The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse biology may 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _ashT
hey guys, i have mine tomorrow at 9am. feeling pretty confident but I still can't really get my mind around the whole 'micropropagation' and 'hydroponics'. if any of you could help me out, that'd be lovely! thanks :-)

Am i the only person taking morning exams at noon (1.30 PM) it is strange to see the word morning in the papers when we do at 2 a'clock
And even more stranger to see afternoon when we come out from the exams at 8 30! Weird times
Reply 121
Original post by Tazxx_xx
So nervous for this... Good luck to everyone! When can we discuss the paper?

12 hours after the paper takes place :smile:
Original post by Umackjiggles
This is going to be a long post but here goes :

1. In plant - plant transfer you still use a plasmid which you take from Agrobacterium and use restriction endonucleases on both the desired gene and the plasmid. They then stick together one account of their "sticky ends" and you use DNA ligase to fix the backbone (phosphodiester links) of the plasmid. You then put the plasmid into a petri dish with leaf discs and wait for some of it to be taken up by the leaves. The leaves then grow into a new plant which has the desired gene.
2. The vector is the agrobacterium plasmid.
3. It never is a zygote. Zygote refers to the diploid cell formed immediately after the oocyte and sperm (or pollen in this case) nuclei fuse. Instead here you add the plasmid to the explants of the plant that are the leaves.
4. A transgenic organism is an organism that receives a gene from a different species.

Super thanks. do they teach you this at school.
But in a marksheme they defined transgenic animal as one which had recombinant Dna transferred into, not necessarily from another species - which contradicts the specification.

And another question - for the designing experiment question must or mustn't we write in prose. can we write it in CORMS form or is it a must to write in prose.
Anyone answering will do me great help!!
Reply 123
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
But in a marksheme they defined transgenic animal as one which had recombinant Dna transferred into, not necessarily from another species - which contradicts the specification.

And another question - for the designing experiment question must or mustn't we write in prose. can we write it in CORMS form or is it a must to write in prose.

We have always been told to answer in Prose :smile:
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

Glad I could help :smile: . With regards to the CORMS questions it is solely down to personal preference how you answer the questions. I use CORMS to check if what I have written covers all of the points but you will be fine if you just write out CORMS and next to each thing what you would do to meet that point. On the actual mark schemes they set it out like that so you should be fine either way.
does anyone have any tips on how to answer the "Describe the results / graph" questions? They are really annoying.
Reply 126
does anyone have any tips on how to answer the "Describe the results / graph" questions? They are really annoying.

If they are two markers I say how it increases/decreases and steeply or quite gradually and then saying it levels off after (give value here). Thats the shape of most graphs :P
And for describe results I usually splat and hope, seems to work
Original post by sahajkaur
If they are two markers I say how it increases/decreases and steeply or quite gradually and then saying it levels off after (give value here). Thats the shape of most graphs :P

seems legit :smile:
Reply 128
good luck everyone with tommorows exam :smile:
Micropropagation:

Small cuttings, known as explants, are taken from a large parent plant. They are then placed in sterile nutrient agar jelly and supplied with growth hormones, causing them to develop into shoots. At this point they are transferred to a greenhouse where temperature, light levels and CO2 are controlled to the optimum levels for the shoots, and they can grow. This process is quick and efficient and can go on all year; it can produce large numbers of plants; and all produced plants will be genetically identical to the parent plant.

Haha, you find the easiest questions hard ... and the hardest ones easy.

I would say "the rate of photosynthesis increases with increasing temperature up to 40 deg C, above which the rate begins to decrease (as the enzymes for photosynthesis begin to have the shape of their active sites changed), and finally (as the enzymes are denatured) the rate of photosynthesis reaches 0 at 80 deg C" (for example). The points I have in brackets wouldn't be necessary for a "describe" question.
Reply 131
best of luck everyone with tomorrows exam....
Good luck guys with your exam tomorrow! :biggrin: Try your best and don't panic :')
Reply 133
good luck :biggrin: hope its like june 2011 (piece of cake :biggrin:)
Best of luck everyone! I dont think im ready though :P
Original post by Big-Daddy
Haha, you find the easiest questions hard ... and the hardest ones easy.

I would say "the rate of photosynthesis increases with increasing temperature up to 40 deg C, above which the rate begins to decrease (as the enzymes for photosynthesis begin to have the shape of their active sites changed), and finally (as the enzymes are denatured) the rate of photosynthesis reaches 0 at 80 deg C" (for example). The points I have in brackets wouldn't be necessary for a "describe" question.

Original post by sahajkaur

Thanks for the help guys and good luck with the exam tomorrow :smile:
Reply 136
We're all in the UK right? It'll be over soon! XD
You guys can do it. Don't worry!!

Just remember to get some good rest, and stay fresh for the day. The last thing you want is to doze off during your paper.

Don't panic! Even if you think the question is unanswerable; trust me you'll work your way through the paper ... somehow.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE for tomorrow's exam!

You first state the pattern regardless of levelling off or not (like rate increases with time) [1 mark] then you describe something that does not agree with your first sentence (like rate levels off). These questions are usually 2 marks. If is 3 marks it usually asks you to state a value for the peak (like optimum temperature in the enzyme graphs). I answer it like that. Strange its annoying for you.
does anyone know if cell wall is an organelle or not? (stupid question but should make sure) 2 and a half hours more but I still don't get it
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending