The Student Room Group

S1 venn diagrams

prob.jpg

I'm really baffled about how they did this question. My teacher said you should always minus the intersection value when you're filling out the outer 'intersections' for a lack of better word. Like for this particular example the intersection is 10, right? (A B and C). If I wanted to fill out the space where it is A and C but not B normally you'd do 100 - 10, no? So why did they just put in 100 instead of 90? I'm really confused. I've seen questions like this before and I'm not sure when and when not to minus the intersection... can someone explain this please?
Reply 1
Original post by InadequateJusticex
If I wanted to fill out the space where it is A and C but not B normally you'd do 100 - 10, no?

No

Because it said A and C but not B = 100

It actually gave you that section

It said NOT C
Original post by TenOfThem
No

Because it said A and C but not B = 100

It actually gave you that section

It said NOT C

So if it said NOT x then you just put the value in? And if it just says A and B without mentioning C you would've minused the intersection first?
Reply 3
Original post by InadequateJusticex
So if it said NOT x then you just put the value in? And if it just says A and B without mentioning C you would've minused the intersection first?

Yes
Original post by TenOfThem
Yes

That makes a lot more sense, thanks :smile:
Reply 5
I think you're approaching this mechanically rather than understanding what each sector in the Venn Diagram means. For this question, there are three sets A, B, C. You've understood where the three sets intersect (A and B and C). You don't seem to have understood that there are three further intersecting sectors. It's pretty obvious from the questions what these are.

Your teacher is correct in that normally you have to calculate the value for every sector in questions of this type, but in this case they're mostly given. The only one you have to calculate is the one outside the sets.

Hope this helps.
Original post by grazie
I think you're approaching this mechanically rather than understanding what each sector in the Venn Diagram means. For this question, there are three sets A, B, C. You've understood where the three sets intersect (A and B and C). You don't seem to have understood that there are three further intersecting sectors. It's pretty obvious from the questions what these are.

Your teacher is correct in that normally you have to calculate the value for every sector in questions of this type, but in this case they're mostly given. The only one you have to calculate is the one outside the sets.

Hope this helps.

I dont think he went through an example where the values were already given to you so it was kind of new to me...

Quick Reply

Latest