The Student Room Group

Realistically how much can your first house be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Property in the states is ridiculous, same with Ireland now - predictions are this in IRE the property prices will decrease 75% from 2008 value.
for example:
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=571734
Reply 21
In the UK you will struggle to get a mortgage for more than 4x income. Even at 4x income the rates won't be very good and the deposit will have to be at least 10%-15%. Plus the mortgage provider will want to see some evidence of job security which I'm assuming you won't be able to provide (what with it being your first job which i assume you haven't started yet), so that will make things even harder.

So assuming things are similar with regards to mortgages in the US (I have no idea if they are) with a $60k salary you could probably get a house worth about $270 with a $30k deposit.

Good luck getting the mortgage. Good look finding the deposit. Good luck getting the $60k job. Good luck getting into the US.

Australia is better anyway, less yanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
If you want a decent rate on a mortgage then you'll need 20% deposit minimum, you'll then be means tested. Rule of thumb what you can borrow on top of a deposit is 3x a single persons steady income or 2.5x a couples.

You'd be looking at 200k, maybe 250k if that was 60k a year over here and you had a 20% deposit, I don't know about america, rules may differ.

I'm budgeting £100-120k for my first place, it's going to take at least 3 years to save the deposit. People who rush into buying a house with a 100% or 90% mortgage are just, financially blind.
Theres good deals on cap and collar mortgages at the moment, I'd never go for a variable or tracker unless I was financially much better off or the economy was extremely stable with low interest rates. Either fixed or cap and collar if you're stretching your means to buy a house.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
We & my home owner peers have budgets £180-425,000.

Depends where & what you're buying - the lower end is South but outside of London commuting & the within London ranges from Zone 3 to 4 & from 2 bed flats to 4 bedroom houses.

& also on personal circumstances e.g. luck with £££s amassed for deposits or high salaries & (relatively) stable jobs.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Thanks for this info. Are you on a joint income? If so how much is that? Thanks! :smile:

I'm a student, my other half works in a bank doing credit risk. He earns 22k or so (He's a recent graduate) and we have about 10k in savings to go towards a deposit. Hopethat helps.
Reply 25
Original post by Beckyweck
I'm a student, my other half works in a bank doing credit risk. He earns 22k or so (He's a recent graduate) and we have about 10k in savings to go towards a deposit. Hopethat helps.

And you are 17? I can't remember all of the rules banks have, are 17-year olds taken into account on mortgage applications and can they even co-sign a mortgage? I had a feeling it was 18 but maybe it's 16?

£22K income isn't much even with £10K savings - what area of the country are you looking in? Assuming a 10% deposit (some lenders are doing that) and a 3.5 multiple (maybe you might get more some places) and if that's your only income, you can't buy anything more than, say, £90K and there aren't many properties as cheap as that anywhere in the British Isles.
Reply 26
Original post by Elles
We & my home owner peers have budgets £180-425,000.

Depends where & what you're buying - the lower end is South but outside of London commuting & the within London ranges from Zone 3 to 4 & from 2 bed flats to 4 bedroom houses.

& also on personal circumstances e.g. luck with £££s amassed for deposits or high salaries & (relatively) stable jobs.

And you are lucky puppies as students being able to buy £400K houses. :smile:
Reply 27
Brokers DO NOT always represent the seller. If you are a buyer go ahead and get representation from an agent, they are working for YOU if YOU are the one that hires them. Dual Agency is when the agent represents the buyer and seller in one transaction, but this has to be agreed upon by both parties to happen. If you encounter this and are uncomfortable with being in a Duel Agency relationship with your agent, just ask to be represented by a different agent. It wont hurt their feelings and they will be fine with it...

Regards
Reply 28
Original post by zara55
And you are lucky puppies as students being able to buy £400K houses. :smile:

Whoops, probably should've specified that we are 2-6 years post graduation now.

I'm transitioning from the student room to more age appropriate ones :redface: - but there's a community of graduates in my subforum! :tongue:
Original post by zara55
And you are 17? I can't remember all of the rules banks have, are 17-year olds taken into account on mortgage applications and can they even co-sign a mortgage? I had a feeling it was 18 but maybe it's 16?

£22K income isn't much even with £10K savings - what area of the country are you looking in? Assuming a 10% deposit (some lenders are doing that) and a 3.5 multiple (maybe you might get more some places) and if that's your only income, you can't buy anything more than, say, £90K and there aren't many properties as cheap as that anywhere in the British Isles.

I'm nearly 21, what made you think I was 17? I have done my research and we've actually found a lovely, nicely presented house for 100k. I live in the North which is considerably cheaper than for example London. There are a LOT of houses for less than 100k if you look hard enough, I've found plenty, I just didn't want them. There was another we looked at for 85K on a nice little cul de sac (just outside the city centre too so not miles out). 22k with 4x mortgage, and there are the nice little perks for working at the bank too, like something like 2% interest not 4.3 or whatever it is. I'm not dealing with the finance, and I'm pretty sure it was 5% deposit. Are you deliberately trying to rain on my parade? :P
Reply 30
Original post by Beckyweck
I'm nearly 21, what made you think I was 17? I have done my research and we've actually found a lovely, nicely presented house for 100k. I live in the North which is considerably cheaper than for example London. There are a LOT of houses for less than 100k if you look hard enough, I've found plenty, I just didn't want them. There was another we looked at for 85K on a nice little cul de sac (just outside the city centre too so not miles out). 22k with 4x mortgage, and there are the nice little perks for working at the bank too, like something like 2% interest not 4.3 or whatever it is. I'm not dealing with the finance, and I'm pretty sure it was 5% deposit. Are you deliberately trying to rain on my parade? :P

No, I got you confused with OP, sorry! I am surprised you can find a good house for that price, which area is it in?
Leeds and the surrounding area. Some of them were naff and I wouldn't ever contemplate going there. xD But the 85K one was really lovely and the only reason we didn't take it was fear that we wouldn't be able to sell it on because a bit further into the post code "zone" had a bad reputation which was a terrible shame. I really wanted it as well but since 2 beds wouldn't last forever we have to be able to sell it on again. The 100k one is in a nice area and the crime stats are good so we're going to see it. I can't decide if it's too good to be true or whether the people just need to get out quickly because they have another place or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending