Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Key cause of ww2

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hello!
    so i just wanting to hear your views of key causes of World War 2.
    I believe it was partially the League of Nations, Britian and France's self interest in the league, however a key factor the wall street crash.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starienight)
    hello!
    so i just wanting to hear your views of key causes of World War 2.
    I believe it was partially the League of Nations, Britian and France's self interest in the league, however a key factor the wall street crash.
    undoubtedly the key cause/trigger of WW2 was the 1939 Nazi invasion of Poland, which resulted in Britain and France declaring war on Germany. Although the key factor which led to Hitler gaining power was that the German people saw the Treaty of Versailles as unfair. Then you factor in Hitler taking back the lands that were taken from the germans after WW1, and all that shiz.

But my main belief is that Neville Chamberlain's weakness, and failing to reconise Hitlers intentions at a early stage led to a much larger scale war than neccessary.

I don't see the wall street crash to be a contributing factor to the war tbh, but the league of nations being powerless did contribute.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfinney94)
    undoubtedly the key cause/trigger of WW2 was the 1939 Nazi invasion of Poland, which resulted in Britain and France declaring war on Germany. Although the key factor which led to Hitler gaining power was that the German people saw the Treaty of Versailles as unfair. Then you factor in Hitler taking back the lands that were taken from the germans after WW1, and all that shiz.

But my main belief is that Neville Chamberlain's weakness, and failing to reconise Hitlers intentions at a early stage led to a much larger scale war than neccessary.

I don't see the wall street crash to be a contributing factor to the war tbh, but the league of nations being powerless did contribute.
    I like your points.
    I said the wall street crash because it affected the econemy all over the world. Britian didn't want to cripple Germany completly because we still wanted to trade for a bit.
    :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I honestly think there are four main causes...

1) Hitler's Foreign Policy
    2) League of Nations
    3) Appeasement policies of Britain
    4) Effects of the Great Depression
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like your points.
    I said the wall street crash because it affected the econemy all over the world. Britian didn't want to cripple Germany completly because we still wanted to trade for a bit.
    Well also we didn't want to completely kill off Germany because we believed a stronger Germany could help fight communism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The situation was created by WW1. War creates more war.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Invasion of Poland by Germany.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I like your points.
    Yeah the wall street crash was a pretty big factor - mostly because it allowed the Nazi party to get into power in the first place through 'democratic' means by promising economic improvement when German people were so desperate. He promised things such as employment programmes e.g. road building. This gained them votes in the Reinstag is it?

And then once they had a majority Hitler was able to consolidate his power and gradually turn Germany into a dictatorship, through the policies he introduced to give himself more and more power
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasement allowed Hitler to gain confidence and grow in power, until war was finally declared after the Russian/ German invasion of Poland
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It was the second round of WW1. The Treaty of Versailles and The Great Depression are mostly to blame for the rise of fascism.

However you could argue if the Treaty of Versailles had been followed as intended Germany would have never have got powerful enough to fight another war. Appeasement been the problem here.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The blame for meant to be on the League of Nations. They were allowing Hitler to get his ways even if it meant the collapse of other nations. They done this just to try to keep peace. If they had fought back from the start against Hitler's actions, then Hitler wouldn't have took advantage of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopingtobeadentist)
    The blame for meant to be on the League of Nations. They were allowing Hitler to get his ways even if it meant the collapse of other nations. They done this just to try to keep peace. If they had fought back from the start against Hitler's actions, then Hitler wouldn't have took advantage of them.
    How would of declaring war on Germany prevented Hitler's aggression? It wouldn't have. Hitler was focused on destroying communism and gaining lebensraum in the east. I make no apologies in saying that Britain and France were wrong to declare war on Germany in 1939.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antimilitarist)
    How would of declaring war on Germany prevented Hitler's aggression? It wouldn't have. Hitler was focused on destroying communism and gaining lebensraum in the east. I make no apologies in saying that Britain and France were wrong to declare war on Germany in 1939.
    People have different interpretations of things. I respect yours and I'm not going to say anything against it as it's your opinion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    World War I. Hostilities didn't properly cease between France and Germany after WWI, so much so that many saw another conflict looming. The French-German border disputes remained and a bitterness between both nations maintained. Resumption of hostilities were simply inevitable.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Treaty of Versailles

The trigger for the WW2 was the invasion of Poland
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are all so clever!
    I get it now, I was doing it in history and was like what would other people thing, so yeah, i actually get it! woho.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The League of Nations and more pacifically USA and Russia not joining the League! This had a huge effect on the League and made it weaker which in turn made the decisions and sanctions it attempted to give a lot weaker. This showed Hitler where he stood and that war was possible.

Appeasement also as this likely clarified what he already knew about the weakness of Britain and France .
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    my number one reason is the financial support Hitler gained from US bankers

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.