The Student Room Group

Students in college: How did you find joining college? Please help :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by musergirl
THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Another question: I'm doing Ancient History, Graphics, English Combined, and Fine Art. Has anyone done any of these? If yes, how did you find/are you finding them? :smile:

We get the choice to do up to 5 a levels, but I think I'd rather keep it at 4 as I want to put lots of effort into each one. I think I'll drop graphics or fine art at AS level, unless I love them both :smile:

I did English combined if you mean English language and literature together as one a level. I found it very usual as you not only study books and literature and the imagery around it, but you also learn the structure of language, which you can then apply to literature. Gives you a greater understanding of English overall. :smile:
Original post by alistair404
I'm about to go to college too! (Well hope to anyway) and would also appreciate someone explaining what it's like there and a bit of general advice :biggrin:

Hi :smile:
I'm in my final year at college but I've attended two different ones. I did my AS year in a sixth form college in Cambridge and then my final year in a sixth form in Nottingham. I've had such different experiences from them both. The first year I was worked to the bone. It was insane and I think that was partially because it was the transition from GCSE to A-Level but also because the workload was just so insane at the time. I'm in my final year now, as I've said, and the work load has either eased or I've just grown accustomed to it.

They expect you to do a lot more independent study, to go and read books from a reading list or look things up yourself. They don't spoon feed you but they do have support systems in place if that is what you need. The level of writing for exams (if you do humanities, especially) is way higher than that of GCSE. For ages, I couldn't work out how you were supposed to get a higher grade but it literally came down to your writing style.

The timetables are good and I bet any money that you'll look at it in September and think "OH MY GOD, SO MUCH FREE TIME! GONNA GO SHOPPING" but in reality you need to use that time wisely to do work so that you have evenings to do last minute things or go out with friends. It is so important to maintain that balance. I didn't in my first year and made myself quite ill with it.

Teachers are also so much more laid back with you, for example, you can call them by their first name. However, if a lesson over-runs don't make a big deal of it. It happens quite often.

P.S. Be organised from the outset otherwise you'll suffocate under a pile of lecture notes and handouts.
Reply 22
just 2 words: WORK HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 23
Thanks so much for the help! I really agree with the bit I quoted. It's made me feel a lot better about going to college! :smile:

It's very true! A lot of my friends at Sixth Form at my old school are doing bad simply because they don't put the work in, whereas some people at college are doing better because they are putting the work in. It's all about effort.

You're welcome! :smile:

I see you're taking some art subjects? Awesome :biggrin: A few of my friends did, they said the work load is insane. Like you probably expect there is a lot of writing and analysing and all that good stuff as well as the practical side. The work load is insanely high, but like I said, if you do your work when you get it, stay on top of it and don't leave anything until last minute and you'll be fine! :smile:
I'm close-ish to going into college. I was just wondering how you found it. Did you make new friends? I was worried because I don't really know anyone who is doing the same subjects as me, so did you make any new friends and did you still have time to spend with old friends? Is it good only focussing on chosen subjects? Do you prefer the timetables at college?

I'd really appreciate any advice or anything :biggrin:

Hello!! I know you have had a lot of replies already so I hope that you don't mind me adding in my little bit :biggrin: (I am just finishing my first year btw)

I love college, I was bullied in school and by going to college you get to meet lots of people who know nothing about you so you have a whole new chance to make a good impression! Don't feel under pressure though, everyone is feeling the same and in my experience everyone was lovley to one another :P

You get a lot more independence and are expected to manage your own time and personally I found it nice to be able to choose to study in my frees rather than being forced to go to lessons. It also means you have some extra breaks during the day when you don't have so much work just to chill with other friends who have the period off too :smile: SO yeah I prefer the timetable at college a whole lot! (even though our lessons are an hour and a half each)

You definitley make a lot of new friends at college in your classes and most people at my college are still friends with their friends from school too! Most of my friends are not in my classes so I see them at break and lunch and stuffs, sometimes accompanied by other friends people have made too. haha its funny actually I have so many people that I know/am friends with because my friends because friends with them and brought them over xD

Don't be fooled into thinking less subjects is less work- A levels are way harder than GCSEs! I study English Language, History, Music and Graphic Design and I am always sososo busy! I get really stressed sometimes but it is definitley worth it, I love college and don't want to leave! Friends who have gone to my schools sixth form are actually doing pretty crap now, and it sounds so boring to stay in the same place you have been for 5 years with the same people, unless you are one of the people that needs someone to pester you to do your work xD (no offense to anyone who is!!)

I was petrified about going to college, so I'm not going to tell you to not be. What I am going to tell you though is to enjoy it! Most people only spend about 2 years there so we don't have very long at all and its a great experience :P I am going to start my second year savouring the ups and downs before I !(hopefully) start uni in sept 2013! Good luck bubs and message me if you have any more questions or anything :h:
Reply 25
Original post by Amwazicles
Oh good I'm glad I made you feel better about the media thing. :smile:

Also, my brother took Graphics and Art & Design at A-level, and there wasn't too much overlap, so I imagine there'd be even less overlap with Fine Art. I guess you'll do more digital stuff in Graphics, which will be a good contract too. :smile:

No problem! Haha, same here :wink:

My college doesn't do Art & Design at A-Level, just 'Design Engineering', which doesn't sound as good. I've got an A in GCSE Design technology though. <--- not sure why this is relevant, but hey-ho, at least it shows I've actually studied DESIGN at some point! I'm exited for the more digital stuff (The College has Apple Macs!!) like typography, it all seems really interesting!

Thank you again :h:
Reply 26
Original post by Ginger Julia
Hello!! I know you have had a lot of replies already so I hope that you don't mind me adding in my little bit :biggrin: (I am just finishing my first year btw)

Of course I don't mind! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me :biggrin:

I'm quite exited to meet new people, but still a little scared!

I'm looking forward to the breaks, even though I'm sure that, as I'm doing two art subjects, my free time will be taken up a lot by them.

I'm doing quite similar subjects to you, Combined English, Ancient History, Fine Art and Graphic design! I'm already sure that I am willing to take on the extra work - that's why I'm not doing 5 - so all my effort can go into those 4 (the arts having a very heavy workload) :smile:

Thanks for your advice :biggrin:

Also, seeing as you've done Graphic Design, how is it? I'm really interested and keen to be doing it but I'm still not sure what it's actually like. :smile: One last question, are you dropping any of those at As or are you continuing all 4 into A2?

THANK YOU :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Of course I don't mind! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me :biggrin:

I'm quite exited to meet new people, but still a little scared!

I'm looking forward to the breaks, even though I'm sure that, as I'm doing two art subjects, my free time will be taken up a lot by them.

I'm doing quite similar subjects to you, Combined English, Ancient History, Fine Art and Graphic design! I'm already sure that I am willing to take on the extra work - that's why I'm not doing 5 - so all my effort can go into those 4 (the arts having a very heavy workload) :smile:

Thanks for your advice :biggrin:

Also, seeing as you've done Graphic Design, how is it? I'm really interested and keen to be doing it but I'm still not sure what it's actually like. :smile: One last question, are you dropping any of those at As or are you continuing all 4 into A2?

THANK YOU :h:

I love graphic design! In fact I now want to study it in University :P My college is pretty good for the arts and lots of the stuff we do is hand rendered and we simply use computers as another art medium :smile:

Weeeell they recommend to us that we drop one for A2 but insist we take up something else as it is compulsory to study 4 subjects. I'm doing terrible in music (big regret) so I am dropping that but very excited to be starting AS level sculpture and my evening classes in Life Drawing next year :biggrin: Actually most people I know are dropping one subject and picking up either an extended project or an AS subject for next year :P

Haha oh one main difference between our choices is that your doing ancient history and I do modern :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by Ginger Julia
I love graphic design! In fact I now want to study it in University :P My college is pretty good for the arts and lots of the stuff we do is hand rendered and we simply use computers as another art medium :smile:

Weeeell they recommend to us that we drop one for A2 but insist we take up something else as it is compulsory to study 4 subjects. I'm doing terrible in music (big regret) so I am dropping that but very excited to be starting AS level sculpture and my evening classes in Life Drawing next year :biggrin: Actually most people I know are dropping one subject and picking up either an extended project or an AS subject for next year :P

Haha oh one main difference between our choices is that your doing ancient history and I do modern :wink:

Thanks again!

It would be nice to get 3 up to A2 level and 2 AS levels!

Oh yeah, pretty big difference :wink:
Reply 29
Original post by lsaul95
It's very true! A lot of my friends at Sixth Form at my old school are doing bad simply because they don't put the work in, whereas some people at college are doing better because they are putting the work in. It's all about effort.

You're welcome! :smile:

I see you're taking some art subjects? Awesome :biggrin: A few of my friends did, they said the work load is insane. Like you probably expect there is a lot of writing and analysing and all that good stuff as well as the practical side. The work load is insanely high, but like I said, if you do your work when you get it, stay on top of it and don't leave anything until last minute and you'll be fine! :smile:

I am willing to work insanely :biggrin: I will try to keep on top of it all! :biggrin: Thanks again.
Reply 30
Original post by thisisarcadia
Hi :smile:
I'm in my final year at college but I've attended two different ones. I did my AS year in a sixth form college in Cambridge and then my final year in a sixth form in Nottingham. I've had such different experiences from them both. The first year I was worked to the bone. It was insane and I think that was partially because it was the transition from GCSE to A-Level but also because the workload was just so insane at the time. I'm in my final year now, as I've said, and the work load has either eased or I've just grown accustomed to it.

They expect you to do a lot more independent study, to go and read books from a reading list or look things up yourself. They don't spoon feed you but they do have support systems in place if that is what you need. The level of writing for exams (if you do humanities, especially) is way higher than that of GCSE. For ages, I couldn't work out how you were supposed to get a higher grade but it literally came down to your writing style.

The timetables are good and I bet any money that you'll look at it in September and think "OH MY GOD, SO MUCH FREE TIME! GONNA GO SHOPPING" but in reality you need to use that time wisely to do work so that you have evenings to do last minute things or go out with friends. It is so important to maintain that balance. I didn't in my first year and made myself quite ill with it.

Teachers are also so much more laid back with you, for example, you can call them by their first name. However, if a lesson over-runs don't make a big deal of it. It happens quite often.

P.S. Be organised from the outset otherwise you'll suffocate under a pile of lecture notes and handouts.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm borderline OCD-ish about organising things, so I don't think that'll be a problem :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest