Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

FP3 - 2 Limits Questions - Stuck

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ready To Answer Now - Latex Problem Sorted
    If I didn't rep you that's because I couldn't

Q1:

\displaystyle\lim_{x\to \infty} \dfrac{x+e^x}{x-e^x}

I have tried multiplying top and bottom by  x + e^x and that didn;t get me anywhere, I then tried expanding the ex's and after some working eventually got stuck at

\displaystyle \dfrac{1+2x+\dfrac{x^2}{2}+...}{-1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\cdots}

\

= (-1)(1+2x+\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \cdots)(1+ (\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \dfrac{x^3}{6}+\cdots))^{-1}

I have been on it for a while so a solution would be better than a hint, unless there is something small that I am missing or a mistake somewhere.

Q2:

\displaystyle F(x) = \dfrac{e^x}{1-x}

\

\text{Show that} F(x) \to -\infty \ \text {as} \ x \to \infty

For this one I expanded ex and brought the (1-x) to the top and expanded it, multiplied it out and I am stuck at

(1+2x+\frac{5x^2}{2} \cdots)

Same as above, all help is appreciated.

Thnx
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    On Q1 you could try multiplying top and bottom by e^-x.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    Yea, that works lol. The answer is -1, why didn't I see something so simple !!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member910132)

Q1:

I have tried multiplying top and bottom by  x + e^x and that didn;t get me anywhere, I then tried expanding the ex's and after some working eventually got stuck at

\

= (-1)(1+2x+\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \cdots)(1+ (\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \dfrac{x^3}{6}+\cdots))^{-1}

I have been on it for a while so a solution would be better than a hint, unless there is something small that I am missing or a mistake somewhere.

Q2:

\

For this one I expanded ex and brought the (1-x) to the top and expanded it, multiplied it out and I am stuck at

Thnx
    second one:
    large +ve x makes e^x +ve and 1-x -ve so F is -ve. Now consider the relative order of exponentials and linear expressions in x.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    Just tried that for Q2 and I get:

\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{e^{-x}-xe^{-x}}Using the general result that xe^(-x) tends to 0 as x tends to infinity my only problem is showing how F(x) goes to negative infinity and not just infinity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Q1:

\

Q2:

\

Thnx
    You could use L'Hopital' s Theorem...they both come out very easily then.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    second one:
    large +ve x makes e^x +ve and 1-x -ve so F is -ve. Now consider the relative order of exponentials and linear expressions in x.
    Sorry, I don't follow the second part.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikelbird)
    That isn't on the AQA FP3 syllabus and I don't want to learn stuff that ain't on the syllabus.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't follow the second part.
    from an intuitive point of view, e^x is like a polynomial of very high degree and so it's going to tend to infinity faster than a linear function.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just tried that for Q2 and I get:

\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{e^{-x}-xe^{-x}}Using the general result that xe^(-x) tends to 0 as x tends to infinity my only problem is showing how F(x) goes to negative infinity and not just infinity.
    x e^-x > e^-x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For Q2 I am almost there, I just need to show that  \dfrac{1}{e^{-x} - xe^{-x}} will tendo to  \displaystyle -\infty.  \displaystyle e^{-x}\to 0, xe^{-x} \to 0 as  \displaystyle x\to \infty but I need to show that they tend to  \displaystyle  0 from the negative as only then will the function  \displaystyle \to -\infty.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikelbird)
    Not allowed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So is it sufficient for me to say that  \displaystyle  \dfrac{1}{e^{-x} - xe^{-x}} \to -\infty as  x\to \infty because both terms in the denominator tend to zero and  xe^{-x} > e^x ?

Edit: So can it be said that as  x\to \infty, \ e^{-x} - xe^{-x}\to 0- and hence  \displaystyle  \dfrac{1}{e^{-x} - xe^{-x}} \to -\infty?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump - will anyone verify my above post so I can finish this thread ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump - will anyone verify my above post so I can finish this thread ?
    I'd be happy with it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.