The Student Room Group

proof by induction help

Using standard result for∑_(r=1)^n▒r^3
Show that ∑_(r=n+1)^2n▒r^3 = n2/4(3n+1)(5n+3)
I began with n=2
2=2
Assume n=k
=∑_(r=k+1)^2k▒r^3 = k2/4(3k+1)(5k+3)
Not sure of the next step because of the 2n?

Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 1
So you need to show that it holds for n=k+1 --> 2n=2k+2. Next notice that

r=k+22k+2r3=r=k+12kr3r=k+1k+1r3+r=2k+12k+1r3+r=2k+22k+2r3 \displaystyle \sum_{r=k+2}^{2k+2}r^3 = \sum_{r=k+1}^{2k}r^3 - \sum_{r=k+1}^{k+1}r^3 + \sum_{r=2k+1}^{2k+1}r^3 + \sum_{r=2k+2}^{2k+2}r^3

Does this help?
Original post by Petro_99
Using standard result for∑_(r=1)^n▒r^3
Show that ∑_(r=n+1)^2n▒r^3 = n2/4(3n+1)(5n+3)
I began with n=2
2=2
Assume n=k
=∑_(r=k+1)^2k▒r^3 = k2/4(3k+1)(5k+3)
Not sure of the next step because of the 2n?

Thanks in advance:smile:

I think the question is not asking you to use induction but to use the standard formula for sum of cubes a couple of time to work out the sum between the limits they ask for.
Reply 3
Original post by ian.slater
I think the question is not asking you to use induction but to use the standard formula for sum of cubes a couple of time to work out the sum between the limits they ask for.

Having looked at the question again, I agree with you.
Reply 4
so what do i do?
Reply 5
sum r = half n(n+1)

ring any bells?

sub all that in then typically there's some rearranging to do to match the format
Original post by Petro_99
so what do i do?

You could start by working out the sum of the first 2n cubes. You need the standard formula for summing cubes which should be in your book. But you need to sum to 2n, not just to n.
Reply 7
Original post by mucgoo
sum r = half n(n+1)

ring any bells?

sub all that in then typically there's some rearranging to do to match the format

Original post by ian.slater
You could start by working out the sum of the first 2n cubes. You need the standard formula for summing cubes which should be in your book. But you need to sum to 2n, not just to n.

ahhh! lol

thanks for your help! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest