The Student Room Group

2012: The year the SQA went nice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have English, Maths and Business to go and I'm really hoping they are all fine. Business should be okay as the Head of the Business department at my school says anything will be more relaxed than what last years paper was.
Original post by mysqa
Can I just say SQA are always nice. :smile:

Only you Sam :love:
Reply 42
Really hope so, all I want is one measly C in Chemistry and I'll be a happy man!!
Higher chemistry was brutal last year.
Reply 44
Having said that, I probably should go to sleep as my exam is tomorrow today!
Reply 45
I forgot about chemistry:frown:

Worrying about maths got to do adv next year :frown:
Reply 46
Yeah, the SQA never went nice. AH Chemistry :colondollar:
Reply 47
The Higher Chemistry paper has definitely diminished any hope of the SQA turning 'nice'.
Original post by Lewis_Mac
The Higher Chemistry paper has definitely diminished any hope of the SQA turning 'nice'.

Higher Chemistry is always brutal.

Personally feel it's a very poorly taught subject.
Reply 49
The Higher Chemistry paper was just so wierd.... Some the questions I'd never seen before, and my teacher has done the last 12 years with us :confused:
Reply 50
Typical, when I don't have any more SQA exams ever (did my AHs last year), everyone talks about the SQA going all "nice" :tongue:

Good luck to everyone who still has exams and fingers crossed you get the grades you're hoping for! :smile:
Reply 51
In a word..... no chance xD
Reply 52
the sqa was a bitch in chemistry
I'm not entirely sure 'nice' is the right word. Out of all the exams I have sat up to now (SG English, Maths, Geography, French & Chemistry), the exams have been mostly fair with some easy questions with a few more difficult ones thrown in. I would say the exams this year are on par with the difficulty of most past papers. So I would say the this year the SQA were 'fair'.
AH Chemistry was disgusting.
It's funny how we get a bad rep every year after Chemistry. Speaking for myself obviously I found chemistry so uninteresting I found it hard to stay awake and study for it. I wonder if that's the problem?
Having just sat higher English, I'd say the SQA are not being nice, but different. I didn't think the close reading was too difficult, although some questions were a bit meh. The critical essay paper on the other hand, was chock full of weird questions that were unlike most past papers. Thankfully, the odds seemed to be in my favour as I got appropriate essay questions, but many people thought it was a nightmare.
Reply 57
Original post by mintaddiction
Having just sat higher English, I'd say the SQA are not being nice, but different. I didn't think the close reading was too difficult, although some questions were a bit meh. The critical essay paper on the other hand, was chock full of weird questions that were unlike most past papers. Thankfully, the odds seemed to be in my favour as I got appropriate essay questions, but many people thought it was a nightmare.

I think the close reading was fair to be honest. I agree as well that the essay paper was strange but I did get alright questions, although I ended up loosing the structure through my essay which was annoying.
Original post by ..lauren
I think the close reading was fair to be honest. I agree as well that the essay paper was strange but I did get alright questions, although I ended up loosing the structure through my essay which was annoying.

Yep, I really want to go and praise our english teacher for choosing 'A Streetcar Named Desire' to study with us this year seeing as it had THE MOST AWESOME QUESTIONS. Poetry was icky, but I ended up doing alright in the structure question.

However, our teacher had given us this whole reassuring speech about how seeing as this is the first year of the new 5 marker question in the close reading, it would most likely be straight forward but I still found it as hard as the ones we had sat in class. I think I got two and half points down before I ran out of time.

So yeah, SQA you've not been too nasty, but you've certainly given us some unwelcome surprises.
Reply 59
Original post by mintaddiction
Yep, I really want to go and praise our english teacher for choosing 'A Streetcar Named Desire' to study with us this year seeing as it had THE MOST AWESOME QUESTIONS. Poetry was icky, but I ended up doing alright in the structure question.

However, our teacher had given us this whole reassuring speech about how seeing as this is the first year of the new 5 marker question in the close reading, it would most likely be straight forward but I still found it as hard as the ones we had sat in class. I think I got two and half points down before I ran out of time.

So yeah, SQA you've not been too nasty, but you've certainly given us some unwelcome surprises.

Yea, the five mark question WAS NOT straight forward! It was in that it was agree OND disagree and not either one, but the passages just dealt with separate issues :/ Still, I load a **** load of total bs for it! haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending