The Student Room Group

How to pass your exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Firstly, I worked at Innocent drinks for a while during uni, great company to work for. I use them as case studies for pretty much everything in my business classes.

Secondly, some high risk strategies about on here lol. 2 nights before is not a perfect strategy, but it is stronger than "improvise".

Smack has some good advice for some people. However, for some people an early night would be beneficial and some ppeople should not look through things right before the exam as it will just panic them. But, for some, it is a good idea. It all depends on your style!

Any the tips for during the exams?
Reply 21
Original post by Smack
Make sure you're prepared. Rather than learning and understanding the subject you should instead learn how to answer the exam paper. There will be "model" ways to answer each question which your teacher will likely go over with you; answering in this manner saves time since you're not writing down crap that isn't getting you marks, and also won't miss any marks either.

Sleep the night before an exam is overrated. It's far better to stay up cramming and rote learning if you have to than make sure you get a perfect sleep - chances are you won't anyway, so why bother?

Get up early for the exam so that you can go over everything you've memorised again just to make sure that you've not forgotten it.

Remember, exams are a memory test and nothing more. The sooner you release this despite however much you may feel that it's wrong, the sooner your grades will increase whilst your effort spent obtaining them decreases.

Not all of them are a memory test. I always memorise all my notes, and although it's really helpful for biology, a lot of the time it's pretty pointless in chemistry and definitely a waste of time in maths (obviously). Chemistry you always need to apply your knowledge, so imo for that (understanding > memorisation) x 1000.
Reply 22
I think it's important to pace yourself right in the exam. Don't try and fly through the paper, because chances are that you make loads of stupid mistakes, but then you don't want to go so slow that you don't finish. Go at a moderate pace, and think through each question carefully. And try to make sure you have at least 10-15 minutes at the end to quickly go through your answers to make sure you haven't made any stupid mistakes.

Oh, and always READ THE QUESTION.
Reply 23
Pace is a key one and the only way you will get the pace right is from lots of practice of past papers. Which is why starting revision two days before the exam is risky, doesn't give you much time to get a lot of practice in. Although, hopefully you get practice time in lessons as well.
Original post by ummm
Not all of them are a memory test.

I think that the more exams you sit the more you'll realise they are. You can easily rote learn your way through maths - that's exactly what my school did, and had some of the strongest maths results in the entire area when I was there.
If I fail, I'm going to find you and cut you :h:
Original post by Smack
I think that the more exams you sit the more you'll realise they are. You can easily rote learn your way through maths - that's exactly what my school did, and had some of the strongest maths results in the entire area when I was there.

Explain how Ethics is a memory test.
Reply 27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNONKNUaIs&feature=plcp

I think there is an argument that a lot of exams are memory tests. But equally, most exams reuire very specific skills (e.g analysis, application, evaluation) which although can be quite mechanic, are more than just a memory test.

Any other advice people have for each other on how to rinse the exams this summer?
My tip:
Do past papers, LOTS OF THEM.

1) Do past paper
2) Mark past paper (If there are things you don't understand then look the up)
3) Do the same paper again
4) Mark it again
5) repeat until you're getting > 90%.
6) Repeat steps 1-5 with several past papers
7) Achieve high A's in the actual exams :wink: (Exam technique > textbook knowledge)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Haha love the video :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by Darkphilosopher
My tip:
Do past papers, LOTS OF THEM.

1) Do past paper
2) Mark past paper (If there are things you don't understand then look the up)
3) Do the same paper again
4) Mark it again
5) repeat until you're getting > 90%.
6) Repeat steps 1-5 with several past papers
7) Achieve high A's in the actual exams :wink: (Exam technique > textbook knowledge)

omg you're the best thankyouuuuu does this method work for you? is this how you get A's..omg you're a lifesaver - you're saving my life in just 7 steps :P
Original post by bahjat93
I tend to do my revision 2 night b4 my exam :biggrin:.
Any1 else do this?

me :colone:
Original post by Raj K
omg you're the best thankyouuuuu does this method work for you? is this how you get A's..omg you're a lifesaver - you're saving my life in just 7 steps :P

Well, it got BDEU to AAAA :wink: (In resits) I'm hoping it'll do the same for me over the next few weeks as well :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by JordanS94
me :colone:

How has that been working out for you?
Original post by Ilyas
Drink a fruit smoothie by the innocent brand. It really relaxes you and and completely refreshes the mind. It is 100% squashed fruit with nothing else added.

Not to mention it tastes absolutely fantastic. A cup is equivalent to 2 of your 5 a day.

I smell a salesperson.

Get your piano tuned by Keith Barrett Piano Tuning And Repairs, it totally relaxes you and gives you piece of mind, having a nicely tuned piano. It is 100% my family business with no-one else added.

Not to mention it puts food on my table.

Also, according the the NHS, only one of your five a day can come in liquid form. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Whatcounts.aspx

In all srsness though, revision is how you pass your exams. End of.
Reply 35
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Well, it got BDEU to AAAA :wink: (In resits) I'm hoping it'll do the same for me over the next few weeks as well :biggrin:

really??!!! :O thanks for the advise U ARE THE BEST. ..but erm so do you keep doing them over and over again until you get A..is a month enough time maynnn i panic so much );
Original post by bahjat93
How has that been working out for you?

last year it did :lol: in my exams I got 4A's 1B and a very high C :lol: but then there was computing which I did no revision and no work for and got an E... we'll just ignore that :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
wing it llf
Original post by Raj K
looool yeahhh almonds..apparently they increase neurotransmitters in the brain haha

Kiwis are where it's at
Reply 39
Original post by thetobbit
Kiwis are where it's at

really? what;s in them that's good for the brain..why not other fruit? lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending