Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

C1 differentiation

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Morning everyone,

I've got a question and my answer has revealed that I've got the wrong idea.

'Determine the two pints on the curve with equation y=(x^2+3)(x-5) where the gradient is equal to -5.

So this is what I did. I simplified the equation, differentiated it, then carried -5 over to the other side so I had a quadratic. I could factorise it so I put it through the quadratic equation. This must have been the wrong thing to do though as the answer is wrong
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    What answers did you get
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    what was the correct answer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    What answers did you get

I got  \frac{5 \pm \sqrt{31}}{3} for x. The correct answers for x were 2 or 1&(1/3)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavinlee)
    Morning everyone,

I've got a question and my answer has revealed that I've got the wrong idea.

'Determine the two pints on the curve with equation y=(x^2+3)(x-5) where the gradient is equal to -5.

So this is what I did. I simplified the equation, differentiated it, then carried -5 over to the other side so I had a quadratic. I could factorise it so I put it through the quadratic equation. This must have been the wrong thing to do though as the answer is wrong
    Is this right?

y=(x^2+3)(x-5) = y=x^3-5x^2+3x-15
    \frac{dy}{dx}= 3x^2-10x+3
    when \frac{dy}{dx} = -5 then 3x^2-10x+8=0
    which equals (3x-4)(x-2) so x=\frac{4}{3} or 2
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    What was your quadratic ... the book answers are correct

Then again ... do not worry ... Rachel has taken away your chance to learn by posting the full answer
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel0593)
    Is this right?
    There is a good reason that the forum frowns on full solutions

Gavin needed to learn where he was going wrong on this question ... he needed to unpick his misconceptions
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is a good reason that the forum frowns on full solutions

Gavin needed to learn where he was going wrong on this question ... he needed to unpick his misconceptions
    Since when does that work?, learn all the marks schemes and apply your knowledge is the best way to get the top marks.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Dom)
    Since when does that work?, learn all the marks schemes and apply your knowledge is the best way to get the top marks.
    My mistake

Clearly looking at other people's answers/the mark scheme is the way to succeed in maths exams

How stupid am I

Where on earth did I get my foolish view that understanding the material and the question was the way forward
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I tried it again and got the right answers
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I tried it again and got the right answers
    ok
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I though that by showing how I got to the answer he would see where he went wrong and could apply it to another question.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mistake

Clearly looking at other people's answers/the mark scheme is the way to succeed in maths exams

How stupid am I

Where on earth did I get my foolish view that understanding the material and the question was the way forward
    Just talking out of experience. He might learn that way too.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel0593)
    Sorry I though that by showing how I got to the answer he would see where he went wrong and could apply it to another question.
    In that case ... sorry I snarled at you
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    Durrrrrrr

Again ... my stupidity ... of course with your vast experience you know what the best way for people to learn is
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got  \frac{5 \pm \sqrt{31}}{3} for x. The correct answers for x were 2 or 1&(1/3)
    no no no i think you havent put the correct sign for -5
    thats the only way you get your answer
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are top marks in your opinion?

I hardly do 1-2 past paper, i just have a quick view of the mark scheme of those papers, so does this means that i can never get top marks?

You look to be very experienced, can you give more advice on preparing maths?

If someone follows your advice for A-Level maths, and then if he has to give STEP/AEA, than what shall he do to prepare?
    Learn all the STEP/AEA mark schemes?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Durrrrrrr

Again ... my stupidity ... of course with your vast experience you know what the best way for people to learn is
    :lol:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.