Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wheel wrench?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone know if the following wheel wrench is universal that can fit all wheel nuts? Cheers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-19152.../dp/B0001K9QGI
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should be, should fit any 1/2" drive sockets. I bought the Halfords branded one with 26mm head to fit my wheel nuts.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Get that bottle Jack that's listed under it too while you're at it - a million times easier, more effective, and safer than the horrendous scissor jacks you almost always get with modern cars.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Get that bottle Jack that's listed under it too while you're at it - a million times easier, more effective, and safer than the horrendous scissor jacks you almost always get with modern cars.
    I once had the RAC out after a bottle jack slipped and the car ended up on its brakes! Moral of the story? also carry chocks and a hefy lump of wood or two
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    I once had the RAC out after a bottle jack slipped and the car ended up on its brakes! Moral of the story? also carry chocks and a hefy lump of wood or two
    Handbrake should be on and the car in gear anyway Also, the jack should have been in a place it couldn't have slipped from. Most decent bottle jacks have teeth cut into the lifting pad so you can secure it under the sill (or my preferred place) under the suspension wishbone/axle. If you get it right you only have to jack the car up 2-3cm to get the tyre off the ground without extending the suspension.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Land rover handbrake and gears! Hello!! Lol. I carry axle stands too
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to carry wheel blocks and axle stands for the Land Rover but I simply don't bother with the Golf. I think the wheel blocks are in the roof box actually, but the axle stands are 5 tonne rated I think so they're heavy mofos and live in the garage at home.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should be fine for most cars but personally I'd have a breaker bar and socket. The breaker bar will be stronger and most are 2ft at that size, so a bit longer anyway. Also without that bend in the end it's probably easier to store, despite being longer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salu.)
    Hi, anyone know if the following wheel wrench is universal that can fit all wheel nuts? Cheers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-19152.../dp/B0001K9QGI
    You're basically buying a breaker bar with a couple of sockets.
    The sockets might fit they might not. Even if they don't, one the correct size will only be a couple of quid.

(Original post by Nuffles)
    Bottle jacks are crap. Just like a scissor jack they cannot move under the car as it pivots over.
    The ONLY jack to use is a trolley jack. Although, I apreciate that noone is going to carry a trolley jack around.
    I've got a side mounted jack for my car. It slides into a tube welded under the sill so no chance of slippage.

(Original post by Landie_Man)
    Land rover handbrake and gears! Hello!! Lol. I carry axle stands too

LR series has a transbrake rather than a handbrake in the traditional sense of the word.
    Once applied it shouldn't be going ANYWHERE. When you come to service it, you'll discover it's basically a little drum brake on the rear prop.

-JC.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Bottle jacks are crap. Just like a scissor jack they cannot move under the car as it pivots over.
    The ONLY jack to use is a trolley jack. Although, I apreciate that noone is going to carry a trolley jack around.
    I've got a side mounted jack for my car. It slides into a tube welded under the sill so no chance of slippage.

LR series has a transbrake rather than a handbrake in the traditional sense of the word.
    Once applied it shouldn't be going ANYWHERE. When you come to service it, you'll discover it's basically a little drum brake on the rear prop.

-JC.
    While a bottle jack is inferior to a trolley jack, it is vastly better than a scissor jack. I've had too many close calls with scissor jacks to ever trust them again - bottle jacks are far more stable. Also, if you're lifting from under the suspension arm/axle then the car barely needs to be lifted off the ground to get the wheel off, further increasing stability.

I think what Landie Man was referring to was that while a Land Rover hand brake is very strong, you still have play in especially the differentials and tension to be taken up in the drivetrain meaning it will happily roll a few inches in either direction once the hand brake is applied. You'll see this in action when you come to a rolling stop on a hill, apply the hand brake, and the car will lurch forward a few inches as you take your foot off the brake.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but bottle jacks and scissor jacks are NO better than each other.
    The base of neither can move and are therefore as equally unstable.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 14, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.