Edexcel igcse biology may 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
jogon mate at least i know what a zygote is
Original post by goxy
umackjiggles could u answer my question please?? :smile:

what was your question?
Original post by Umackjiggles
you would use it on explants that take it up and then you would grow them in a culture medium as per micropropagation. Not sure what this tumour you mention is.

OK, I see, don't worry about it ... I take it that if you don't know about it, we don't need it. :smile:

On the topic of GM plants, what would you say are the advantages versus disadvantages of modifying GM plants? It's directly stated on the specification, so I'm thinking, if GM's going to come up tomorrow, we should have some on hand.
Reply 563
beer production?
Original post by Big-Daddy
OK, I see, don't worry about it ... I take it that if you don't know about it, we don't need it. :smile:

On the topic of GM plants, what would you say are the advantages versus disadvantages of modifying GM plants? It's directly stated on the specification, so I'm thinking, if GM's going to come up tomorrow, we should have some on hand.

I'm honoured :smile: . Advantages are that you can grow a large collection of plants with advantageous phenotypes such as bacteria-resistance, temperature neutrality, etc. Disadvantages are that if the plants are insect-pollinated or indeed wind-pollinated their pollen might be distributed into the wild which would lead to heightened competition for nutrients and the subsequent death of plants and other organisms in the ecosystem (disruption of food chain) on account of the GM plants extraordinary ability to survive in abnormal conditions.
Reply 565
Original post by Umackjiggles
what was your question?

please could someone explain production of beer so that its understandable ??
Original post by Tentinator
A comprehension on the CNS

Learn to spell cord, not chord

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes, there are obviously going to be 3 different comprehensions, one on the topic covered in a comprehension in the same paper last year and one on a topic that's covered in the textbooks in about 3 lines. :rolleyes:
They asked about beer so they won't ask it tomorrow.

Reply 568
Reply 569
please could someone explain production of beer so that its understandable ?
Original post by goxy

Ok I will break it down into 8 steps.

1. You germinate barley seeds on account of the fact that they produce the enzyme amylase (starch -> maltose -> glucose).
2. You kill the seeds by depriving them of heat and removing their food stores /crushing them and you dry them in order to make malt.
3. Ground up seeds and add to water.
4. Boil and filter solution.
5. Add hops for taste.
6. Add yeast (fungus) that respires aerobically until it runs out at which point it begins to respire anaerobically using the maltose/glucose in the fermenter.
7. Ethanol is produced as per C6H12O6 --> C2H5OH + CO2 (Not balanced).
8. Yeast dies once ethanol concentration goes above 15% at which point the solution is extracted and centrifuged/filtered before it is put in kegs and sold as beer.
Reply 571
ne1?
BEER WILL NOT BE EXAMINED IN JUNE 2012 2B'S PAPER

Original post by goxy
ne1?

Bump for humour

Reply 574
cheers man lifesaver :biggrin:
A comprehension on cardiac arrest and lifestyle.

Original post by goxy
cheers man lifesaver :biggrin:

Thank you goxy.

A comprehension on eye

Message me for any last minute exam questions
A comprehension on diabetes. Doubtful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending