Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NEWBIE: Proteins for muscle mass/weight gain, help please. :)

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am doing bodyweight exercises for some weeks now and I would like to know about proteins for increasing muscle mass or/and gaining weight.

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kudos on starting with bodyweight training, a lot of people start with weights and have no idea about their core strength etc...

With regards to building muscle, I would suggest u to move gradually onto resistance training using weights to build mass.. Get a good workout regime which are available on all bodybuilding forums and in fitness mags. Starting with the compound lifts such as deadlift, bench press, military and pull ups is a good starting point. Secondly before taking protein shakes i suggest calculating the amount of calories u will need to put on mass (have a goal of how much muscle u want to put on) and clean ur diet up.

As for proteins, do u mean in terms of supplements or protein sources from natural?

For natural sources of protein in ur diet:eggs, fish, poultry, beef, lamb, milk, cottage cheese

Try just using natural sources of protein and if u need, then move to supplements as protein shakes are not a necessity, having a clean diet and efficient workout regime is important.

In terms of supplements: Whey isolate is the highest biological value protein followed by whey concentrate. Brands such as Isoflex, Syntrax Nectar, PhD Whey, Reflex Instant Whey are good as far as my opinion goes

Whey and casein blends are becoming quite popular. Brands such as Gaspari Myofusion

Mass gainers have a mix of whey,casein,egg albumin, carbs and fats. Watch out as a lot of them have very bad quality proteins such as soy, uncomplete casein, etc and also have crappy carbs and fillers.
    Good quality gainers such as Cytosport cytogainer, USN anabolic mass, maximuscle progain (if u can afford it lol)

The weirdest supplement i've seen is the one Kai Green is endorsed by the Carivore Protein which is beef protein isolate... and it comes in raspberry flavour which is disturbing lol

Take home message is do some google-ing to find out more, read reviews, read articles about fitness, know ur basic human biology and metabolism, some people just buy into a hype without understanding anything about the product
    Hope this helps
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure protein shakes are not a good option if you have time to eat natural protein. The extra useless protein you'd get from the shakes are bad for your liver.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElixirOfLife.)
    I'm sure protein shakes are not a good option if you have time to eat natural protein. The extra useless protein you'd get from the shakes are bad for your liver.
    Please go.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to see we have a BroScientist freshly graduated out of the University of Misinformation and Strong Bro Science.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    It's nice to see we have a BroScientist freshly graduated out of the University of Misinformation and Strong Bro Science.
    This

Phags gon phag
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    reflex whey Isnt bad mint choc protein mhm. I haven't used it due to working out stopped due to exams.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Please excuse me a second *leaves room* bwhahahahahahahahahahaha *re-enters* No.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're saying whey protein, derived from milk, is "bad for your liver".

Top class logic.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all. Most appreciated. And im BroProfessor you nub.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAlexander91)

Top class logic.
    There are plenty of people on TSR who think whey is some form of steroid, it can be a strange place.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    There are plenty of people on TSR who think whey is some form of steroid, it can be a strange place.
    They're right though, you've got to be careful about the protein-rage.....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Top class logic.
    Did you see the words ''Whey protein'' in my previous text. I think not. I recall writing ''Protein shakes''. Are you saying it's pure milk whey?? Somehow i find that hard to believe. Are you telling me there is not one synthesised chemical present in a protein shake? Your liver processes such chemicals and excessive 'processing' of harmful chemicals such as alcohol/drugs/and chemicals in general can cause long term liver damage. So yes, excessive consumption of protien shakes is bad for your liver. And for all of you who dont believe me, has it not occured to you that this is what is known as business? Companies will go to great lenghts to sell you things you dont need (protein shakes in this case) so they can make money of gullible people such as yourselves. Naive peoples. I rest my case.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you see the words ''Whey protein'' in my previous text. I think not. I recall writing ''Protein shakes''. Are you saying it's pure milk whey?? Somehow i find that hard to believe. Are you telling me there is not one synthesised chemical present in a protein shake? Your liver processes such chemicals and excessive 'processing' of harmful chemicals such as alcohol/drugs/and chemicals in general can cause long term liver damage. So yes, excessive consumption of protien shakes is bad for your liver. And for all of you who dont believe me, has it not occured to you that this is what is known as business? Companies will go to great lenghts to sell you things you dont need (protein shakes in this case) so they can make money of gullible people such as yourselves. Naive peoples. I rest my case.
    PROM(neg)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    bolding things, and not citing any evidence, thenending on 'irest my case' doesnt make you seem intelligent. it certainly doesnt show you are correct. all it shows is you don't know how to make a case.

ingredients
    whey isolate, glutamine peptides, flavorings, sucralose.

do you need whey? no if you have time and alot of money. whey is a cheap fast alternative. it is fast acting and is highly bioavailable.

why would something chemically identical to something made in nature but worse for you if it is made in a lab?

anywhoo

OP get on a proper routine. there are no legal supliments out there that will make a noticeable difference, they will have a cumulative effect, but u wont see anything. consistancy, a good routine and a good diet are what you need.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sconter)
    bolding things, and not citing any evidence, thenending on 'irest my case' doesnt make you seem intelligent. it certainly doesnt show you are correct. all it shows is you don't know how to make a case.

ingredients
    whey isolate, glutamine peptides, flavorings, sucralose.

do you need whey? no if you have time and alot of money. whey is a cheap fast alternative. it is fast acting and is highly bioavailable.

why would something chemically identical to something made in nature but worse for you if it is made in a lab?

Hah. I like how you analysed my speech style, tried to debase me as a person (which failed im sorry to inform you) and then accused me of not producing evidence etc. and then not ''citing any evidence'' yourself. And I must tell you that I dont need to go on forums to make myself seem intelligent, I dont know what sort of insecure person you are.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hah. I like how you analysed my speech style, tried to debase me as a person (which failed im sorry to inform you) and then accused me of not producing evidence etc. and then not ''citing any evidence'' yourself. And I must tell you that I dont need to go on forums to make myself seem intelligent, I dont know what sort of insecure person you are.
    wut?

you are making a claim, you have to be able to back it up. i am not making any claim so i dont need evidence.

i am tempted to respond to your other ****, but i dont have the time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not wanting to start a fight, you're just arguing about something you clearly have little to no knowledge to back your claims up.

"A whey protein isolate (often whey isolate) is a dietary supplement created by filtering milk protein. Whey is a by-product of the cheese-making process. Whey protein can be processed in three ways to yield highly bioavailabile protein: as whey isolate, whey concentrate, and hydrolysate form.

Whey proteins are highly bioavailable, are very quickly absorbed into the body, and have a high concentration of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) [1] which are highly concentrated in muscle tissue, and are used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis.[2]
    ".

Its literally just a part of milk. You should probably read up on this stuff if you're going to rant.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not wanting to start a fight, you're just arguing about something you clearly have little to no knowledge to back your claims up.

"A whey protein isolate (often whey isolate) is a dietary supplement created by filtering milk protein. Whey is a by-product of the cheese-making process. Whey protein can be processed in three ways to yield highly bioavailabile protein: as whey isolate, whey concentrate, and hydrolysate form.

Whey proteins are highly bioavailable, are very quickly absorbed into the body, and have a high concentration of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) [1] which are highly concentrated in muscle tissue, and are used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis.[2]
    ".

Its literally just a part of milk. You should probably read up on this stuff if you're going to rant.
    The argument that protein shakes are made with natural ingredients are a moot point, as many products made with natural ingredients are harmful to human beings. Potassium cyanide can be harvested from wild almonds, and stating that it has ‘all natural ingredients’ will do little to reduce its toxicity. The most popular protein shakes are made with whey or casein which are both milk derivatives, but although they exist in milk, they do not exist naturally in isolation without the presence of other nutrients- a factor we are learning to be critical in the way the body digests micro and macro nutrients. An excellent example would be vitamin supplements. You can take the most expensive vitamin tablet to ensure your intake of essential vitamins and minerals, but because the many other chemical compounds naturally present in meats, grains, fruit or vegetables are absent, our bodies simply cannot absorb the vitamins as efficiently.
    This effectively destroys your ''its natural blah blah'' argument. And yes, I have read up, dont insult my intelligence please.
    Liver damage. Full Stop.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The argument that protein shakes are made with natural ingredients are a moot point, as many products made with natural ingredients are harmful to human beings. Potassium cyanide can be harvested from wild almonds, and stating that it has ‘all natural ingredients’ will do little to reduce its toxicity. The most popular protein shakes are made with whey or casein which are both milk derivatives, but although they exist in milk, they do not exist naturally in isolation without the presence of other nutrients- a factor we are learning to be critical in the way the body digests micro and macro nutrients. An excellent example would be vitamin supplements. You can take the most expensive vitamin tablet to ensure your intake of essential vitamins and minerals, but because the many other chemical compounds naturally present in meats, grains, fruit or vegetables are absent, our bodies simply cannot absorb the vitamins as efficiently.
    This effectively destroys your ''its natural blah blah'' argument. And yes, I have read up, dont insult my intelligence please.
    Liver damage. Full Stop.
    Go post in the vegan thread

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.