Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Am I the only one who sucks at Psychometric Tests?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I've been filling out several job applications and usually get through the first stage, but then it's the dreaded psychometric tests.

Does anyone else struggle with these? For me, it's not necessarily the question is hard but moreso the time pressure. I understand why they do it, but sometimes I fail to answer all the questions and therefore don't progress through.

Anyone got any tips? I feel like the 'Spatial' tests are the worst!

Grrr, it feels like i'm never going to get a decent job at this rate.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdCase)
    Hey,

So I've been filling out several job applications and usually get through the first stage, but then it's the dreaded psychometric tests.

Does anyone else struggle with these? For me, it's not necessarily the question is hard but moreso the time pressure. I understand why they do it, but sometimes I fail to answer all the questions and therefore don't progress through.

Best bet is to get your hands on some SHL tests and practice. Tends to be very similar questions but with different numbers. If you find someone who's good at them to help you and show you how they work them out quickly that'll probably help.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who passes them tests anyway? I only hear of people failing them and no one passing.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bey Taco)
    Who passes them tests anyway? I only hear of people failing them and no one passing.
    Well people generally don't have cause to make threads about passing them!

Psychometric tests tend to be based on percentile scores I believe. Therefore a company may choose to take through only the 80th percentile to the next stage for example, meaning 1 in 5 would pass. In this scenario your actual score doesn't matter on its own (it could be 50%, it could be 95%), it is your score relevant to your peers that matters.

They aren't that bad, just get some practice if you're struggling.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdCase)
    Hey,

I've done several of these and my tip is to practice, practice, practice!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Is that the answer you wanted?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Yes.

Is that the answer you wanted?
    I doubt it's the answer he wanted, but as previously mentioned this isn't the case.

Practically every employer uses aptitude tests to thin out applications before the interview stage. I'm confident that there are more people not getting through the online testing stage of applications then there are people getting through. Otherwise, what's the point?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I doubt it's the answer he wanted, but as previously mentioned this isn't the case.

Practically every employer uses aptitude tests to thin out applications before the interview stage. I'm confident that there are more people not getting through the online testing stage of applications then there are people getting through. Otherwise, what's the point?
    I was being facetious. The OP knew the answer before he asked the question.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I was being facetious. The OP knew the answer before he asked the question.
    Ah facetious, my apologies

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.