Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quick question.. what does this question mean?

Announcements Posted on
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Explain why Britain signed an alliance with Japan in 1902.

Do I talk about just why Britain wanted to, or can I talk about what Japan had to gain?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Explain why Britain signed an alliance with Japan in 1902.

Do I talk about just why Britain wanted to, or can I talk about what Japan had to gain?
    Both I guess.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Both I guess.
    But then wouldn't it be "Explain why Britain and Japan signed an alliance in 1902?"

I'm so confused
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The question says explain why Britain signed, not explain why Japan signed. You should explain the British motivations.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    But then wouldn't it be "Explain why Britain and Japan signed an alliance in 1902?"

I'm so confused
    That's a good point. Probably just the British interests then. I'm sure you could slip in a little something about the Japanese interests if you have the time/run out of things to talk about though.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    The question says explain why Britain signed, not explain why Japan signed. You should explain the British motivations.

(Original post by ForensicShoe)
    That's a good point. Probably just the British interests then. I'm sure you could slip in a little something about the Japanese interests if you have the time/run out of things to talk about though.
    But that's the thing, it's a 24 mark question and I won't run out of time because I don't have enough things to talk about.

This is all I can find:

1 Could no longer follow the splendid isolation policy, worrying about the rising powers of Germany, France and Russia etc.

2. After the Boer War, countries felt hostile towards Britain so they struggled to find an alliance. The UK found common ground between Japan, in 1900 Russia occupied Manchuria, China and Japan wanted Russia to stay away from China.

3. Keep an eye out of Russia, India and China. India was considered the 'crown-trophy of the Empire' and was vital to Britain's economic interests, signing this agreement could be seen as a deterrent to Russia in intervening in either countries.

4. Germany and France had a good naval position in Eastern Europe, Alliance with Japan would strengthen their naval position in that area. Germany and France's naval position was a threat to China, who's economy Britain owned.

Obviously this isn't worth 24 marks, can someone recommend me some other points?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 11, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.