The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse biology may 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by g_l
Hey...I put the temp on the y axis (side) and the year on the x axis (bottom)

How did you guys do it?
I almost forgot to put a title! :P ( luckily i remembered to in the last few mins lol)
Always double check the paper...
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I5801

A title is never needed on the mark scheme. I found this way harder than january actually! it wasn't the material it was the way they phrased it and stuff :/ Could someone get a hold of the paper and upload it? Pleaaaaseeee ? :colondollar: Med wannabe here need to ease my conscience
Can someone upload the paper? (With or without solutions, I don't care.)

I lost 4 definite marks, despite knowing everything for 3 of them. On top of that, my answer to the dwarfism question was slightly dubious (those with the condition would be less likely to attract a partner). I would put an approximate lower bound of my paper at around 105/120 (I was expecting higher), which means I'll need at least 50/60 or so to be confident of an A* :frown:
Reply 182
Original post by Big-Daddy
Can someone upload the paper? (With or without solutions, I don't care.)

I lost 4 definite marks, despite knowing everything for 3 of them. On top of that, my answer to the dwarfism question was slightly dubious (those with the condition would be less likely to attract a partner). I would put an approximate lower bound of my paper at around 105/120 (I was expecting higher), which means I'll need at least 50/60 or so to be confident of an A* :frown:

Same I just want to know where I stand because I made a sensible attempt at this paper but some questions were weird and I just want to see to put my mind at rest. Someone please get it from their centre and upload it :frown:?
What topics didn't come up? So far i think food chains and genetic modification are likely to come up on Friday.
Oh no
Can somebody remind me what the graph question was about? I don't remember seeing a graph, hope i didn't miss that question :s-smilie:
Original post by lollipoppery
Oh no
Can somebody remind me what the graph question was about? I don't remember seeing a graph, hope i didn't miss that question :s-smilie:

It was a very odd line graph - a general upwards trend, more points to plot than usual, confusing scale. Should have started with 8 (deg C) I think, gone up about two-thirds of the page to 10. It was about rising temperatures between the 17th century and 1995.

If you did miss it, I'm sorry, but that's 6 marks ... :s-smilie:
Reply 186
Original post by Stopmessing
What topics didn't come up? So far i think food chains and genetic modification are likely to come up on Friday.

I revised so much on genetic modification so I hope it comes up on Friday.
There could be something on breathing/lungs because I don't think that there's been that much on it so far.
Also, there could be something on maybe the reflex arc??

Did anyone get a really weirdly shaped graph for the graph question too, because I'm not sure if mine looked right...
Reply 187
What were the three advantages of pesticide rather than biological control?
Original post by aaa_aaa

no biaccumulation,no leaching/eutrophication,better for the envirnemnt doesnt go to the eco-system..etc
Reply 189
Original post by aaa_aaa

It was biological control over pesticides.
Original post by aaa_aaa

You mean biological control rather than pesticides, right?

I wrote two that are quite secure (biological control only needs to be applied once, pesticides regularly; pests can develop resistance to pesticide) and one that is, again, rather unsteady (that pesticides cause eutrophication when they are washed by rain into rivers - I've seen some websites that appear to confirm it but I don't know whether this will be in the mark scheme).
Reply 191
yeah it was weird lol
owell
What do you think will come up friday...people here have mentioned breathing/lungs, ecology and GM
I think nitrogen cycle, making beer or cheese or yoghurt,
anything on the heart/blood/circulation?
how bout smoking?
osmosis?
transpiration?
(probably not those 2 as it is only 1 hr..)
inheritance(eg codominance)
whaddya think...:tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192
For the graph the scales on the y-axis has 15 boxes and there was a 1.5C temperature difference between the highest and the lowest, so basically 1 box for .1C temp.
The scale starts from 8.6C and ends at 10.1C.
The place where i had trouble was the difference between the male and female gametes thing and one other question i dont recall. The paper was pretty good though
Guys the graph if we used 25 years per box , then it would have been easy to plot. But i made it 30 per box But my plotting is still correct. So how many marks would i lose and would it only be the scale marks(q mark).
Also the pesticed could be the cause of bioaccumulation. Bio control is better because it doesnt have the risk of bioaccumulation.
Reply 194
Original post by Asad14

The place where i had trouble was the difference between the male and female gametes thing and one other question i dont recall. The paper was pretty good though

Male gametes are more in number and smaller as they must travel to the female gamete. A higher quantity of them gives a higher success rate of fertilisation as only one male gamete can enter the egg cell that will develop.

That's what I put at least.
Original post by Big-Daddy
It was a very odd line graph - a general upwards trend, more points to plot than usual, confusing scale. Should have started with 8 (deg C) I think, gone up about two-thirds of the page to 10. It was about rising temperatures between the 17th century and 1995.

If you did miss it, I'm sorry, but that's 6 marks ... :s-smilie:

thanks, i remember it now :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Vince xD
Male gametes are more in number and smaller as they must travel to the female gamete. A higher quantity of them gives a higher success rate of fertilisation as only one male gamete can enter the egg cell that will develop.

That's what I put at least.

Yea thats what i did.
Another question which was a bit weird was why there are less people with the condition even though it is controlled by a dominant gene or something
I wrote its because people aren't attracted to shorter people and followed on with that.
I couldn't really think of anything else. Anybody wrote any other answer for that question?
Reply 197
Original post by Asad14
Yea thats what i did.
Another question which was a bit weird was why there are less people with the condition even though it is controlled by a dominant gene or something
I wrote its because people aren't attracted to shorter people and followed on with that.
I couldn't really think of anything else. Anybody wrote any other answer for that question?

I really didn't want to put that because it seemed really harsh - wouldn't want to get on the examiner's bad side. That was a really vague question though.
Also being small helps male gametes to be more mobile...
Reply 199
I know i might be opening up a can of worms here because people were all very divided at my school, on the yeast respiration question, was temperature the independent variable and rate of CO2 production the dependent variable, thats what i put anyway?!

Quick Reply

Latest