Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I copy people

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very happy with myself, I'm not a brilliant person. Does anybody else do this? I try not too, but I still end up doing it, often without realizing it and then as soon as I do I stop it. It's stupid. What can I do to stop it more effectively?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We all copy the traits of others. :confused: Do you copy multiple people or a single person, and to what extent do you imitate them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? Are you mimicking people as a way to make fun of them? Or do you mean not being yourself and acting like others because that's how you think you ought to act publicly?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    you are sooo a brilliant person. everyone is. it's cool when you think about it, everyone's like completely the same and completely different at the same time.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    We all do it to some extent, as long as U don't completely mirror one person-that would be really creepy- it's ok.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    We all copy the traits of others. :confused: Do you copy multiple people or a single person, and to what extent do you imitate them?

(Original post by Summer In The City)
    What do you mean? Are you mimicking people as a way to make fun of them? Or do you mean not being yourself and acting like others because that's how you think you ought to act publicly?
    Just little things, of multiple people, who ever I admire I guess. I just find my self speaking slightly differently or walking a little differently or adopting a slightly different attitude. In the past this girl started randomly talking about this woman, who was friends with her Mum and had no personality of her own, so "stole" her Mothers personality. I think she might have been trying to say something to me! I'm not sure why I do it, somebody else once told me that I never fit in- in a jokerly nice kind of a way, she was a friend. But I never do! (fit in). I think I might be trying to fit in. It's really awkward though because as I realize that I'm "doing it again" who ever I'm imitating usually simultaneously realizes it too- and there's this really awkward moment. I want to stop that from happening. Would you accept it? If you knew me, would you just see it as an idiosyncrasy? Or would you get really freaked out? Is it really creepy?(from somebody else's point of view) Thank you, by the way, if ya reply.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arghhhh)
    x
    To me, it'd be freaky to have this ever-evolving, if you like, person. Just be yourself (I know it sounds awfully cliched) and try to stop feeling under pressure to change who you are to "fit in"

Be accepted for who you are as opposed to someone who you have created. It'll feel much better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damilola)
    We all do it to some extent, as long as U don't completely mirror one person-that would be really creepy- it's ok.
    Cool
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just little things, of multiple people, who ever I admire I guess. I just find my self speaking slightly differently or walking a little differently or adopting a slightly different attitude. In the past this girl started randomly talking about this woman, who was friends with her Mum and had no personality of her own, so "stole" her Mothers personality. I think she might have been trying to say something to me! I'm not sure why I do it, somebody else once told me that I never fit in- in a jokerly nice kind of a way, she was a friend. But I never do! (fit in). I think I might be trying to fit in. It's really awkward though because as I realize that I'm "doing it again" who ever I'm imitating usually simultaneously realizes it too- and there's this really awkward moment. I want to stop that from happening. Would you accept it? If you knew me, would you just see it as an idiosyncrasy? Or would you get really freaked out? Is it really creepy?(from somebody else's point of view) Thank you, by the way, if ya reply.
    Yeah, I would just treat it as an idiosyncrasy, which means your personality is a unique combination of the traits you have adopted from other people + whatever you were like prior to the acquisition of those traits (which applies to everyone). I don't think I'd be bothered, as long as it wasn't done in a malicious way; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

Very few people act in exactly the same way in every social situation—they tend to modify their behaviour (even if slightly) to better appeal to the other parties in the social group at any given moment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have inherent qualities that define us but our identities are very much influenced by the people around us. We learn how to act in specific scenarios from mimicking behaviour like how to act in a restaurant or how to communicate amonst a group of peers. I think you shouldn't let go of your true self but knowing who you are is difficult in itself and often comes with years of experience. I suspect most people have felt lost at stages in the lives, but the trick in discovering good qualities about yourself. Don't think you arn't brilliant , you have the capacity to be brilliant and the fact that you are questioning your own behaviour in terms of good and bad, I'm sure you are a great person and needn't worry ! I can totally relate to you by the way, it's such a common feeling. In my instance it would be that I am too worried about how others would view me and so act in a way that I feel is appropriate and will make me fit in. We have many identities that we present in different scenarios. In the work place you might be more inhibted but at home you might be more relaxed and vocal. The trick with myself was to understand that firstly, people arn't constantly analysing you, so act yourself. Don't try to get into the heads of others and see yourself from their point of view, again, be yourself! Some people are the complete opposite and they need to learn to empathise. You do empathise , just learn to be more confident in who you are. If you do get in the habit of copying people this will seem odd and eventually people will stay away - not because you are bad, but who wants to be around someone who doesn't show a bit of personality. Everyon is attracted to individuality, so it is important to have a happy medium. Don't worry about what others think of you if you do :P. Also remember that you can't please everyone either! So most people will be warm towards your personality, but those who arn't-it's their problem! (Haha long post, sorry!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bey Taco)
    We all pick up (or copy) the way people around us act if we spend long enough time around them. You seem like you pick things up faster and so the drastic change obviously surprises people. Stop threating about it. Just 'try' to maintain cool and normal about it, if you appear insecure about it people will assume you are doing it on purpose.

It could be worse. My sister picks up dialects really fast so, she might go into a store to ask about something for example, say the person has a scottish accent, she would start to immitate them. It gets really embarrasing and awkward because she tries to hide it by speaking in a really high pitched voice

She has stopped trying, now she just looks like she wants to break down and cry.
    I know someone who does this :P. I think it started because they wanted to fit in. Then it turns into a habit and they dont even realise they are mimicking accents until someone points this out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    To me, it'd be freaky to have this ever-evolving, if you like, person. Just be yourself (I know it sounds awfully cliched) and try to stop feeling under pressure to change who you are to "fit in"

Be accepted for who you are as opposed to someone who you have created. It'll feel much better.
    Lol "ever-evolving" I'll try, I guess if I don't like something about myself I should try to do things differently but decide on it myself and make it my decision, rather than just copying people. Thanks for the advise, I'll definitely be using it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very happy with myself, I'm not a brilliant person. Does anybody else do this? I try not too, but I still end up doing it, often without realizing it and then as soon as I do I stop it. It's stupid. What can I do to stop it more effectively?
    People copy people. That's the basis of learned behaviour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyway I wouldn't think you were odd if you were mimicking. Maybe that is just you. Im sure a lot of the actors and actresses on television do this. You could pursue a career in acting!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can they stop doing it immediately after realising or does it take them a while because it can take ages for the accent to wear off if it is strong enough. Imagine coming home to a different accent everyday.

Storyofmylife#
    Hmm, I'm not sure if it's quite the same. He is English, but say he went into a restaurant in Scotland and the waiter comes up for the order. he puts on a scottish accent. Not jokingly either, I think because he wants them to think he is one their own. He is quite a theatrical character when he wants to be and good with accents. But won't be changing his accent at home say, and no it doesn't take a long time to wear off. Why, what happens in your scenario?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think it is not a bad thing to copy other people's traits , as long as these traits are good ones and to be considered as somesort of self-help or emproving your character
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have inherent qualities that define us but our identities are very much influenced by the people around us. We learn how to act in specific scenarios from mimicking behaviour like how to act in a restaurant or how to communicate amonst a group of peers. I think you shouldn't let go of your true self but knowing who you are is difficult in itself and often comes with years of experience. I suspect most people have felt lost at stages in the lives, but the trick in discovering good qualities about yourself. Don't think you arn't brilliant , you have the capacity to be brilliant and the fact that you are questioning your own behaviour in terms of good and bad, I'm sure you are a great person and needn't worry ! I can totally relate to you by the way, it's such a common feeling. In my instance it would be that I am too worried about how others would view me and so act in a way that I feel is appropriate and will make me fit in. We have many identities that we present in different scenarios. In the work place you might be more inhibted but at home you might be more relaxed and vocal. The trick with myself was to understand that firstly, people arn't constantly analysing you, so act yourself. Don't try to get into the heads of others and see yourself from their point of view, again, be yourself! Some people are the complete opposite and they need to learn to empathise. You do empathise , just learn to be more confident in who you are. If you do get in the habit of copying people this will seem odd and eventually people will stay away - not because you are bad, but who wants to be around someone who doesn't show a bit of personality. Everyon is attracted to individuality, so it is important to have a happy medium. Don't worry about what others think of you if you do :P. Also remember that you can't please everyone either! So most people will be warm towards your personality, but those who arn't-it's their problem! (Haha long post, sorry!)
    Thank you for such a long and lovely post, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I think mine was pretty long to start with-So don't worry. But thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same sort of thing but she cant stop doing even if she realises and continues to do it if she conversation roles on. She gets back to normal when she turns to speak to you again :confused:
    It's really quite odd :P. I might have to do some research into it now, after exams though!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for such a long and lovely post, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I think mine was pretty long to start with-So don't worry. But thanks.
    Haha no worries
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha no worries
    Cool, cool.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.