Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Power lifting, body building and olympic lifting

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey keep hearing these terms just wandered could anyone explain the differences between them all? Especially olympic and power as i think i have more of an idea about body building.
    I am just starting stronglifts 5x5, whats that one?
    Also if you want say which you do and why you've chosen that particular one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are sports.

Powerlifting - squat, bench press, deadlift.
    Olympic lifting - snatch, clean and jerk.
    Bodybuilding - physique contest.

If you're not competing in any of the sports then the distinction becomes a bit more fuzzy and IMHO rather irrelevant.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginner's weightlifting routine to gain strength and size. It's none of the above three because it's not a sport.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    They are sports.

If you're not competing in any of the sports then the distinction becomes a bit more fuzzy and IMHO rather irrelevant.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginner's weightlifting routine to gain strength and size. It's none of the above three because it's not a sport.
    haha thanks never realised it was so simple as that. I had it as being something really complicated
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The internet is both the best and the worst place for getting information on this stuff!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as "olympic lifting", this is a misconception. It's just weightlifting.

Weightlifting = snatch, clean and jerk
    Powerlifting = squat, bench, dead
    Bodybuilding = building muscle to compete in figure
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The terms are interchangeable. And thank you for repeating what I'd already said.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    crossfit
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If we're agreed that "power" is actually the amount of strength that can be applied at speed, then a more appropriate name for "powerlifting" would be "strengthlifting" and such exercises as the power clean, squat clean, clean and jerk, and the snatch should be referred to as "powerlifts" since they actually involve an element of speed alongside the strength required (i.e. power). The lifts that "powerlifters" actually compete in is the squat, deadlift and bench press which do not require speed at all, as it doesn't really matter how fast the bar moves as long as they complete the rep.

Never really understood the name "Olympic Lifting". Olympics is a competition and not a sport, so this name is inappropriate. Sort of like saying you "do UFC" instead of saying you "do MMA".

And the debate in the lifting community between powerlifters and bodybuilders is a joke. Most professional powerlifters would be stage ready if they did an effective cut, and most professional bodybuilders could probably compete in powerlifting if they were in kcal surplus and relatively high bodyfat percentage. So in this respect you could say that the higher importance of strict diet is what makes bodybuilding slightly different from the other two sports.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Olympic lifting isn't really the name of a sport, it's just the name everyone uses for weightlifting.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    They are sports.

I have trouble accepting the idea that bodybuilding is a sport. Yes I know bodybuilders put in years of hard work and effort...but it just seems far too subjective.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    If we're agreed that "power" is actually the amount of strength that can be applied at speed, then a more appropriate name for "powerlifting" would be "strengthlifting" and such exercises as the power clean, squat clean, clean and jerk, and the snatch should be referred to as "powerlifts" since they actually involve an element of speed alongside the strength required (i.e. power). The lifts that "powerlifters" actually compete in is the squat, deadlift and bench press which do not require speed at all, as it doesn't really matter how fast the bar moves as long as they complete the rep.
    And those American "foot" ballers picking the ball up eh?! What are they like?

And how about that airline food?
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I have trouble accepting the idea that bodybuilding is a sport. Yes I know bodybuilders put in years of hard work and effort...but it just seems far too subjective.
    Who cares whether it's a sport or not? It's awesome and a worthwhile goal imo, that's all that matters.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    And those American "foot" ballers picking the ball up eh?! What are they like?

And how about that airline food?

Who cares whether it's a sport or not? It's awesome and a worthwhile goal imo, that's all that matters.
    What about them?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    There is no such thing as "olympic lifting", this is a misconception. It's just weightlifting.
    In general parlance, weightlifting just means any form of lifting weights for training purposes so "Olympic Lifting" is a convinient shorthand way of describing 'weightlifting focusing on the lifts as practiced in the weightlifting competition in the Olympic games'

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.