The Student Room Group

No science A levels - less options in future?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CallmeJoss
I want to do law at Cambridge too, and let me tell you OP, english lit is brilliant. You learn to analyse critically to a point where you can do it with anything that is thrown at you. It's a good subject for law and is looked highly upon by universities. However I can't deny what one of the other posters commented on about it being subjective. You're not really secured a grade in every exam just because of its non-factual nature. You can't learn from mark schemes nor predict what sort of questions they will give you. In that sense, economics is a safer option to take.

Is philosophy subjective like english lit?
Reply 21
If you think that at some point you might like to go into Natural Sciences, Medicine etc., it would be a good idea to take Chemistry now.

You can then either pick up AS Biology in year 13 if need be or drop Chemistry after AS depending on how your plans for the future evolve. But yes, it would keep your options a little bit more open for now (with respect to the above subjects - if you are not interested in them at all, then there is little point).
Reply 22
Original post by Lawabiding
Is philosophy subjective like english lit?

All arts subjects are subjective really, but subjective marking is something you'll have to get used to if you intend on law.

Having done law I think history's been most useful in terms of teaching me how to write essays which critically and thematically analyse material so definitely keep that.

Lit does similar things, not quite to the same extent but it reinforces it. It does help you to develop a fluent writing style though which is useful in any essay subject. After all, everyone likes reading a well written essay. It'll likely teach you the difference between less and fewer too :wink:

Also, I've noticed everyone seems to want Cam law these days not Ox for some reason...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Haha! Really? Are you doing GCSEs at the moment? Or AS'? :tongue: What do you intend to do/study in the future?

I've got my AS exams in a few days... :afraid:

Planning study History and Politics at university. If I don't fail miserably of course...
Reply 24
Original post by roh
All arts subjects are subjective really, but subjective marking is something you'll have to get used to if you intend on law.

Having done law I think history's been most useful in terms of teaching me how to write essays which critically and thematically analyse material so definitely keep that.

Lit does similar things, not quite to the same extent but it reinforces it. It does help you to develop a fluent writing style though which is useful in any essay subject. After all, everyone likes reading a well written essay. It'll likely teach you the difference between less and fewer too :wink:

Also, I've noticed everyone seems to want Cam law these days not Ox for some reason...

What A levels did you do if you don't mind me asking? And thanks for the insight!

I prefer Cambridge over Oxford due of the structure of the course. That might be one of the reasons why people want to do Cambridge law and not Oxford law?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by najinaji
I've got my AS exams in a few days... :afraid:

Planning study History and Politics at university. If I don't fail miserably of course...

Had a look at any unis yet? Good luck mate.
Reply 26
What A levels did you do if you don't mind me asking? And thanks for the insight!

I prefer Cambridge over Oxford is due of the structure of the course. That might be one of the reasons why people want to do Cambridge law and not Oxford law?

I did Mod History, French, Spanish and AS Lit. General Studies too.

Cam's is much more like 'normal' courses so fair enough; suppose Ox might have to revamp theirs if it keeps causing problems, though if you like legal philosophy it's brilliant.
Reply 27
Original post by roh
I did Mod History, French, Spanish and AS Lit. General Studies too.

Cam's is much more like 'normal' courses so fair enough; suppose Ox might have to revamp theirs if it keeps causing problems, though if you like legal philosophy it's brilliant.

I take it you do/have done law at Oxford? :biggrin:
Reply 28
Had a look at any unis yet? Good luck mate.

Yep. St Andrews and Edinburgh are my top choices at the moment. And thank you. :tongue: Good luck for Cambridge.
Reply 29
I take it you do/have done law at Oxford? :biggrin:

No, didn't apply for that reason but I know people who do and say there's quite a bit of emphasis on that. Though if you like philosophy may be worth going along on the Open Day, though the exams are structured weirdly too.

Cam don't do my course so saved myself the stress of applying and very probably rejection!
The only less than perfect one is politics

if you're not planning on a science or engineering degree you will be fine for most other subjects :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by najinaji
Yep. St Andrews and Edinburgh are my top choices at the moment. And thank you. :tongue: Good luck for Cambridge.

Take it you like Scottish :tongue: and thank you.
Reply 32
Original post by roh
No, didn't apply for that reason but I know people who do and say there's quite a bit of emphasis on that. Though if you like philosophy may be worth going along on the Open Day, though the exams are structured weirdly too.

Cam don't do my course so saved myself the stress of applying and very probably rejection!

Yup most of their exams are at the end. Aha, what course do you do?
Reply 33
Original post by kingkongjaffa
The only less than perfect one is politics

if you're not planning on a science or engineering degree you will be fine for most other subjects :smile:

Maths, chemistry, history and economics. How does that sound? :biggrin:

Don't change it because someone on the internet said so.

Do your own research think
1) what do i want to study/what job do I want and therefore what degree do I need.

2) think where you would realistically like to study and do not presume you will get A*A*A*

3) base your subject on your strengths, then by how much you like the subject, then by career prospects, and finally by university requirements for said career degree.

The best advice I can give is that if you are looking to do anything with maths then doing further maths is a smart move.
Reply 35
Yup most of their exams are at the end. Aha, what course do you do?

Law with French.

Also, advice above is very good. If you try to keep all options open then I'm afraid you'll end up with 15 or 16 A Levels. It may be a flaw of the English system but you can't change that and just try and do what you enjoy within those constraints.

Sometimes when you get to A Level you find you just prefer certain subjects which you didn't at GCSE, because it's different. I knew someone who did Maths, FM, Physics and History for AS. He got AAAB with the B in History but found he really enjoyed studying history and so went off to do history at uni without any regrets.

economics unit 5 is extremley boring, i cannot begin to say how so,DONT DO IT
history picks up at A2 and coursework aspect makes it fun

id suggest
Maths
Physics-experiments can be boring but theory is very interesting, like learning about circuits and stress/strain etc
Biology-u get to learn that getting drunk is cure for antifreeze posining, + how humans respire and the action of the heart kidney etc+ u also get to learn how
GM crops are made, its the most interesting a level in my opinion
History

Quick Reply

Latest