The Student Room Group

Formalities in Equity

Alan executed a transfer of a registered freehold estate in land to Belinda and Charles, and simultaneously declared that they were to hold the land as trustees for David absolutely. The transfer to Belinda and Charles was duly registered but Alan’s declaration of trust was never reduced to writing.

Belinda and Charles later took the view that Alan’s oral declaration of trust was probably ineffective so they told Alan that they had no intention of carrying out the trust. This suited Alan since he had changed his mind in the meanwhile and now preferred to see the land go to Edward instead. He orally directed Belinda and Charles to transfer the registered estate to Edward as beneficial proprietor. Belinda and Charles duly executed the memorandum of transfer and passed it to their own solicitor to hold until the date arranged for completion with Edward. Alan died suddenly before completion.

Belinda and Charles are unsure whether they should still proceed with the transaction.
Advise them.

I attempted this question earlier and according to the examiner's report, I am one of the many fools who misunderstood it. My issue is that the wonderful examiners didn't deign to explain how to not misunderstand it. As such, I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following points:

1) There is an oral direction to transfer a registered estate to E as beneficial proprietor but the examiners got annoyed because people didn't realise E was to become the registered legal owner. I assume this is because of the memo of transfer. Can B and C even go against A's wishes? I assumed he was going to be the beneficiary but I guess not (and to add for clarity, I'm aware there's a chance A can't direct B and C to do anything if Rochefoucauld operates in D's favour but I'm considering the alternative since that outcome hasn't been decided in law)

2) Really stupid question following that. If you want to transfer your trust of land, does S.53(1)(c) apply or S.53(1)(a) and if the latter, would I discuss Vandervell/Grey line of cases?

3) Apparently there is an agency issue here. I tried to work this out. Can B and C really be the agents if they're the trustees? Is it because A would be the one who needs to do the writing but B and C have the power to do so?

4) Re Rose apparently fails here. Is it because all they're doing is waiting for a date and so there is still stuff to do on that date?

Any help would be absolutely wonderful :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Advice is sought on whether B and C should still proceed with the transaction of legal and equitable title to E.

Where is the legal and equitable title?

First part of the problem:
--> Legal transfer of land to B + C (formalities observed);
--> but s.53(1)(b) not observed (trust of land must be declared in writing).
--> So the trust for D (with B+C as trustees) technically fails. SO Legal title is with B+C.
--> Has the trust been formed? TWO possible answers: (1) the trust has not been formed, therefore B+C hold legal title on resulting trust for A. (2) the trust has been formed through "constructive trust" mechanism: "equity will not allow Statute to be an instrument of Fraud" (Rochefoucauld).
--> If (1): legal title is with B+C, and beneficial with A; if (2): legal title with B+C, and beneficial with D.

Second part of the problem:
--> Intention of the settlor: to transfer legal and beneficial title to E.
--> If (1): need for s.53(1)(c) formalities: A needs to do it in writing for disposition of beneficial interest. It can be done by an agent "lawfully authorised in writing or by will": B+C not authorised in writing, therefore fails.
BUT possibility, that Vandervell No 1 exception applies: both legal and beneficial move together, so no need for s.53(1)(c).
--> If (2): Will depend on whether D was informed of the will to transfer property to him, whereby problem of proprietary estoppel.

--> THE ANSWER DEPENDS on the legitimate expectations of D in the first instance. (If D has a legitimate expectation of receiving property, then B+C should not go ahead with transaction)
--> THE ANSWER ALSO DEPENDS on the expectations of E. Re Rose: has he done everything within his power? I think so... but you say he hasn't. Then Choithram v Pagarani and Pennington v Waine: would be "unconscionable" to defeat the gift (Maxim: "equity will not strive officiously to defeat a gift"). (If E has the expectation of receiving property it would be unconscionable for them not to continue with transaction)

As for RE ROSE: I don't know what you mean by "it fails here". If you mean that "the settlor did not do all that was within his power". Maybe it does fail, and i should think it is because E was not informed of the transfer, whereas in Re Rose, the wife was waiting for the transfer (?)

NOT SURE IF THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS!!! I have to admit, I had trouble answering them. Post your attempt at this question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
explain how to not misunderstand it.

1. [I]Alan executed a transfer of a registered freehold estate in land to Belinda and Charles, The transfer to Belinda and Charles was duly registeredX
The above is give as fact. Period.

2. simultaneously declared that they were to hold the land as trustees for David absolutely.Alan’s declaration of trust was never reduced to writing.
Oral declaration of trust (beneficial interests). What are the rules?

3. Belinda and Charles duly executed the memorandum of transfer and passed it to their own solicitor to hold until the date arranged for completion with Edward.
Same rules as above, comment if this has met the requirement.

A few words or hints of "oral" and people got tripped?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
[QUOTE="ktwolves;37556094"]explain how to not misunderstand it.

1. Alan executed a transfer of a registered freehold estate in land to Belinda and Charles, The transfer to Belinda and Charles was duly registeredX
The above is give as fact. Period.

2. simultaneously declared that they were to hold the land as trustees for David absolutely.Alan’s declaration of trust was never reduced to writing.
Oral declaration of trust (beneficial interests). What are the rules?

3. Belinda and Charles duly executed the memorandum of transfer and passed it to their own solicitor to hold until the date arranged for completion with Edward.

Hints at "oral" declarations of trusts directs the question towards formalities: s.53 etc., but I doubt that's where people tripped up.

Oral declaration of Trust (beneficial interests)

beneficial interests? It's a declaration of trust in land... which needs both a 'perfect' transfer (done), and in declaration in writing (s.53(1)(b)).

Same rules? As I said above, you must determine where beneficial and legal title are before you can consider which formalities are needed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Another thought on Re Rose:

You might not have to be able to determine whether Re Rose applies, but you might have to consider both outcomes: if it applies..., if it doesn't apply...
Original post by wanitto
Advice is sought on whether B and C should still proceed with the transaction of legal and equitable title to E.

Where is the legal and equitable title?

First part of the problem:
--> Legal transfer of land to B + C (formalities observed);
--> but s.53(1)(b) not observed (trust of land must be declared in writing).
--> So the trust for D (with B+C as trustees) technically fails. SO Legal title is with B+C.
--> Has the trust been formed? TWO possible answers: (1) the trust has not been formed, therefore B+C hold legal title on resulting trust for A. (2) the trust has been formed through "constructive trust" mechanism: "equity will not allow Statute to be an instrument of Fraud" (Rochefoucauld).
--> If (1): legal title is with B+C, and beneficial with A; if (2): legal title with B+C, and beneficial with D.

Second part of the problem:
--> Intention of the settlor: to transfer legal and beneficial title to E.
--> If (1): need for s.53(1)(c) formalities: A needs to do it in writing for disposition of beneficial interest. It can be done by an agent "lawfully authorised in writing or by will": B+C not authorised in writing, therefore fails.
BUT possibility, that Vandervell No 1 exception applies: both legal and beneficial move together, so no need for s.53(1)(c).
--> If (2): Will depend on whether D was informed of the will to transfer property to him, whereby problem of proprietary estoppel.

--> THE ANSWER DEPENDS on the legitimate expectations of D in the first instance. (If D has a legitimate expectation of receiving property, then B+C should not go ahead with transaction)
--> THE ANSWER ALSO DEPENDS on the expectations of E. Re Rose: has he done everything within his power? I think so... but you say he hasn't. Then Choithram v Pagarani and Pennington v Waine: would be "unconscionable" to defeat the gift (Maxim: "equity will not strive officiously to defeat a gift"). (If E has the expectation of receiving property it would be unconscionable for them not to continue with transaction)

As for RE ROSE: I don't know what you mean by "it fails here". If you mean that "the settlor did not do all that was within his power". Maybe it does fail, and i should think it is because E was not informed of the transfer, whereas in Re Rose, the wife was waiting for the transfer (?)

NOT SURE IF THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS!!! I have to admit, I had trouble answering them. Post your attempt at this question.

Thanks.

As I said, I have no problem with the first part, regarding David and Rochefoucauld since the answer depends on if you favour Youdan or Feltham.

My first question was, essentially, that A tells B and C to hold for E as BENEFICIAL PROPRIETOR but they execute a transfer form, suggesting LEGAL TRANSFER which lead me to wonder if they had the power to alter A's expectations or if my land law is still as abysmal as it was for most of last year and beneficial proprietor means legal ownership...

You answered the second one for me so cheers :smile:

The third question, about agency, still confuses me - can the trustees be the agents?

As for Re Rose, the examiner's report says something like "Candidates were too quick to assume Re Rose applied (in fact, on the facts, it does not)". We can't assume E was or wasn't told - generally (at my uni at least) if they want us to know a fact, they say it out loud, for example, "Without telling Edward, Alan told B and C to..." As they haven't, I have to discuss both possibilities. But I'm just not sure what else they could have done - you could be right, about needing to tell E (which would make sense given that a beneficiary must know they are a beneficiary unless the class is so wide...). Yeah, that makes sense actually. Cheers.

I understand the Pennington point and I came to the same conclusion as you i.e. it would only be unconscionable if E has been told, perhaps using the analysis in Curtis v Pulbrook to discuss whether Pennington is just proprietary estoppel in which case evidence of detrimental reliance is also needed.

ktwolves, thank you for informing me this question is about the rules relating to oral declarations of trust. Did you actually read my questions or just the first few lines of the problem?
Original post by gethsemane342

My first question was, essentially, that A tells B and C to hold for E as BENEFICIAL PROPRIETOR but they execute a transfer form, suggesting LEGAL TRANSFER which lead me to wonder if they had the power to alter A's expectations or if my land law is still as abysmal as it was for most of last year and beneficial proprietor means legal ownership...

I think when they say proprietor they mean legal owner, particularly since A asks B and C to transfer to E - it could be clearer!

On Re Rose not applying, I wonder whether the point is that in Re Rose the would-be transferor was the beneficial owner, and he came to hold on constructive trust for the intended transferee, whereas in this case B and C are trustees?
Original post by Festina lente
I think when they say proprietor they mean legal owner, particularly since A asks B and C to transfer to E - it could be clearer!

On Re Rose not applying, I wonder whether the point is that in Re Rose the would-be transferor was the beneficial owner, and he came to hold on constructive trust for the intended transferee, whereas in this case B and C are trustees?

And this is exactly why I don't like land law :tongue: (Which is ironic given that it was by far my best mark. All I can say is that it wasn't because of my grasp of terminology). I suspect that's why so many candidates got confused. Thanks!

Maybe? I thought the point of Re Rose is that you have to do everything in your power to effect the transfer which I didn't think would be affected by who has what, as such. But I guess it could be that since the trustees are the transferors ... nope, still confused because surely if *they've* done everything possible, it should be fine?

Gah, I would ask my supervisor but that requires phoning him up and I feel sort of weird about phoning his house and asking for help...
And this is exactly why I don't like land law :tongue: (Which is ironic given that it was by far my best mark. All I can say is that it wasn't because of my grasp of terminology). I suspect that's why so many candidates got confused. Thanks!

Maybe? I thought the point of Re Rose is that you have to do everything in your power to effect the transfer which I didn't think would be affected by who has what, as such. But I guess it could be that since the trustees are the transferors ... nope, still confused because surely if *they've* done everything possible, it should be fine?

Gah, I would ask my supervisor but that requires phoning him up and I feel sort of weird about phoning his house and asking for help...

Hmm, I see what you're saying, but in this case B and C weren't trying to create a trust, they were going about bringing it to an end, so it seems as though Re Rose doesn't fit. But if it could be applied to this situation, I see your point that they are awaiting a completion date rather than a third party's action.

I wouldn't worry about phoning him, he'll just think you're really enthusiastic!
Original post by Festina lente
Hmm, I see what you're saying, but in this case B and C weren't trying to create a trust, they were going about bringing it to an end, so it seems as though Re Rose doesn't fit. But if it could be applied to this situation, I see your point that they are awaiting a completion date rather than a third party's action.

I wouldn't worry about phoning him, he'll just think you're really enthusiastic!

Oh, I see - Re Rose doesn't apply if the gift involves a transfer of legal title then. That makes sense. Thank you so much, you are literally my favourite person right now!

(The other reason I don't fancy phoning him up is in our revision supervision, for all but 2 of my questions, his answer was, "I don't know". Not exactly helpful)
Reply 10
ktwolves, thank you for informing me this question is about the rules relating to oral declarations of trust. Did you actually read my questions or just the first few lines of the problem?

Belinda and Charles later took the view that Alan’s oral declaration of trust was probably ineffective so they told Alan that they had no intention of carrying out the trust. This suited Alan.

Before applying section 53(1) (c), we need to note that this section can only apply after legal and equitable title had already being divorced. Were the interests divorced when A declared "simultaneously declared that they were to hold the land as trustees for David."

If the beneficial interest remains undisposed. As equity is said to abhor a vacuum, someone must be entitled to the property, Alan retains the beneficial interest Section 53 (2), Resulting Trust, back to donor. Vandervell v IRC.

Can B and C even go against A's wishes?
Under the rule of Saunders v Vautier, beneficiary can call for the end of legal title and declare a new trust, if come to that.

I meant focus is to deal with what Alan can do, eg "simultaneous declaration" in order not to be distracted, before dealing with what the rest might do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
This problem seems to be solved! cool.

BUT one more thing (which doesn't really affect the rest of the answer):

The third question, about agency, still confuses me - can the trustees be the agents?

Trustee Act 2000: Trustees have the power to appoint agents. Wouldn't that mean that powers of agency are vested in the trustees in the first place?
Or maybe, two acts were undertaken by the Settlor: one was creating a trust with B+C as trustees, and the other was appointing B+C as agents for the transfer.
Reply 12
Trustee is a fiduciary. A fiduciary arises from a principal and agent relationship. This relationship requires the agent to act solely interest of the principal. Unless specifically prohibited, trustee can delegate his duties such as appoint an agent to perform the necessary tasks.
Original post by wanitto
This problem seems to be solved! cool.

BUT one more thing (which doesn't really affect the rest of the answer):

Trustee Act 2000: Trustees have the power to appoint agents. Wouldn't that mean that powers of agency are vested in the trustees in the first place?
Or maybe, two acts were undertaken by the Settlor: one was creating a trust with B+C as trustees, and the other was appointing B+C as agents for the transfer.

I assumed the agency point was to do with S.53, given that one of the subsections doesn't mention agency so there's a debate as to whether an agent can sign or not.

Ah well, a friend of mine has somehow convinced one of last year's examiners to go through that past paper with a group of us next week so I can ask her then. She wrote the paper, she *must* know the answer :smile:
Reply 14
I assumed the agency point was to do with S.53, given that one of the subsections doesn't mention agency so there's a debate as to whether an agent can sign or not.

Ah well, a friend of mine has somehow convinced one of last year's examiners to go through that past paper with a group of us next week so I can ask her then. She wrote the paper, she *must* know the answer :smile:

OK, well that doesn't preclude what I said about B+C as agents (the discussion may ensue... although, I doubt there actually is a discussion; statute either allows or not, and rule of interpretation: must look at the whole of the statute [so if allowed in one place, but silent in another, it is safe to assume that it is not allowed])

I'd ask for you to post the answers after meeting with the prof, but my exam's on Monday...!
Original post by wanitto
OK, well that doesn't preclude what I said about B+C as agents (the discussion may ensue... although, I doubt there actually is a discussion; statute either allows or not, and rule of interpretation: must look at the whole of the statute [so if allowed in one place, but silent in another, it is safe to assume that it is not allowed])

I'd ask for you to post the answers after meeting with the prof, but my exam's on Monday...!

If B and C are the trustees, they're the ones who make the agents with regard to the Trustee Act in which case the solicitor is the agent, not them. But I don't see why agency is relevant at all.
Reply 16
Hi dear

I want to know if the beneficiaries recieve no assest undre discretionary trust, can the beneficiary challenge the trustees' use of discretion and whether the beneficiary can find out the exact terms of the trust and the contents of any instructions the settlor gave the trustees.
Reply 17
The overriding principle is that the trustee must act in the interest of the beneficiary, it is a relationship of trust and loyalty. Duties of the trustee will reflect this fundamental principle.
Original post by vicknjoku
Hi dear

I want to know if the beneficiaries recieve no assest undre discretionary trust, can the beneficiary challenge the trustees' use of discretion and whether the beneficiary can find out the exact terms of the trust and the contents of any instructions the settlor gave the trustees.

What are the facts behind it?

The beneficiary can apply to the court for disclosure of the trust deed and letters of wishes as per Breakspear v Ackland [2008] but this is subject to the principle of confidentiality.

The beneficiary can challenge but it would depend what the facts were.
Reply 19
IIRC this question was on last years paper, the way I would answer would be as follows.

1, Legal transfer of land made correctly to the trustees however the creation of the express trust fails due to it not being in signed writing as required by Section 53(1)(b). Therefore one of three possibilities, the trust fails so B and C take legal title without being subject to a trust, the trust fails so property reverts back to Alan or the trust fails but a resulting trust arises in favour of David. The first would be unconscionable as it would be clearly contrary to the will of the settlor for B + C to claim to be outright owners, and the third pretty much ignores the statute which it is not open for the courts to do. Therefore the best explanation (and the one I think we should go with) is that B + C can choose to exercise the trust in favour of David and if they do that then Alan cannot complain, but if they choose not to do this then a resulting trust arises in favour of Alan which means the property reverts back to him.

2, For the second part therefore Alan has a beneficial interest which he can choose to alienate if he wants to. 53(1)(c) of the LPA 1925 states that dispositions of equitable interests must be made in writing and Grey v IRC confirms this (although that case is pretty unsuprising and actually doesn't really say anything additional to the statute, it was argued on a now irrelevant point on the meaning of diposition and how it was carried forth into the 1925 act). However in Vandervell (NO.1) where the beneficiary directed the trustees to transfer legal and equitable title together it was held that this did not activate section 53 and therefore did not need to be in signed writing. Unfortunately the House of Lords did not explain why this was the case and as such there has been a lot of speculation as to possible explanations. The best is the overreaching explanation of Prof Nolan which you can find in his article, it makes good sense but unfortunately as of yet there isn't any case authority for it being the correct approach. For the moment, and for this problem, I think its best just to be aware that Vandervell is good law on this point rather than worrying about why.
As B + C are already legal title holders to the land there is not a 53(1)(b) point because they have carried the transfer out using a memorandum. The way I see it is that Alan is exercising his Saunders and Vautier rights in having the property transferred to Edward and there isn't a need for an agency arguement. Besides these facts are almost identical to those in Vandervell (No.1) and so we know its something that is allowed.

3, The long standing maxim is that equity will not perfect and inperfect gift. Case law on this really stems from Milroy v Lord but over the years the maxim has been substantially eroded by cases such as Re Rose, Pennington v Waine etc. . which I shall discuss now.
Re Rose is an exception whereby the court will perfect the gift when the individual giving it has done all that is within there power to effect the transfer but the transfer is dependant on the actions of a 3rd party which had not been yet carried out. If the transfer deeds are still with the donors agent (solicitor in this case) then you have not done everything within your power to make the transfer and hence Re Rose cannot perfect the gift. Pagarini won't help either, that concerns a different point. The case you need to look at is Pennington v Waine where the court of appeal felt able to complete a gift that had been interupted by the death of the donor on the grounds that it would have been unconscionable for the gift to be revoked at that point. Unfortunately the ratio of the case did not give a clear indication of at what actual point during the process it would have been unconscionable to revoke the gift and it seems likely that the case was decided the way it was to give the most desirable result in the circumstances and that had the donor not died then it would have been decided the other way. Nevertheless it remains part of the law and therefore must be considered. I've thought up a couple of possible points and which unconscionability could arise, intention to create the gift, attempt to make the gift, the donee receiving knowledge of the gift, the donee having a legitimate expectation of receiving the gift and the donee relying on the gift to their detriment. I really can't tell you which one is correct thats for you to discuss and make an arguement about, my thoughts are either legitimate expectation or detrimental reliance which slight favour on legitimate expectation because it fits the facts of the case better. In my opinion though the case was wrongly decided and the court of appeal should have tried to find another route to achieve the desirable end or else allow the gift to fail.

I hope that helps feel free to make any comments or disagree with anything that I've said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending