Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A levels VS BTEC (in this thread as people going uni more likely to know)

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are A levels better than BTEC. I'm doing all this hard work revising all the time with a levels my friend does BTEC and is always out. If this is the case than i would of thought A levels would have more of an advantage but this doesnt seem to be the case.
    So what i am actually trying to ask: What are the advantages to doing A level than BTEC

To be specific to me:In year 1 and will likely to be doing business management. My friend is in year 2 and has got into uni to do bussiness management
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think A-Levels would be seen as more academic to some universities, plus you have the oppurtunity to do a diverse range of subjects.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends on uni however I did AS Levels and BTEC and I much preferred the BTEC but that's possibly because it was in my subject area whereas my AS Levels were quite irrelevant to me.

I also loved not having exams which I now have to do at uni. Boo!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    VCE A Levels, Applied A Levels, GNVQs and/or BTECs are not an ideal preparation for most Cambridge courses, where the emphasis is more academic than vocational.
    Quoted from http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...uirements/#vce

So if you're aiming for Cambridge, you have a better chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most top universities do favour A-levels over BTECs. If you do a BTEC you are committed to doing one subject area at university, but if you do A-Levels, you have the choice of 2 or 3 different subject areas, depending on your a level subjects.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RubberDUB)
    Most top universities do favour A-levels over BTECs. If you do a BTEC you are committed to doing one subject area at university, but if you do A-Levels, you have the choice of 2 or 3 different subject areas, depending on your a level subjects.
    To say you have to follow on your subject from BTEC through to university is simply false.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.