The Student Room Group

Would you go to a party where you didn't know anyone?

I'm on a gap year and staying in Paris for about 6 weeks. The people I'm staying with have a daughter a few years older than me and she and her friends are having a party downstairs (starting soon!) I've been invited to join them if I like, but I reckon it'll be a bit awkward 1) because my french is pas tres bien and number 2) because its a bit awkward isn't it? Parisian teenagers speak fast as hell and the girls... well, the ones I've met here so far are all about 6foot, thin and gorgeous.
But if I don't go will I be throwing away a good opportunity to practise french and meet people? What would you do and what would you advise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's always that one person at a party no one knows. That person could be you.
Reply 2
Original post by ThaChronic
There's always that one person at a party no one knows. That person could be you.

Ah, so much to aspire to...
Go, should be fun.
Reply 4
Yes of course you should go! It's a good opportunity to meet new people and practice french. If it gets too awkward you can always just leave, or start drinking! Go and gave some fun :smile:
Reply 5
hell why not itll be an experience and if what you say is true itll be full of smokin' parisian ladies 'best lovers in the world' and all that :colone:
I wouldn't; I'd hate it!! But then, I am somewhat renowned for being an anti-sociable bugger!!
I'd say go. You could make some new friends, and there might be someone there in your situation! One of the best parties I've ever been to is one where I knew very few people there, because I met loads of new people.
Its downstairs! If you hate it...you can just leave!
Reply 9
Tbh I'm more worried about the language barrier than the not knowing people...
Reply 10
dress up with a striped t-shirt, keep saying oue to everything and drink enough booze so your inability to communicate will be put down to alcohol. u mite get lucky u never know..
If I'm abroad, I will definitely go because of the experience and of course, to meet new people.

Back home, not too sure..
If you want to go, why not? You'll be the 'exotic' person from a different country, so people will probably be interested in talking to you! And I'm sure they'll speak slowly etc. if they know French isn't your first language :smile:

If you're nervous, just have a couple of drinks, that usually helps! Just make sure you don't get too drunk, you don't want to be that one person who no one knows and then pukes all over the place... :emo:

Edit - plus, if this party is actually in the house where you're staying, you can always just check it out and if it's too awkward disappear upstairs! Nothing to lose really :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I was at a party once where there was this French girl who couldn't really speak much English. The guy she'd come along with knew some French but he buggered off for most of the night leaving her on her own. It didn't even matter in the end, the language barrier collapsed when we all got so pissed that we could barely communicate with each other anyway.

So yeah, you should go.
Original post by cl_steele
hell why not itll be an experience and if what you say is true itll be full of smokin' parisian ladies 'best lovers in the world' and all that :colone:

It's not all its cracked up to be unless you like your kisses to taste of cigarettes, coffee and garlic..disapointing :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by Twixwrapper
It's not all its cracked up to be unless you like your kisses to taste of cigarettes, coffee and garlic..disapointing :frown:

im sure if OP knocks back enough Stella or Kronenberg it wont matter :wink:
Reply 16
Yeah go for it, nothing to lose. If you don't like it you can always leave. May as well check to make sure you're not missing out on something. :smile:
Reply 17
If it gets awkward; drink. If it doesn't... drink less. You should go though. You'll feel like a right retard sitting upstairs twiddling your thumbs when there's a party downstairs full of gorgeous Parisian girls.
Reply 18
Make it clear to them your french is poor. Have fun with it, say some ridiculous statements in French and just make them laugh. If you can make them laugh within a few minutes of meeting them you'll be fine if their English isn't that great.

And like everyone else suggests, drink and play charades.
How kind of them to invite you, accept their invitation and just remember no jokes about Nicolas Sarkozy's height.

Quick Reply

Latest