Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you care if others suffer?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you sometimes think "life is tough, so what?" in response to others' suffering?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I care about the suffering of others...probably a little too much.
    I know how it feels to feel like **** (as most people do) and wouldn't want anyone else to feel that way.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamadaxan)
    Do you sometimes think "life is tough, so what?" in response to others' suffering?
    Never. I sympathize for people who suffer and go through bad times, because everyone has gone through such times and I could never wish it on anyone, or want to see someone suffering in any way. I accept that suffering is a part of life, but my heart goes out to everyone who is in a bad spot, and I wish them the best of luck and happiness.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would never wish suffering upon someone, as posts before have said, when you've experienced any, you wouldn't want anyone to go through it.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup
    Sometimes another persons problem affects me more than it does them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If I have experienced the same pain as they have, yes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I care waaayy to much. I saw this really old man yesterday getting on the bus and he had pretty bad bruises all on his face. It made me soo sad, I wanted to offer him some help. In my opinion old people are weak and need to be cared for.

Also the same goes for children and animals. When I hear stories about either one getting hurt. It makes my blood boil. The people who do these things should die a long painful death.

Unless the person deserved it. I care soo much and feel soo guilty.

Yep, I'm a pretty emotional person
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To those human beings who are of any concern to me I wish suffering, desolation, sickness, ill-treatment, indignities — I wish that they should not remain unfamiliar with profound self-contempt, the torture of self-mistrust, the wretchedness of the vanquished: I have no pity for them, because I wish them the only thing that can prove today whether one is worth anything or not — that one endures. - Friedrich Nietzsche
    I roll with this most of the time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Zen)
    Never. I sympathize for people who suffer and go through bad times, because everyone has gone through such times and I could never wish it on anyone, or want to see someone suffering in any way. I accept that suffering is a part of life, but my heart goes out to everyone who is in a bad spot, and I wish them the best of luck and happiness.
    Suffering is part of life, as you say, so I don't see why it matters.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intermediary)
    I care about the suffering of others...probably a little too much.
    I know how it feels to feel like **** (as most people do) and wouldn't want anyone else to feel that way.
    Why?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    A little thing called empathy.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes... i find it pretty painful actually... i think i'm too empathetic i don't know whether that's good or bad...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    There's a handful of people close to me that I care for the well-being of.

That's really about it.
    This. I think that we as a species are very detached from those who are not in our immediate vicinity, we cannot express intense emotion and compassion for those outside of us simply because we do not have the capacity to do so.

As a determinist I think that the best way to make things better for other people is not to simply fix the problem, but to help them improve themselves so they can overcome the problem themselves. The video in my signature for example has helped me overcome many of my own personal goals, and will continue to do so. Most people have the power to overcome, they just need a little push in the right direction.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    A little thing called empathy.
    Which is not universal nor doesn't exist in all spheres.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which is not universal nor doesn't exist in all spheres.
    Your point being?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Your point being?
    Empathy is a spent force. who doesn't realise this?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    I care because suffering isn't exactly pleasant, is it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't care at all. People suffer not of my fault but their own.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thought of humans suffering makes me pretty sad, the thought of animals suffering makes me want to kill whoever caused such a thing
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not especially. There are other people around the world suffering all the time and there's nothing I can do about it. To worry about it constantly would be a hell of a cross to bear, so all in all it's better to just not concern yourself with the problems of others.

That's generally speaking, anyway. For those close to me I might be able to empathise/sympathise with (my level of apathy has seemingly reached an all time high in recent months).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.