The Student Room Group

Are They Any Mature Students Here? Students Over 28?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ashtoreth
ahhh i see. a weegie thru n thru, eh:biggrin:

s'funny but i looked at the west end and as nice as it appears omg at the rents!:eek:

as u are born n raised. what u reckon to pollokshields? too late if u say it's a hell hole mind, but i gotta ask lol

Pollokshields isn't bad, worst thing about the place is lack of direct transport links to uni. How will you be getting in everyday?
Original post by spiritedsummer
In the playground was where you spent most of your days?

Sorry couldnt resist. Although I live in Surrey, I'm actually from just outside Glasgow. Balloch anyone?

Have you been back to Balloch recently? I was pretty amazed when I saw this place Lomond_Shores_-_geograph.org.uk_-_11189.jpg
Yeah I go home as much as I can really. That's the sealift centre at loch lomond shores. They've done a lot of work around there and it's really good :-)
Reply 143
47. finishing up an msc in ecology/conservation after nearly 20 years as a lawyer
Reply 144
Original post by BO'H
47. finishing up an msc in ecology/conservation after nearly 20 years as a lawyer

Good on you. Full time, part time or distance learning?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 145
full time. saved hard for a few years and now aiming at a complete career change.
Original post by stabilo_boss
Pollokshields isn't bad, worst thing about the place is lack of direct transport links to uni. How will you be getting in everyday?

oh dear.

with difficulty, apparently.

i was led to believe transport links are good.
I'll be 27 in Dec, I'm heading to London southbank really nervous staying in halls don't know if its such a good idea tho.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Original post by ashtoreth
oh dear.

with difficulty, apparently.

i was led to believe transport links are good.

Well, they still may be. The problem with living in the west end is it ruins living anywhere else in Glasgow. Those rents are high for a reason.

As long as you can get to a tube station, I think Cessnock or Shields Road will be your nearest, you'll have absolutely no problems getting to the uni.
Original post by stabilo_boss
Well, they still may be. The problem with living in the west end is it ruins living anywhere else in Glasgow. Those rents are high for a reason.

As long as you can get to a tube station, I think Cessnock or Shields Road will be your nearest, you'll have absolutely no problems getting to the uni.

hmmmm, well, used googlemap and it seems as tho pollokshields east is my nearest st.
is that overground or underground? will need to find out. i didn't know u had tubes up there.

trouble is i'm doing all this blind, and from a long way away. yes i should have come up n looked around but i didn't get chance. the only requirement that i had was that i rent somewhere with a garden and anything that i looked at in the west end, seemed garden-less. probably my timing stank.

also, i was warned to stay away from the west end due to it being student central. and whilst i'm gonna be a student, i don't know that i identify with it as such, due to my advanced years :smile: but reality is, i am gonna be a student and anyone i get to know, will likely be a student too.
you local guys are different cos u already have your networks but, i'm gonna need to start from scratch so on balance and in retrospect, i should have headed to the west end from the get go.
what i'd have saved in time and travel, could have been absorbed by the rent.

ah well, least once i'm up there i will better know whether i wanna move closer in, or not.

ps. what's access to centre of glasgow like from coatbridge/condorrat and what's the area like pls?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 150
What a huge group of us, power to us Mature Students!

Anybody doing Animal Managment or going to Hadlow or the Royal Veterinary College at Potters Bar?
Reply 151
Are They Any Mature Students Here? Students Over 28? [INDENT]If so, what are you studying?

Yes, actually. I'm 26 - will be 27 in September - and have just finished my A-levels. A conditional place at Bristol University is beckoning me to study Mathematics with Statistics for four years; that is, of course, pending results.

Has anyone else in their 20s, or older, recently finished a batch of A-levels? If so, what were your experiences like as a 'mature' student? I use the term 'mature' somewhat loosely because, although I'm older than most A-level students, I'm unsure of my actual maturity :biggrin:[/INDENT]
Reply 152
I'm 33 and just about to start my second year of a Animal Management extended diploma. I hope to go on to the RVC after. Not much chance of that though I expect.:rolleyes:
Hi

I'm 37, I've just done a 2 year BTEC in 3D Design. In September I shall be starting a degree in Architecture :-) its been a life long ambition.

Hard work ahead but I'm well prepared and excited.

Take care and good luck everyone :-)

Paula

Original post by BO'H
full time. saved hard for a few years and now aiming at a complete career change.

As a 47 yr old first year full time student I must say you are an inspiration to me to keep going. Its been a challenging experience as I came straight from full time work to full time study but its worth it.

Good luck with the new career :smile:
Original post by mrspriesty
Hi

I'm 37, I've just done a 2 year BTEC in 3D Design. In September I shall be starting a degree in Architecture :-) its been a life long ambition.

Hard work ahead but I'm well prepared and excited.

Take care and good luck everyone :-)

Paula

Good luck :smile:
Thank you :-) good luck to you too!!

I'm 27 and starting a Law degree at University of Leeds next month (eek!). All of a sudden seems to have come around really quickly though I'm still wrangling with student finance :s-smilie:. Not seen any other 'mature' students heading to Leeds on here and on my departmental open day was literally the only one over 20 and not with my parents. Reality of being odd one out starting to set in. Anyone else feel like this?
Reply 158
Original post by *whatkatiedidnext*
I'm 27 and starting a Law degree at University of Leeds next month (eek!). All of a sudden seems to have come around really quickly though I'm still wrangling with student finance :s-smilie:. Not seen any other 'mature' students heading to Leeds on here and on my departmental open day was literally the only one over 20 and not with my parents. Reality of being odd one out starting to set in. Anyone else feel like this?

Yes, definitely. At the end of my AS year, aged 25, I decided to visit my first two universities and, although my college peers were used to me, I felt like a fish out of water amongst 16-to-20-year-olds. The experiences were very positive, though, and I guess you could say that I'm used to being a fish out of water now; in fact life as a land fish suits me well now!

How is the preparatory side going for you? :smile:
Heya! So glad I found this thread. I'm 28, starting the 5 year veterinary science degree at Bristol uni in October...
took, a while, butfinally I am going to be training to be a vet!

xx

Quick Reply

Latest