Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever travelled alone to a country? How daunting is it?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to travel to a country on my own, but I'm 23 and never been on holiday on my own before. I know it would probably be daunting, but how daunting is it? Have any of you experienced travelling on your own? And if you haven't, would you travel alone?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you know the language, it's pretty easy.

Been to a couple of places alone where I didn't know the language. Just passing through and it was fun. If it's the first world it will be pretty hard for you to come to any great harm so don't worry about it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a fair chunk of Europe for 3 months by myself. It was daunting for the first day or so until I realised there was no chance of me hating/getting bored of travelling solo and that I loved drifting from place to place, meeting new people, partying every night, taking in new sights and sounds daily, learning about different cultures, speaking bits of new languages... what's not to love. So long as you stay in hostels, it's pretty much impossible not to meet people so you won't be lonely and to be honest, I quite like/am comfortable in my own company so it wasn't as much of an issue for me to be constantly surrounded by people anyway. I was definitely much more uneasy about actually planning to do it than doing it itself. Seriously, it is the best way to spend time/money and provided me with the best experience of my life so far (and I'm sure there will be more to come...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My family have homes in the US and Italy so I have been there before alone a few times to be alone so I can revise, as long as you have enough money and means of contacting home it's fine. The first time was a bit scary but after a few days it was fine.
    That was going to my house though so maybe that was why it wasn't daunting, I wouldn't fancy going on 'holiday' or traveling on my own, purely because it would be horrifically boring and traveling can be quite dangerous.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive just come back from two years of travelling on my own to South East Asia and Australia. It was the best thing ever did. I met friends for life. Travelling on your own isnt dangerous or boring. You broaden your horizions and learn to speak to diffrent people from alll walks of life. Yeah it is scary at first but within a week you will have met friends and settled in. Good luck you will love it!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    I want to travel to a country on my own, but I'm 23 and never been on holiday on my own before. I know it would probably be daunting, but how daunting is it? Have any of you experienced travelling on your own? And if you haven't, would you travel alone?
    People in real life would think you were strange. A bit like if you went clubbing on your own (this one is creepy too). It's the kind of thing you do with friends, family or a gf/bf. Going on holiday on your own (unless it's for work/business) shows you haven't really got any friends who like you enough to be around you for a few weeks, no offence.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    People in real life would think you were strange. A bit like if you went clubbing on your own (this one is creepy too). It's the kind of thing you do with friends, family or a gf/bf. Going on holiday on your own (unless it's for work/business) shows you haven't really got any friends who like you enough to be around you for a few weeks, no offence.
    I'm guessing you're probably the kind of person that doesn't do anything exciting that is out of the ordinary because you're worried what people think. If the guy wants to away on holiday by himself and is happy to do so then screw what other people may think. Some people choose to holiday by themselves despite having a load of friends that could go with, because they actually want to set their itinerary for the week without compromise. Nothing wrong with being comfortable or wanting to spend time in your own company or holidaying by yourself at all.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    I'm guessing you're probably the kind of person that doesn't do anything exciting that is out of the ordinary because you're worried what people think. If the guy wants to away on holiday by himself and is happy to do so then screw what other people may think. Some people choose to holiday by themselves despite having a load of friends that could go with, because they actually want to set their itinerary for the week without compromise. Nothing wrong with being comfortable or wanting to spend time in your own company or holidaying by yourself at all.
    Knew I'd get this response. It really depends on the situation and where you draw the line. Personally I think going on holiday by yourself, much like clubbing by yourself, is kind of weird. I agree you shouldn't be dictated to by other people, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I moved to UAE and then later to Egypt alone. That was pretty fun. But I have to say I never properly just traveled alone, just moved to new countries I guess the only time I was "traveling" alone was going from Sweden (I'm Swedish) to Denmark for a 2day stay.. Not so exiting I guess..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    Hey man,

Unlike what some of the others have said, I highly recommend that you do this! Traveling on your own is going to be one of the most transformative experiences of your life. It can be one of the most challenging experiences of your life--you have only you to rely on. But you're rarely ever alone. I traveled through Europe, Turkey, and Africa by myself... mostly in hostels. I went out, met so many fantastic people, make life-long friends I would've otherwise never met! Plus, you don't have to worry about other people not wanting to do what you want to do. Take a lot of time, be spontaneous. You'll learn so much about yourself.

Everyone should travel by themselves. It gives you confidence; it really changes who you are. And this junk about not doing stuff alone--if you don't do stuff alone, then you won't ever make friends to do things with you! Believe me, there are so many people staying at hostels just like you. You'll have the time of your life. I've done this in third world countries and in places that were kind of dangerous... for your first time, try somewhere a bit more chill and less bothersome (backpack Italy--it will be the best two weeks of your life... Italian women... need I say more ).

Do it! You'll forever remember your experiences.... you'll wish you had taken more time to do so.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Knew I'd get this response. It really depends on the situation and where you draw the line. Personally I think going on holiday by yourself, much like clubbing by yourself, is kind of weird. I agree you shouldn't be dictated to by other people, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.
    Going clubbing by yourself is now seen negatively by the majority of people not because of the actual act of being by yourself, but more the general demeanour and behaviour of the average lone clubber i.e. lecherous, seedy, sleazy... whatever you want to call it, older gent. It's that stereotype that makes it a social faux pas. But people in general would be find this kind of person distasteful even if they rocked up with a bunch of other people. If some Robert Pattinson-esque figure went to a club by himself and casually chatted/charmed people and danced the night away, nobody would probably either a) notice or b) think him strange.

Regardless, it's a moot point, as going on holiday by yourself is perfectly socially acceptable anyway and is not necessarily indicative of being "lonely". I just think it's sad that people would potentially forego the opportunity of doing something they really wanted to do or going somewhere they wanted to go simply because of social norms dictating they shouldn't do it alone.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going clubbing by yourself is now seen negatively by the majority of people not because of the actual act of being by yourself, but more the general demeanour and behaviour of the average lone clubber i.e. lecherous, seedy, sleazy... whatever you want to call it, older gent. It's that stereotype that makes it a social faux pas. But people in general would be find this kind of person distasteful even if they rocked up with a bunch of other people. If some Robert Pattinson-esque figure went to a club by himself and casually chatted/charmed people and danced the night away, nobody would probably either a) notice or b) think him strange.

Regardless, it's a moot point, as going on holiday by yourself is perfectly socially acceptable anyway and is not necessarily indicative of being "lonely". I just think it's sad that people would potentially forego the opportunity of doing something they really wanted to do or going somewhere they wanted to go simply because of social norms dictating they shouldn't do it alone.
    I find him pretty creepy though..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ListenerFriendly)
    (backpack Italy--it will be the best two weeks of your life... Italian women... need I say more ).

Do it! You'll forever remember your experiences.... you'll wish you had taken more time to do so.
    Or maybe Sweden... or Brazil.

No, but totally agree with your post. One of the refreshing things about travelling is how easy it is to meet like-minded people. On the solo travel front, you generally find the people that are prepared to travel alone always have an interesting story to tell, are generally super sociable and are really on a level with you.

One of the frustrating things I find about being in the UK, is that people often think you have some hidden agenda if you start speaking to them out of the blue - like you want something (money, sex or whatever). The amount of times you just rock up to a hostel and people ask you to join them at their table or vice versa or invite you to tag along... it just doesn't really happen in the UK anymore, at least not amongst people my age and younger. Maybe that's just the kind of environment hostels breed though... i'm sure the same thing happens to people who stay in hostels from abroad in the UK. One of the many reasons I cannot wait to leave again!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatCharlie)
    I find him pretty creepy though..
    Maybe George Clooney then? (Although he is pretty old and I can't really imagine him getting all sweaty on the dance floor. He'd probably hog the bar all night drinking espresso and amarettos. )
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was 19, I travelled on a plane alone to visit my dad in the UAE (he lives there). So although I did spend some time with him, I was also alone a lot, getting taxis, visiting an ad agency, getting lunch, etc. My next step now though, is to really go properly on my own to somewhere far away and just explore :daydreaming:

No, but totally agree with your post. One of the refreshing things about travelling is how easy it is to meet like-minded people. On the solo travel front, you generally find the people that are prepared to travel alone always have an interesting story to tell, are generally super sociable and are really on a level with you.

One of the frustrating things I find about being in the UK, is that people often think you have some hidden agenda if you start speaking to them out of the blue - like you want something (money, sex or whatever). The amount of times you just rock up to a hostel and people ask you to join them at their table or vice versa or invite you to tag along... it just doesn't really happen in the UK anymore, at least not amongst people my age and younger. Maybe that's just the kind of environment hostels breed though... i'm sure the same thing happens to people who stay in hostels from abroad in the UK. One of the many reasons I cannot wait to leave again!
    Do you think people in other countries tend to be friendlier than people in the UK? Sometimes I wonder this, because I think I might have heard that some people think the UK is rather unfriendly, although this could just be generalisations :beard:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Do you think people in other countries tend to be friendlier than people in the UK? Sometimes I wonder this, because I think I might have heard that some people think the UK is rather unfriendly, although this could just be generalisations :beard:
    100% yes. I could cite many examples of things that have happened to me in a few months I spent in Europe but 1 springs to mind. When I was in the centre of Berlin holding a map, probably looking quite lost. Within a few minutes of standing there, a couple of people approached me and asked me if I knew where I was going (in perfect English) and one guy who I got chatting to, took me to the nearest cheap supermarket because I said I was hungry and needed to get some food for the evening and then went 20 minutes out of his way to show me where the hostel was that I was trying to get to. I thanked him and then he said that if needed someone to show me around Berlin either him or his girlfriend could show me around the following day at a particular time. I politely declined but that's just one of many nice things people have done for me whilst abroad.

On the flip side, I've had the feeling on some of my visits to London that the average person there probably wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire. I once gave a Polish guy a tenner that was living rough on the streets of London whilst I waiting for my mate's train to come in, after he asked me very politely (and sincerely) if he could have a cigarette and I could see he looked in a bad way. The guy completely broke down, said that the money meant a lot to him and I was the first person that had actually even looked at him or treated him like a human all day. I suppose homeless people get that sort of reaction from a lot of people in whatever country though.

I dunno, this is all anecdotal evidence and personal opinion but I've found the average person to be far more friendly, welcoming and accommodating in the majority of places I've visited abroad than the UK.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Honestly, Brazilian and Swedish women have to be the most gorgeous (along with Italy!)... too true. I have this thing for Scandinavians. But when I was in Morocco, I met this gorgeous group of Brazilians... wow.

So yes!

I agree... the hostel culture is the best. From an American perspective, I found the UK to be pretty friendly. Although Ireland is maybe the friendliest country in Europe for solo travelers. I lived in Ireland for a while and I really loved the social scene in the pubs. It is pretty similar in the Uk, but a bit different. But I've had some fine experiences in the UK! Wherever you go, if you keep an open mind and are up for new things, you'll meet plenty of awesome people =).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ListenerFriendly)
    Honestly, Brazilian and Swedish women have to be the most gorgeous (along with Italy!)... too true. I have this thing for Scandinavians. But when I was in Morocco, I met this gorgeous group of Brazilians... wow.

So yes!

I agree... the hostel culture is the best. From an American perspective, I found the UK to be pretty friendly. Although Ireland is maybe the friendliest country in Europe for solo travelers. I lived in Ireland for a while and I really loved the social scene in the pubs. It is pretty similar in the Uk, but a bit different. But I've had some fine experiences in the UK! Wherever you go, if you keep an open mind and are up for new things, you'll meet plenty of awesome people =).
    I had a brief thing with this Brazilian girl I met in Berlin and after I finished travelling went back to visit her at the flat she was renting in Barcelona for a week. We went to a Spanish family's Halloween/castanyes (spelling? i know it involved eating a lot of chestnuts) party where nobody there apart from us spoke a word of English! It was amazing to drop into these people's lives for an evening - feeling fully integrated with Spanish culture (bar the language barrier). It was good whilst it lasted but, alas, this girl moved back to Sao Paulo to finish her degree.

But yeah, open mind is best. I think you also have an advantage when you're not in you're native country as you're immediately seen as more interesting than the average person by default. Don't get me wrong, I've met some awesome people in the UK by chance encounters but people in general seem to be a little bit more closed and wary of you here. May be my own perceptions hindering me without me realising it though, I often feel as though I'm not really on the same wavelength as a lot of British people I encounter on a daily basis, which is probably my own downfall!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe George Clooney then? (Although he is pretty old and I can't really imagine him getting all sweaty on the dance floor. He'd probably hog the bar all night drinking espresso and amarettos. )
    Yeah.. Think I'd be more okay with a George Clooney than a Robert Pattinson in all honesty.

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Not to be "that girl" but yeah, I do overall people are much friendlier everywhere else than in the UK. I mostly traveled in the Middle-East and throughout Europe and never in North/South America nor Africa other than Egypt but in general people are much nicer.
    When I was traveling in England the first time i had a huge problem with some people, just asking for directions. I even had people saying that "you're not a tourist" because my English was to good (odd but true).. London was pretty okay, better than expected, but the people that wasn't as good where plainly terrible lol.

(Btw, keep the love for the Swedish girls up, makes me feel better over the fact that I will be spending the next 4 years in the rainy UK after living here in the Middle-East for the past 3 years with all sun and warmth <3)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatCharlie)
    (Btw, keep the love for the Swedish girls up, makes me feel better over the fact that I will be spending the next 4 years in the rainy UK after living here in the Middle-East for the past 3 years with all sun and warmth <3)
    Haha! I love Sweden (been to Stockholm, Malmo, Goteborg, Lund, Uppsala, Ystad, Ostersund, Sunsdvall, Umea and Kiruna - I hope I got the spellings right ) and Swedish girls. One of my favourite things I've done is simply sit on a bench in Stockholm in summer and watch all the girls go by on their bikes in their pretty summer dresses.

Everyone told me people in Sweden were quite reserved before I went. It's not the case! - everyone is really friendly, up for a party, just a shame I can't afford to party in Sweden too much. Also, I am a big Lukas Moodysson fan and film fan in general (I don't know if you know him... I don't know how famous he is in Sweden!) but yeah, he's one of my favourite directors and ABBA are a slight guilty pleasure of mine too ( again) so yeah, I've got a lot of time for Sweden.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2012
New on TSR

Results: how's it going?

Which A-level are you most confident about getting back?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.