Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F1 refueling?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do F1 cars refuel between Qualifying 3 (Q3) and the race, or do the top 10 qualify on race fuel? I couldn't find the answer anywhere.:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At the moment they do. From 2003, final qualifying was run with race fuel, but since in-race refuelling was (re-)banned for 2010 they run feather-light in Q3 and fuel for the whole race afterwards.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJC)
    Do F1 cars refuel between Qualifying 3 (Q3) and the race, or do the top 10 qualify on race fuel? I couldn't find the answer anywhere.:confused:
    Hope so... if not it'll be a very short race!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJC)
    I think yesterday's qualifying chaos might have answered that one

But seriously yeah they refuel, I think back in the days of in race refuelling they qualified on their starting fuel? That's just a vague memory to be honest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maynia)
    At the moment they do. From 2003, final qualifying was run with race fuel, but since in-race refuelling was (re-)banned for 2010 they run feather-light in Q3 and fuel for the whole race afterwards.
    Ok thanks for clearing that up, I take it http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ru.../7220/fia.html is outdated then, it confused me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's out of date. This is reg 29 from the 2012 sporting regulations, in its entirety:

29) REFUELLING
    29.1 a) Refuelling is only permitted in the team’s designated garages.
    b) No car may be refuelled after it has left the pit lane to start the first reconnaissance lap permitted under Article 38.1.
    c) Fuel may not be added to nor removed from a car during a race.

29.2 No car may be refuelled, nor may fuel be removed from a car, at a rate greater than 0.8 litres per second.

29.3 The driver may remain in his car throughout refuelling but the engine must be stopped.

29.4 Each competitor must ensure that an assistant equipped with a suitable fire extinguisher of adequate capacity is beside the car throughout all refuelling operations.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered motorsport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.