B448 - Rename the country Bill 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    A new age of imperialism is dawning and it our birthright as Englishmen to divide and conquer. We must kick start this new era by claiming a new name, a new national anthem and a new attitude. We alone have the iron will to dominate this new world, it is time to stop our inevitable decline and once again rise up to lead this new world. All hail Britannia!
    Why would we adopt the latin name for our Island when we speak English, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish etc. All Germanic or Britannic languages. It'd be like renaming our country in mandarin chinese, there really is no point. Also, our current name describes what we are. A union of kingdoms.

Did this ever see the Government or Tory forums, because I dont remember it...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Why would we adopt the latin name for our Island when we speak English, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish etc. All Germanic or Britannic languages. It'd be like renaming our country in mandarin chinese, there really is no point. Also, our current name describes what we are. A union of kingdoms.

Did this ever see the Government or Tory forums, because I dont remember it...
    Yes it is on the government notepad.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pointless and expensive. Think about everything that would have to be changed..
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanlas)
    For the benefit of the HOC, could you please expand on your Grand Plan to recreate our Empire? Who are you going to invade first? Or do you just think that when they see our new name, other countries be terrified and surrender to us?
    Well, we'll quickly establish a foothold in Europe
    Spoiler:
    Show

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A surprise, to say the least, but a no.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    The member has got more important matters to attend to rather than producing stupid bills
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No. Too much paperwork/money etc etc. Besides, i'm still coming to terms with the demotion of Pluto as a planet and if they remain the country my poor little brain wouldn't be able to take it *sniff sniff* :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    The member has got more important matters to attend to rather than producing stupid bills
    I used to say the same for every non government bill because they were all stupid stuff like sun tan bills. Then I gave up because it isn't worth my time even acknowledging them any more so I automatically just vote or abstain.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    With respect Morgsie, any member of this House is free to produce whatever Bills they so wish. Would you criticise me if I submitted a non - Foreign Affairs related Bill?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    I used to say the same for every non government bill because they were all stupid stuff like sun tan bills. Then I gave up because it isn't worth my time even acknowledging them any more so I automatically just vote or abstain.
    You have done absolutely nothing regarding Transport.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    So?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    With respect Morgsie, any member of this House is free to produce whatever Bills they so wish. Would you criticise me if I submitted a non - Foreign Affairs related Bill?
    NO because your Leader of UKIP and you can submit Party Bills etc.

I am pointing out that the Transport Secretary has done nothing in his role and other people have noticed this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    urgh, really? were called that? fml.

just go back to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland ffs, none of this imperial bull, and for the love of god, drop the word "great" from the name, I know a lot of people in this country are arrogant sods but do we really need to make it quite so obvious to the rest of the world? surely history gives them enough reason to despise us as is.
    You are clearly an ignorant idiot. "Great Britain" refers specifically to the island which contains England, Scotland, and Wales. "Lesser Britain" refers to the area now known as Brittany, in France. English monarchs held lands in France for centuries. In 1604, James I (first of Scotland, and then England & Scotland) declared himself King of Great Britain because he ruled the entire island rather than just one of the countries on it. It has nothing to do with perceived greatness, it is a geographical terminology. The problem in this country isn't arrogance, it is fundamental ignorance about even the most basic facts of the nation displayed by people like yourself. Did your parents not teach you stuff like this?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:

I am pointing out that the Transport Secretary has done nothing in his role and other people have noticed this.
    You're missing one important thing here - other people don't care.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you ever lighten up? It's just a game/ride, don't take things so seriously.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Transport is perfect. The roads are good and the traffic lights work what more do you want?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't think that they have Morgsie and I'm not sure why you're criticising him as such because surely a Bill produces activity regardless of the department that it is for.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I don't think that they have Morgsie and I'm not sure why you're criticising him as such because surely a Bill produces activity regardless of the department that it is for.
    Well, Morgsie hasn't written any transport bills either. Oooh look:

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is not thought through, money spent on re-branding if this passes

The Transport Secretary should be concentrating on Transport, where is the Transport Bills?????
    Instead of you racing to us about putting forward the wrong type of Bill in your opinion, get your head down, and get working on some Constitutional Amendments. Where's this grand DQT you're supposed to be proposing? You're supposed to be focusing on constitutional issues, nothing from you on that so far?

For the record on this bill. No.
Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Rice cooker in your uni halls?

Would you bring a rice cooker to uni?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.