The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

What's it like to be gay at stirling university?

Firstly I would like to say that I'm not camp in any way, in fact I'm just an ordinary bloke (Who plays rugby, takes part in judo and amateur boxing etc, so I'm 'Manly' as some may perceive me to be, stupid as it is....).

So yeah, no stereotypes here. I know I wont annoy anyone about the being camp thing, in fact I just wanna be casual about the whole sexuality thing and, like now, not let it define me.

Sooooo.................

I'm just wondering what it would be like to be gay at Stirling uni, examples of people you know experiences there; and first-hand experience would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance on your responses! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My pal is in third year and he is bi and has never said about any bad experiences. I know a number of people who have become gay since going to university so I assume it will be no different from any one else's experience- its the 21st century!
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
yeah, I figured that people would be a more open minded than most people Im used to dealing with. Its just that I was worrying if there would be any kind of snobbish homophobia rather religious or ideologically originated homophobia.

I'm hoping that should I go there, there is not any awkward situations regarding homophobia ....

I have a feeling that I didn't phrase any of what I've just typed that well (its getting late dammit!), but I hope people get the point :P

Thanks for the response too!

Also I have a query as to what the LBGT society was like, as I have heard that some (but not all) can be a bit cliquey and pretentious at times
Original post by sawyerfred
yeah, I figured that people would be a more open minded than most people Im used to dealing with. Its just that I was worrying if there would be any kind of snobbish homophobia rather religious or ideologically originated homophobia.

I'm hoping that should I go there, there is not any awkward situations regarding homophobia ....

I have a feeling that I didn't phrase any of what I've just typed that well (its getting late dammit!), but I hope people get the point :P

Thanks for the response too!

Also I have a query as to what the LBGT society was like, as I have heard that some (but not all) can be a bit cliquey and pretentious at times

Just saw this! I'm a gay guy in my first year at uni in Stirling. I've had absolutely no homophobia, at least directed towards me. The absolute worst thing you can do before coming here is pre-judge though. I have two Northern Irish flatmates and automatically assumed they'd be homophobic. They're both utterly fine with it. In fact, one of them is utterly overjoyed at the news.

You said you're not camp, which should help you too. I'm not either so I can't comment on how camp students experience life here but a girl in the flat next to me is a pretty butch Lesbian and she's one of the most popular people I know!

The only possible "homophobia" you might see is the casual use of the word "gay" to describe negative aspects of a certain thing. But then, that all depends on whether you consider it offensive or not. I don't.

No idea about the LGBT Society. I was too afraid to join as I wasn't keen on the idea of my sexuality being my defining characteristic. But I have heard they're very large and they often have campaigns/posters/events etc.

It's pretty much like most universities in the UK: Liberal, accepting and friendly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks! Thats cleared up my concerns over this! It's very much appreciated, Stirling seems like a great place and it looks like I can be myself with no issues! (should I get in, fingers crossed) :biggrin:

I just tended to worry if the idea of all Universities are super liberal with accepting people was a idealised, romanticised image..

lol, in other words I was just scared of being dissapointed XD

thanks again! :smile:
Reply 5
I'm starting first year in September, although I have just finished a part-time access course there and haven't encountered any problems. I haven't mentioned it to too many people because, like you said, there's more to me and I don't want it to be the 'defining characteristic'. (I'm also not stereotypically 'butch' so I guess that helps!) There's so much more to me and the fact that I like girls is just a tiny part of who I am, so I don't brag about it, but I don't really hide it if it comes up. We're all starting out afresh up here, not knowing anyone. And it would be sad if we all made up our mind about people based on one tiny fact! I'm moving into halls so feel free to come up for a coffee and a chat if you like!

Alex
Reply 6
I'm starting at stirling in september to study social work, it sounds like a great university to be gay, will so be joining the lgbt society there.

Also I get it stereotypes are rife in gay and lesbianism! I'm a lipstick lesbian and no one ever knows I'm gay, they seem super shocked by it!
Heard Stirling has an excellent LGBT Society :smile: Stirling is my first choice for Sept 2013, and a uni with a strong LGBT society is quite important to me. Could anyone tell me if the society in Stirling is as good as ive heard? :smile:
Reply 8
I have been at Stirling for a year and a half now (access course last year, now halfway through semester 1) and from what I have heard the LGBT society is fantastic.

I am not a member due to other commitments, but I spoke to a few members and the president, Jade, at their stall during freshers and everyone seemed lovely. They send weekly emails (I originally signed up before my plans changed) and there are always socials organised on a Tuesday. I think they seem welcoming and friendly no matter how confident you are in yourself. They are often found at stalls in the atrium promoting gay/transgender rights.

In general, I have not found my sexuality to be an issue at all on campus, even when my girlfriend comes to stay :smile: x
Reply 9
Hi, I'm a Stirling graduate [2011], and I've never heard of any homophobic incidents in Stirling; my experience was that there is a vibrant gay scene [not being gay myself!] The Barton Bistro [bottom of Friar's Street] is a well-known gay hang-out.
Reply 10
hey you will be fine I have alot of gay and bi and lesbiena friends at stirling, and most know I crossdress and am thinking about becoming full time trans once I finish due to family stuff :smile: but I have had no issues with any one at stirling and friends are all very acepting :smile:xxx
Original post by HarveyCanis
Just saw this! I'm a gay guy in my first year at uni in Stirling. I've had absolutely no homophobia, at least directed towards me. The absolute worst thing you can do before coming here is pre-judge though. I have two Northern Irish flatmates and automatically assumed they'd be homophobic. They're both utterly fine with it. In fact, one of them is utterly overjoyed at the news.

You said you're not camp, which should help you too. I'm not either so I can't comment on how camp students experience life here but a girl in the flat next to me is a pretty butch Lesbian and she's one of the most popular people I know!

The only possible "homophobia" you might see is the casual use of the word "gay" to describe negative aspects of a certain thing. But then, that all depends on whether you consider it offensive or not. I don't.

No idea about the LGBT Society. I was too afraid to join as I wasn't keen on the idea of my sexuality being my defining characteristic. But I have heard they're very large and they often have campaigns/posters/events etc.

It's pretty much like most universities in the UK: Liberal, accepting and friendly.

What makes you think us Northern Irish people are homophobic? Surely your being stereotypical yourself, we aren't that bad!
Original post by Aaron9890
What makes you think us Northern Irish people are homophobic? Surely your being stereotypical yourself, we aren't that bad!

Indeed I was, hence why I clarified in the next sentence that it was wrong for me to do that. Anyway, Northern Ireland has that reputation for a reason, I mean Abortion is still illegal!
Indeed I was, hence why I clarified in the next sentence that it was wrong for me to do that. Anyway, Northern Ireland has that reputation for a reason, I mean Abortion is still illegal!

Let's not get into an abortion argument, it's allowed if there are medical concerns and serious consequences (such as rape). Not for women who want to get rid of baby because it was a 'mistake' which I think is right. Your very stereotypical, how can you give a reputation of people in a country based on the governments laws for abortion??
Let's not get into an abortion argument, it's allowed if there are medical concerns and serious consequences (such as rape). Not for women who want to get rid of baby because it was a 'mistake' which I think is right. Your very stereotypical, how can you give a reputation of people in a country based on the governments laws for abortion??

I used it because it's indicative of a country's level of liberalism. A government's laws reflect its people, hence why Scandinavia has very liberal laws and very liberal people whilst Malaysia is the opposite. Not to mention the fact all loyalist parties in Northern Ireland are very socially conservative and openly homophobic whilst republicans are overwhelmingly liberal. Plus, this is not even to mention the fact Northern Irish citizens have the highest disapproval of homosexuality amongst UK states.

So, like I said, I apologise for assuming they would be homophobic but you can hardly claim I'm just being stereotypical. I base my observations on facts, and I was pleasantly surprised the girls in question were fine with it.
I used it because it's indicative of a country's level of liberalism. A government's laws reflect its people, hence why Scandinavia has very liberal laws and very liberal people whilst Malaysia is the opposite. Not to mention the fact all loyalist parties in Northern Ireland are very socially conservative and openly homophobic whilst republicans are overwhelmingly liberal. Plus, this is not even to mention the fact Northern Irish citizens have the highest disapproval of homosexuality amongst UK states.

So, like I said, I apologise for assuming they would be homophobic but you can hardly claim I'm just being stereotypical. I base my observations on facts, and I was pleasantly surprised the girls in question were fine with it.

You don't have a clue, I am loyalist and in no way homophobic, your facts seem to be largely inaccurate.
You don't have a clue, I am loyalist and in no way homophobic, your facts seem to be largely inaccurate.

Lol what? What did I say that was inaccurate? Name me any pro-gay loyalist parties. Really, go ahead.
Lol what? What did I say that was inaccurate? Name me any pro-gay loyalist parties. Really, go ahead.

Parties, yes but not the people of northern ireland. Didn't realise you stated it was parties. Still doesn't mean that the whole country has a reputation because of certain parties. I don't even know if all loyalist parties are anti gay anyway, i am just going by what you say.
(edited 11 years ago)
Parties, yes but not the people of northern ireland. Didn't realise you stated it was parties. Still doesn't mean that the whole country has a reputation because of certain parties. I don't even know if all loyalist parties are anti gay anyway, i am just going by what you say.

Regardless, it wasn't my intention to separate this into a republican/loyalist debate. Just to point out that if these parties (DUP, UUP) were unpopular because of their viciously homophobic views and policies (Google Peter Robinson) they wouldn't get any votes. But it's the opposite. In fact the DUP are stealing votes from the UUP and the DUP are far more socially conservative than the UUP, which is what sets them apart most. So it's a fair conclusion that a large number of loyalists are indeed anti-gay too. I'm not saying all of them of course, and especially amongst young people it's certainly not the case with majorities of young NIers in favour of gay marriage.

Would you say I was being incorrectly stereotypical if I expected someone from Boston, Massachusetts to be very pro-homosexuality? Out of curiosity.
Original post by sawyerfred
Firstly I would like to say that I'm not camp in any way, in fact I'm just an ordinary bloke (Who plays rugby, takes part in judo and amateur boxing etc, so I'm 'Manly' as some may perceive me to be, stupid as it is....).

So yeah, no stereotypes here. I know I wont annoy anyone about the being camp thing, in fact I just wanna be casual about the whole sexuality thing and, like now, not let it define me.

Sooooo.................

I'm just wondering what it would be like to be gay at Stirling uni, examples of people you know experiences there; and first-hand experience would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance on your responses! :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking the same thing. I'm not camp, but I'm not overly manly - like I'm not really interested by sports.

Wonder what fitting in is going to be like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending