The Student Room Group

Is lad culture a problem or just a laugh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sconter
yea 1rd.

1rd
2st
3th

etc.

was his 1rd post.

I think you've made a mistake there, shouldn't it be "3nd"?
Reply 101
Original post by justinawe
I think you've made a mistake there, shouldn't it be "3nd"?

na, thirth sounds better. its 4nd.
Original post by original_username

If I feel the line between banter and bullying is being crossed I will speak out though.

1 - And you will then get shot down because it is just "banter".
2 - And isn't that the point anyway? That line differs from person to person.
Reply 103
Original post by WelshBluebird
1 - And you will then get shot down because it is just "banter".
2 - And isn't that the point anyway? That line differs from person to person.

just because someone take offense at something, it doesnt mean that it is offensive.
Reply 104
Original post by sconter
just because someone take offense at something, it doesnt mean that it is offensive.

Surely if someone is offended, the comment is offensive to that person? Offense is by nature subjective.
Banter

InsightfulcommentLAD
Original post by sconter
more women are going to uni than men, more women are getting better a-levels.

there are more men in high places because this wasnt always the case, it will take years for it to filter through and alter the proportion of men to women working. this is the same with everything.

women dont get paid less for the same job. women get paid less for their entire working life.. this is because many women have babies. women also get to retire earlier.

women in the army, who dont do the same job as men get paid the same, how is that equality. it is flawed.

why do men get treated much much worse in the courts? and that isnt limited to marital law in the slightest. for the same crimes women get much shorter sentences. women in british law can't be charged with rape. there was a thread on this a month or so ago, cba typing it out again.

genders stereotyping isnt as bad as the feminisation of men. men are supposed to be strong and successful, not because of social constructs but because of evolution.

Men get treated worse in the courts? Hmmm, what about all the women who suffer rape, yet only 6% of rapists are convicted? It works both ways, as I say, we breed the idea that men should be in higher places than women, but it affects both genders, and not in a good way! :frown:

Women do get paid less, for the same job, unfortunately. (Check out the Fawcett society for all these statistics). Women get paid an average of 15.5% less an hour than men, for doing the same job; that's the same overtime, equal maternity/paternity leave etc. This is because of certain flaws in the law, e.g. the Equal Pay Act 2010, which informs employers they may *wish* to review how much they pay their employees, rather than they *must* review. Women don't just suffer! Pakistani/Bangladeshi MEN are actually at the bottom of the pay ladder; race issues must be tackled too.

I don't know why Pakistani/Bangladeshi men are paid less, but there is reasoning for why women are... because the maternity and paternity laws are not equal. Employers are scared that a woman might run off and take 5 years worth of maternity leave! But, feminists would believe that this is detrimental for men too. Men aren't given the true freedom and choice to help out more around the house. Men have to live up to the tradition of being a breadwinner. The social aspects of unequal pay are very bad on both genders. :frown:

I'm going to leave it here, but hopefully I got across the point that feminism isn't necessarily what you thought it was. I do like a laugh! I love programmes like Family Guy, which might be considered quite *laddish*, but for me it is funny because it actually shows how crazy our world is! I can't really give a precise answer though, as we never really defined what being a *lad* actually is.
Reply 107
Original post by weetabixmonster
Men get treated worse in the courts? Hmmm, what about all the women who suffer rape, yet only 6% of rapists are convicted? It works both ways, as I say, we breed the idea that men should be in higher places than women, but it affects both genders, and not in a good way! :frown: there was a case in america (lying about rape is common for the sake of saving face, but this is an important example) where a girl claimed her father raped her, he spend 9 years in jail til she finally admitted that she lied. and he didnt have sex with her. his life ruined, and 9 years lost for something he didnt do. and the daughter's charge? nothing, as the female judge decided that it might stop women who were actually raped from coming forward if she was charged.. WUT?

the fact only 6% are convicted is a combination of 2 things. some, are innocent (that is the idea of a court do decide whether or not someone is guilt or not) and because it is impossible to prove alot of the time. that isnt sexist, if it can't be proved the person has to be found innocent

Women do get paid less, for the same job, unfortunately. (Check out the Fawcett society for all these statistics). Women get paid an average of 15.5% less an hour than men, for doing the same job; that's the same overtime, equal maternity/paternity leave etc. This is because of certain flaws in the law, e.g. the Equal Pay Act 2010, which informs employers they may *wish* to review how much they pay their employees, rather than they *must* review. Women don't just suffer! Pakistani/Bangladeshi MEN are actually at the bottom of the pay ladder; race issues must be tackled too. cant answer, cba researching

I don't know why Pakistani/Bangladeshi men are paid less, but there is reasoning for why women are... because the maternity and paternity laws are not equal. Employers are scared that a woman might run off and take 5 years worth of maternity leave! But, feminists would believe that this is detrimental for men too. Men aren't given the true freedom and choice to help out more around the house. Men have to live up to the tradition of being a breadwinner. The social aspects of unequal pay are very bad on both genders. :frown: true, but if i have a man and a woman both were equally good at their job, i would pick the man, because maternity pay laws are stupid. it isnt sexism. it is a trait that is different between men and women, and you are choosing your candidate, not on the fact they are male or female, but the fact you are trying to make a profit

I'm going to leave it here, but hopefully I got across the point that feminism isn't necessarily what you thought it was. I do like a laugh! I love programmes like Family Guy, which might be considered quite *laddish*, but for me it is funny because it actually shows how crazy our world is! I can't really give a precise answer though, as we never really defined what being a *lad* actually is.

dfdfs
Reply 108
Although I don't involve myself in 'lad culture', and I'm finding it to be pretty annoying and old now, others can do as they please. If anything, I think the real problem is that a lot of parents, and the government aren't providing kids/teenagers the proper motivation and discipline in their lives which they need.
I'm sick of this "LAD!" "TOP BANTS!" bollox.

I'm all for taking the piss and having a laugh but adding LAD on the end of the every word and going THIS IS GREAT BANTER is just annoying at this point.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sconter
that isnt what feminism is, feminism has a flawed understanding of equality.
you and others may have the right intentions, but you are under the wrong banner.

something that is 100% about equality cant be called FEM-anything.

Original post by sconter
adding lad to the end of everything started on truelad and spread. doesnt happen in real life.

banter is banter making fun of your friends its not bullying and, again, isnt a new thing. can't remember what else you said.

Original post by sconter
if you are arguing that i am wrong, you therefore are saying something else is right.

so you are.

Original post by sconter
more women are going to uni than men, more women are getting better a-levels.

there are more men in high places because this wasnt always the case, it will take years for it to filter through and alter the proportion of men to women working. this is the same with everything.

women dont get paid less for the same job. women get paid less for their entire working life.. this is because many women have babies. women also get to retire earlier.

women in the army, who dont do the same job as men get paid the same, how is that equality. it is flawed.

why do men get treated much much worse in the courts? and that isnt limited to marital law in the slightest. for the same crimes women get much shorter sentences. women in british law can't be charged with rape. there was a thread on this a month or so ago, cba typing it out again.

genders stereotyping isnt as bad as the feminisation of men. men are supposed to be strong and successful, not because of social constructs but because of evolution.

Original post by sconter

man, you just seem to have the answer to everything, don't you?
Reply 111
Original post by ANARCHY__
man, you just seem to have the answer to everything, don't you?

yes.

dont really know what you're getting at.
Reply 112
Original post by Mr.Zen
Although I don't involve myself in 'lad culture', and I'm finding it to be pretty annoying and old now, others can do as they please. If anything, I think the real problem is that a lot of parents, and the government aren't providing kids/teenagers the proper motivation and discipline in their lives which they need.

how is it the governments fault lol.
Reply 113
Original post by sconter
how is it the governments fault lol.

It is not the government's fault entirely that societal norms and trends are now dire, however, it is a contributing factor. If all men had compulsory military service like they used to, then I think a lot more people in society would be more responsible and hold better values. Discipline in the UK is now a joke, it's almost non existant. I do believe there are levels of it which are uncalled for, however being more or less completely devoid of it just leads to society going to the dogs.
Original post by sconter
yes.

dont really know what you're getting at.

nothing. maybe you should consider getting writing a book about it.
Reply 115
Original post by Mr.Zen
It is not the government's fault entirely that societal norms and trends are now dire, however, it is a contributing factor. If all men had compulsory military service like they used to, then I think a lot more people in society would be more responsible and hold better values. Discipline in the UK is now a joke, it's almost non existant. I do believe there are levels of it which are uncalled for, however being more or less completely devoid of it just leads to society going to the dogs.

lol.
Reply 116
Original post by ANARCHY__
nothing. maybe you should consider getting writing a book about it.

so on a forum having an opinion, that you can answer any question on is a bad thing to you, and leaves you open to snide remarks?

pls go.
Reply 117
This is an awesome LAD article - http://www.unilad.com/how-to-mess-****-up.html
Reply 118
Original post by sconter
lol.

lol? Man, I couldn't have hoped for a better response ! I agree with you wholeheartedly ! :pingu:
Reply 119
Original post by Mr.Zen
lol? Man, I couldn't have hoped for a better response ! I agree with you wholeheartedly ! :pingu:

theres no point responding. it is not the governments place to do that.

military service wouldnt help

i laugh at your position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending