The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official Passfield Hall Thread 2012!

Hey everyone,

My name is Dev and I'm currently on the Passfield Hall committee this year as Treasurer. If you have applied or are thinking of applying, or just have any questions in general, feel free to ask them here.

The mains things you need to know about Passfield:
Passfield hall is predominantly undergrad with literally a scattering if postgrads.
The school is a 20 minute walk away, but also accessible with a few buses that stop outside the hall and go directly to LSE.
Loads of amenities at your doorstep.
We have a free pool table, table football, virgin media (with sky sports) with 50" TV, PS3, board game in the common room.
Dinner is provided 6 nights of the week and brunch on a Saturday morning (ideal after a Friday night on the town), all of which are included in the fees.
Kitchens are shared and all of them have a fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster, kettle and loads of storage cupboards.
Laundry room with coin operated machines.
Toilets/showers are shared too, but are cleaned daily and never has there been a case where I've not had access to one.
The communal dinner daily is what gives Passfield it's social feel and is really like a big family.

Basically, it's the best place in LSE to stay!!!!
Reply 1
passfield hall logo SQUARE.png

Hi guys!

I'm Joel, the Passfield Hall Committee President. Dev's given you a run down of the basics, and its absolutely true! It's pretty much got everything you need, and the people are amazing. It's really more of a community or family than a hall (imagine having around 100 family members, and eating dinner with them every evening). Everyone takes care of each other too.

The area is fantastic. You are smack-bang in the middle of Bloomsbury, with its lovely gardens and shops. Transport could not be easier (though you don't need it to get to the LSE; it's 15 minutes at an I'm-late-for-class-pace). You have a very good and reasonably priced gym one minute round the corner, and there are a plethora of bars and pubs within quick walking distance.

The social and night-life of the hall is quite extraordinary. As well as the Committee organising many fantastic events and trips, people tend to go out a lot together at pretty much any time in the week.

You also get a lot of bang for your buck. This is the only hall that does 31 week contracts, and the rents are very reasonable. The food is actually pretty good too (Saturday brunch is such a lifesaver after a night out). Other halls pay much more, and don't even get food included in their rent.

Next to a great set of friends, you will have a very hard-working committee making sure you have the best time ever! We have five officers: President, Events Officer, Welfare Officer, Secretary, and Treasurer. Our record thus far speaks for itself. Apart from having run great events regularly throughout the year (glo-parties, friday night cocktails, random chocolate fountain nights, joint clubbing nights with other halls), we do a whole lot more. We discuss any issues which people bring to us (anyone can attend our meetings, and the minutes are sent out after each one), and represent residents' concerns effectively at all levels of administration. We have run a whole bunch of successful campaigns, such as getting Halal and Kosher food brought in, Cleaner Kitchens, LGBT awareness (Passfield is very LGBT-friendly, as is the LSE in general), and many more. Our welfare officer deals with any personal issues which residents may have, and keeps them completely confidential. The finances are completely transparent (as is everything else we do) and accounts are sent out to everyone fortnightly. All of us are very friendly and approachable, so you can send any of us an e-mail with any questions through the LSE-Passfield site.

Passfield is honestly the best place to be (and we had a lot of requests from people from other halls trying to come over throughout this year). If you're a fun-loving person who enjoys having loads of close friends, you will love Passfield.

If you have any questions at all, we would be only too happy to answer them! Just ask them here on this thread, or send me an e-mail on [email protected].
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Sorry to be pedantic, but Rosebery and Carr Saunders also have 31 week contracts :P
Hey guys, hopefully one of you can give me an answer to this, does this mean you can be on a 40 week contract at Passfield aswell? Other info I've seen appears to say only 31 week, but then others contradict this too. thanks in advance, an answer asap would be appreciated with the deadline so soon.
Reply 4
Original post by JamesMorehen
Hey guys, hopefully one of you can give me an answer to this, does this mean you can be on a 40 week contract at Passfield aswell? Other info I've seen appears to say only 31 week, but then others contradict this too. thanks in advance, an answer asap would be appreciated with the deadline so soon.

Hi James,

You can actually apply to stay for longer. The minimum is 31 weeks though, so you are not REQUIRED as such to stay for any longer by your contract. Hope this helps.

Joel
Thanks Joel, that's all I needed to know!
Reply 6
Hi there.

I've just been offered Passfield Hall-31 week let. I live in York, so i'd like to bring my car down, is that easy enough to do at Passfield Hall?
Reply 7
Original post by Jrosen
passfield hall logo SQUARE.png

Hi guys!

I'm Joel, the Passfield Hall Committee President. Dev's given you a run down of the basics, and its absolutely true! It's pretty much got everything you need, and the people are amazing. It's really more of a community or family than a hall (imagine having around 100 family members, and eating dinner with them every evening). Everyone takes care of each other too.

The area is fantastic. You are smack-bang in the middle of Bloomsbury, with its lovely gardens and shops. Transport could not be easier (though you don't need it to get to the LSE; it's 15 minutes at an I'm-late-for-class-pace). You have a very good and reasonably priced gym one minute round the corner, and there are a plethora of bars and pubs within quick walking distance.

The social and night-life of the hall is quite extraordinary. As well as the Committee organising many fantastic events and trips, people tend to go out a lot together at pretty much any time in the week.

You also get a lot of bang for your buck. This is the only hall that does 31 week contracts, and the rents are very reasonable. The food is actually pretty good too (Saturday brunch is such a lifesaver after a night out). Other halls pay much more, and don't even get food included in their rent.

Next to a great set of friends, you will have a very hard-working committee making sure you have the best time ever! We have five officers: President, Events Officer, Welfare Officer, Secretary, and Treasurer. Our record thus far speaks for itself. Apart from having run great events regularly throughout the year (glo-parties, friday night cocktails, random chocolate fountain nights, joint clubbing nights with other halls), we do a whole lot more. We discuss any issues which people bring to us (anyone can attend our meetings, and the minutes are sent out after each one), and represent residents' concerns effectively at all levels of administration. We have run a whole bunch of successful campaigns, such as getting Halal and Kosher food brought in, Cleaner Kitchens, LGBT awareness (Passfield is very LGBT-friendly, as is the LSE in general), and many more. Our welfare officer deals with any personal issues which residents may have, and keeps them completely confidential. The finances are completely transparent (as is everything else we do) and accounts are sent out to everyone fortnightly. All of us are very friendly and approachable, so you can send any of us an e-mail with any questions through the LSE-Passfield site.

Passfield is honestly the best place to be (and we had a lot of requests from people from other halls trying to come over throughout this year). If you're a fun-loving person who enjoys having loads of close friends, you will love Passfield.

If you have any questions at all, we would be only too happy to answer them! Just ask them here on this thread, or send me an e-mail on [email protected].

Hey Joel, since Passfield has a 31 week contract, do we get our rooms on the 30th of september?
dyou know when we can move in and when we must move out during the other term breaks like Christmas and Easter?

thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Saustrums
Hi there.

I've just been offered Passfield Hall-31 week let. I live in York, so i'd like to bring my car down, is that easy enough to do at Passfield Hall?

Hi!

Short answer: Very difficult to park. No parking facilities at hall, only drop-off option.
Suggested solution: Get parent/sibling/friend to drive down with you, who can then drive your car back to York.

Passfield Hall is located in Bloomsbury, in the heart of London. Unfortunately, there are barely any parking spaces around the hall, and you can only park temporarily to drop stuff off.

This has never really been an issue for people. Most people simply get a friend, parent, or sibling to drive their cars back. You just park temporarily right in front of the hall and drop off your stuff. It's nice to have someone to help you carry your stuff into your room too. This should only happen six times a year (if you don't opt to stay during the holidays). The upside to it all is that you pay much less for accommodation than at the majority of halls in London.

I live in Switzerland, so I don't even have the ability to drive my stuff over, but I have never really had a problem moving my stuff.

Hope this has helped, and give me a shout should something still be unclear.
Reply 9
Original post by YBR
Hey Joel, since Passfield has a 31 week contract, do we get our rooms on the 30th of september?
dyou know when we can move in and when we must move out during the other term breaks like Christmas and Easter?

thanks!

Hi there,

You should be notified sometime soon by the Passfield Hall Management about when you can move in. This will indeed most likely be on the 30th (usually about 3pm).

As a rule of thumb, you move in on the Sunday before your term starts, and move out on the Sunday when it ends. However, keep an eye out for instructions from Passfield Hall Management, as you will primarily need to follow their advice. This should only serve to let you know what usually happens, drawing on my own experience over the last year.

Keep in mind, you can apply to stay for holiday periods, extend your stay by a few days, or even turn up early at Passfield Hall. However, you need to contact the Management in good time.

If there should be any other questions you have, please do not hesitate to ask :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Jrosen
Hi there,

You should be notified sometime soon by the Passfield Hall Management about when you can move in. This will indeed most likely be on the 30th (usually about 3pm).

As a rule of thumb, you move in on the Sunday before your term starts, and move out on the Sunday when it ends. However, keep an eye out for instructions from Passfield Hall Management, as you will primarily need to follow their advice. This should only serve to let you know what usually happens, drawing on my own experience over the last year.

Keep in mind, you can apply to stay for holiday periods, extend your stay by a few days, or even turn up early at Passfield Hall. However, you need to contact the Management in good time.

If there should be any other questions you have, please do not hesitate to ask :smile:

thanks! (:

I heard that Passfield's the only hall where everyone takes dinner together. How are the meals like? (:
Reply 11
Original post by YBR
thanks! (:

I heard that Passfield's the only hall where everyone takes dinner together. How are the meals like? (:

Hi, I'm Tessa, the events officer at Passfield. From what I hear from my course friends, Pfield is the only hall where everyone regularly eats together. The food isn't amazing but it's edible(!) and can be nice. Also, there's always dessert, yogurts, salad etc. if they're having a really bad day cooking! However, dinner was always great for catching up with everyone and having a laugh/deciding the plan for that night so it's definitely a plus overall! (and it'll save you money)

If anyone's got anymore Qs, I'll be happy to take them! Passfield got a bit of a rep. this year for being the closest group and THE party hall (I'd like to think I had something to do with it :wink:...) so we're all going to have an amazing time! x
Reply 12
Original post by TessaLSE
Hi, I'm Tessa, the events officer at Passfield. From what I hear from my course friends, Pfield is the only hall where everyone regularly eats together. The food isn't amazing but it's edible(!) and can be nice. Also, there's always dessert, yogurts, salad etc. if they're having a really bad day cooking! However, dinner was always great for catching up with everyone and having a laugh/deciding the plan for that night so it's definitely a plus overall! (and it'll save you money)

If anyone's got anymore Qs, I'll be happy to take them! Passfield got a bit of a rep. this year for being the closest group and THE party hall (I'd like to think I had something to do with it :wink:...) so we're all going to have an amazing time! x

Dinner is the best time of the day. Just to give you an idea of what Passfield is like, people don't mind at all queuing for dinner because they can all catch up with each other after a long day (not that the queues are ever very long). It's got a real family feel. I personally really like the food, and I'm saying that as someone who has been restricted to the vegetarian option every day. We have a chef who is very strict on hygeine and on keeping to guidelines for dietary requirements (vegi, halal, kosher etc.).

Brunch on Saturday after a top night out is an absolute lifesaver; you get a huge fry up which can cure any hangover, and you can meet all your mates again and have a laugh about the night before.

And Tessa, our wonderful events officer, has had a lot to do with Passfield becoming THE party hall, and you will all find out why when you move in.
Reply 13
https://www.facebook.com/joel.rosen.10?ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/377633725628540/?notif_t=group_r2j

Join our Passfield Hall Group 2012-13 to meet your future fellow residents. This group will be the centre of all communications within the Passfield Community.

Quick Reply

Latest