Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fondant Icing: Aye or Nay?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Are you a fan of fondant icing?
    I'm an advocate of fondant icing and would use it in my daily baking
    40.54%
    I would only use fondant icing in special situations like wedding cakes
    27.03%
    I dislike the use of fondant icing and would never use it myself
    21.62%
    Impartial
    10.81%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As above. For those who may not know what this is: Remember the layer of sweet coating on the last wedding cake you had that had a texture resembling clay/uncooked dough? That's what I'm talking about.

Having recently gained an interest in baking I have come across quite a lot of cakes that are decorated with fondant icing. Whilst I totally respect the craftsmanship behind the making of those stunning cake decorations I fail to appreciate its popularity given its unpleasant taste. Most people seem to peel it off when they eat a cake decorated/covered in fondant icing. As far as I know not many enjoy eating the decorations on their own. So, what's the point if I may ask?

To create a cake that looks wonderful but lacking in taste with the added trouble of needing to avoid the ubiquitous fondant covering the cake or focusing more on decorating a cake using buttercreams (which are yum, although more difficult to manipulate) and tempered chocolates (again a difficult technique but definitely more delicious than fondants imo).

Bakers or non bakers alike, do vote and share your opinions!
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I use marzipan in place of fondant for making some cake decorations - tastes awesome, and you can get it either yellowy coloured or in white.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Personally I use marzipan in place of fondant for making some cake decorations - tastes awesome, and you can get it either yellowy coloured or in white.
    Yes I agree marzipan is like the better tasting cousin of fondant. Do you regularly use marzipan to cover your cakes as well or just for making stand alone decorations? Personally I'm a massive fan of buttercreams, or anything with butter or meringue in it for the smooth and buttery texture. The letdown is there's a limit to what one can make out of those, i.e; they can't be moulded.

I'll definitely give marzipan a go at some point though.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da CorrupteD KiD)
    Yes I agree marzipan is like the better tasting cousin of fondant. Do you regularly use marzipan to cover your cakes as well or just for making stand alone decorations? Personally I'm a massive fan of buttercreams, or anything with butter or meringue in it for the smooth and buttery texture. The letdown is there's a limit to what one can make out of those, i.e; they can't be moulded.

I'll definitely give marzipan a go at some point though.
    I've done both - either covered the whole thing with marzipan (you use heated up apricot jam to make it stick), or I've also covered the cake in buttercream and then stuck marzipan decorations onto that. Both seemed to work pretty well, and definitely tasted better than fondant.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love fondant...sometimes just out of the packet :ninja:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely LOVE fondant icing :love: a cake covering in buttercream and fondant icing is the best thing in the world :coma:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes to eat it :mmm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling TSR is going to be the place where I'm going to find the most fondant lovers ever in my life.. Can I be ever so rude to ask you guys what brand(s) of fondants do you find tasty?? Or do you make your own?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's almost pure sugar; OF COURSE I like it!

<3 x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    It's almost pure sugar; OF COURSE I like it!

<3 x
    But it reminds me of clay and sugar needs its best partner, i.e; butter, to truly shine imo. Or maybe I'm just more of butter fan. It seems the french have taught me well. :eek:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    But it reminds me of clay and sugar needs its best partner, i.e; butter, to truly shine imo. Or maybe I'm just more of butter fan. It seems the french have taught me well. :eek:
    You've clearly never had home made icing :coma:

But I'd do have the BIGGEST sweet tooth!

<3 x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    You've clearly never had home made icing :coma:

But I'd do have the BIGGEST sweet tooth!

<3 x
    Sadly that's true. But I don't have a sweet tooth at all, I'm more of a carnivore if anything, which is ironic seeing as I have started baking recently. I'd suggest you look out for french macarons especially when you visit Paris, they may well be your idea of heaven. In fact, I've just posted an entry on macarons on my baking blog if you wish to take a look. (I know, I am blatantly enticing you to read my blog).

Link is in the sig if you're keen.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sadly that's true. But I don't have a sweet tooth at all, I'm more of a carnivore if anything, which is ironic seeing as I have started baking recently. I'd suggest you look out for french macarons especially when you visit Paris, they may well be your idea of heaven. In fact, I've just posted an entry on macarons on my baking blog if you wish to take a look. (I know, I am blatantly enticing you to read my blog).

Link is in the sig if you're keen.
    Aww, I feel sorry for you not experiencing the awesomeness of home made fondant

But you are so right about the macaroons, mum brought some back from Paris last year :coma:

<3 x
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    homemade fondant icing is soooooooooooo much better than the chemical packed stuff you get out of a packet

marshmallow fondant :coma:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE fondant icing - i'm one of the people who picks the icing and marzipan off the cake and leaves the actual fruit cake :P

But i'd probably only use it for fancy cakes - i prefer buttercream for home baking

Or CREAM CHEESE icing - it is the best thing in the world!

I've just made myself really hungry :P
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't dislike fondant, nor do I like it.
    I mean, I'll eat it so long as the layer isn't too thick around my cake.
    I don't/wouldn't use it in my day to day baking, because I usually make cupcakes and cupcakes with fondant icing sounds and looks weird.

I'd maybe go for modelling chocolate (that is what I think it is, right?) instead of fondant depending on what it was for, or a thin layer of fondant. Too much is really sickly.

Basically: buttercream 'dirty ice' the cake + think layer of fondant, or else modelling chocolate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    I don't dislike fondant, nor do I like it.
    I mean, I'll eat it so long as the layer isn't too thick around my cake.
    I don't/wouldn't use it in my day to day baking, because I usually make cupcakes and cupcakes with fondant icing sounds and looks weird.

I'd maybe go for modelling chocolate (that is what I think it is, right?) instead of fondant depending on what it was for, or a thin layer of fondant. Too much is really sickly.

Basically: buttercream 'dirty ice' the cake + think layer of fondant, or else modelling chocolate.
    I think that is generally called 'chocolate tempering', although strictly speaking tempering is the process of melting the chocolate, cooling it down and then raise the temperature to a specific temperature(so it doesn't really include the part where you turn it into specific shapes). I am a beginner in baking so like you I tend to stick to buttercreams, chocolate glacage/ganache and cream cheese frostings because these in my opinion taste the best out of all icings/toppings! Having seen the replies from some of the people who posted here regarding tasty fondant icing/marzipan I might actually try making them myself one day and see if it would change my opinion about them.

There are so many things I want to bake but exams are in the way at the moment. Can't wait for my last paper to be over!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    homemade fondant icing is soooooooooooo much better than the chemical packed stuff you get out of a packet

marshmallow fondant :coma:
    I like marshmallows and have always thought they would taste good as fondant too? Hmm...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fondant icing is sometimes nice, sometimes horrible. I've never actually made it myself (or used ready made stuff - only tried it on wedding cakes etc), seems like too much work...but apparently it is nicer homemade, haha.

Marzipan is horrible though, can't stand it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I detest fondant :/ Not really keen on buttercream either...hence I always make a poorly decorated chocolate cake :P

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.