The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse biology may 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by sahajkaur
Actually yes all 3 were under timed conditions as mocks in class thank you captain obvious. And how do you expect the other topics to come up if the paper is 100% experimental. How the f*ck is the comprehension experimental silly people. I have 4 past papers I can happily exhibit to you to show you all that you guys are all wrong (2 Specimen paper 2 and two exam paper 2). The experiment bits are do not make up 60 of the marks maybe 10 or less. You guys can revise the experiments I don't care but i guarantee it won't get you anywhere...
i agree but where did you get the specimen
from if you dont mind
Does anyone have access to the January 2012 papers?
Reply 462
TBH, revising experiments is a given, surely?

They're on the syllabus so you should revise them - am I right in saying paper 2 test you on EVERYTHING?

They could test us on anything on there to be honest - doesn't matter what you THINK will come up, because at the end of the day we don't know do we?

So having said that, just revise everything you can, better to be safe than sorry.

And even if he doesn't come up who gives a sh*t anyway? They're not exactly hard to learn...
Reply 463
Original post by Umackjiggles
Does anyone have access to the January 2012 papers?

http://www.mediafire.com/?99hzey1atzs4s#k2kg38yffbha4

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 464
Original post by Tazxx_xx
Are you saying we should or shouldn't worry about learning the experiments in much detail?

Don't. you do NOT need to rote learn them. All the questions are common sense, like what is the independent variable?
Reply 465
Don't. you do NOT need to rote learn them. All the questions are common sense, like what is the independent variable?

Oh hallelujah for that! Thank you!

Reply 466

I'd say learn them.

What could he lose?
http://www.mediafire.com/?99hzey1atzs4s#k2kg38yffbha4

thanks.
Reply 468
Original post by nitrome
i agree but where did you get the specimen
from if you dont mind

from the website

Original post by F H 95
TBH, revising experiments is a given, surely?

They're on the syllabus so you should revise them - am I right in saying paper 2 test you on EVERYTHING?

They could test us on anything on there to be honest - doesn't matter what you THINK will come up, because at the end of the day we don't know do we?

So having said that, just revise everything you can, better to be safe than sorry.

And even if he doesn't come up who gives a sh*t anyway? They're not exactly hard to learn...

No, not really. No experiments come up in the form they do in the specification. Like there will not be a question on: describe how to carry out an experiment to compare the effect on SA:vol ratio on diffusion (10 marks). Nope that will never happen. It will be stupid stuff (like it has been in the past, im surprised your teachers dont tell you anything) like what is the dependant variable? Name two factors you should keep the same? Stuff like that. So unless you want to waste your precious time, dont learn them but if you want do! I dont really give one. This is the response you get if you try to help people.
Reply 469
Original post by F H 95
I'd say learn them.

What could he lose?

Well you do whatever you want, my fault for helping. I hope you have fun wasting your time. You obviously know more about these exams than the examiners who work at our school. Oops my fault!
Reply 470
from the website

No, not really. No experiments come up in the form they do in the specification. Like there will not be a question on: describe how to carry out an experiment to compare the effect on SA:vol ratio on diffusion (10 marks). Nope that will never happen. It will be stupid stuff (like it has been in the past, im surprised your teachers dont tell you anything) like what is the dependant variable? Name two factors you should keep the same? Stuff like that. So unless you want to waste your precious time, dont learn them but if you want do! I dont really give one. This is the response you get if you try to help people.

I honestly agree with you. That's how it's been in previous papers, hasn't it?

Reply 471
Well you do whatever you want, my fault for helping. I hope you have fun wasting your time. You obviously know more about these exams than the examiners who work at our school. Oops my fault!

Haha so bitter - Jam your hype no-one's being provocative LOL
Reply 472
Original post by F H 95

I will when you acquire some common sense :smile:
Reply 473
I honestly agree with you. That's how it's been in previous papers, hasn't it?

YES! Thank you. Finally someone with a brain.
Reply 474
Original post by F H 95

its ok, someone obviously wants to become a teacher so its fine they know best..... just wish i could see the look on their faces when they see an experiment they should have learnt..... revising what you already know is a waste of time (i.e. theory)... u dont miss a point out on the theory because you think its common sense or they havent asked it yet.... you revise it!
Original post by IGCSE
i believe in the opposite tbh..... learning the experiments is useful as u can explain the results.... instead of BSing what you would expect to be right

It isn't BS. It's the very opposite. It's real biology: taking results and finding explanations for them that mean something to do with nature. Memorizing the expected results is never going to lead you anywhere. In any case, it's always possible that they give you an experiment that is either obscure or totally unheard of and ask you to speak about the results. Take the January 2012 Paper 2B, for instance. Would it be easier to memorize two hundred experiments (because you'd need that many to know the answers for the sodium hydrogen-carbonate indicator one) or to realize that the more light there is, the more CO2 will be absorbed by photosynthesis, and thus the less CO2 there will be in the atmosphere?
Original post by F H 95
I'd say learn them.

What could he lose?

Precious time?
Reply 477
Original post by Big-Daddy
It isn't BS. It's the very opposite. It's real biology: taking results and finding explanations for them that mean something to do with nature. Memorizing the expected results is never going to lead you anywhere. In any case, it's always possible that they give you an experiment that is either obscure or totally unheard of and ask you to speak about the results. Take the January 2012 Paper 2B, for instance. Would it be easier to memorize two hundred experiments (because you'd need that many to know the answers for the sodium hydrogen-carbonate indicator one) or to realize that the more light there is, the more CO2 will be absorbed by photosynthesis, and thus the less CO2 there will be in the atmosphere?

you would know that already ^^^ from theory but at the same time how would you know that the cause of the purple colour of hydrogen carbonate is due to the removal of an acidic gas (Co2) causing it to be alkaline and therefore purple?
Reply 478
Evaluate the potential for using cloned transgenic animals, for example to produce commercial quantities of human antibodies or organs for transplantation?????? Could anyone give me a few ideas as to what this is about. Thanks :smile:
Reply 479
Original post by Big-Daddy

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying! Learning the experiments is of no use because they never come up int eh same format so people are going to be gutted when they see one tomorrow and think sh*t I didn't revise that rather than using some common sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending