fulfilling their academic and then career potential.
I'll tell you what truly silly: this lad culture of going out every night, buying lots of drinks, then complaining about not having money.

Honestly, people seem to treat uni like a holiday most of the time with a cram period just before exams. Maybe the tuition fees will help them get a grip on reality, at least the tax payer doesn't have to foot the bill for their three-year holiday any more.

And if tuition fees don't make them come round, it's ok, because there are more than enough hard working foreign students who can take their place in the economic-professional hierarchy. Britain needs smart, hard working immigrants to pick up the slack for these wasters in an ever-more competitive world.
Original post by pshewitt1
if one more person puts the word 'lad' at the end of a word, I will punch them through a building. powerthirst 3 style...

constructionLAD
Reply 54
Original post by Joerumford
I think it's kinda outta control.

I'm sick of people like UniLad and their "banter".

Am I the only one that finds this trend very annoying?

I just read this and it made me even more annoyed.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-big-night-out-withbritains-biggest-lads

I guess Im just a boring nerd.

Accidentally negged this but totally didn't mean to!
I think the 'lad culture' is WAY out of hand. 'Banter' breeds prejudice, that much is evident. So many of these 'laddish' jokes have blanantly racist, sexist or homophobic undertones. It's sickening.
Original post by pshewitt1

The wordplay is the only good thing about this lad stuff :biggrin:
Reply 56
Oh my god... I know Khan in that article, he is actually an alright guy in real life. Started going out with my ex after I had... My claim to fame.
Lad is bad it makes me mad
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
Couldn't agree more. In any sane continental European country these 'lads' would be doing vocational degrees as roofers or house painters. Or if they care about sports coaching so very much they can go coach some little kiddies.

Totally agree. University places should be preserved for the people who read classics, go to the theatre regularly and have at least two last names.
Reply 59
Can't stand it, people see video's of balotelli nearly breaking peoples legs on the pitch... and I see these comments...

"LAD"

Seriously? A lad for that? It's just ****ing retarded

Some things just go too far

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending