Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Macbook pro + 8GB ram + SSD

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know most of you are thinking 'oh god, another MBP thread'
    But yeah I have a few questions.
    Now I've considered buying the Macbook pro 13" (Late 2011 version) Core i7, 4GB ram, 750GB HDD.
    Mostly for general use, nothing specific. I'm into gaming, editing, multitasking pretty much everything and I know this isn't the laptop for gaming at all.
    Now I've considered a few upgrades while buying the laptop. Buying 8GB ram and an SSD instead of the optical drive since I 'NEVER' use them at all, and even if I do I heard I could easily plug it in with a USB cord.
    Now adding in a corsair 120GB SSD, and the ram. Would this be a good idea?
    What are the pros and cons to it.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in gaming using a macbook check out this website :

http://portingteam.com/frontpage
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza7)
    Now I've considered buying the Macbook pro 13" (Late 2011 version) Core i7, 4GB ram, 750GB HDD.
    Mostly for general use, nothing specific. I'm into gaming, editing, multitasking pretty much everything and I know this isn't the laptop for gaming at all.
    Now I've considered a few upgrades while buying the laptop. Buying 8GB ram and an SSD instead of the optical drive since I 'NEVER' use them at all, and even if I do I heard I could easily plug it in with a USB cord.
    Well many games developed aren't compatible with Mac especially the older ones.
    On top of that to use your laptop for gaming, if its the latest stuff, you'll a decent dedicated graphics card.
    What about windows? Just get an i7 for hyperthreading and get software to do your editing.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza7)
    Just be aware that if you're looking at games released in the past 3 years-ish it will struggle with the vast majority.

Scroll down on this page to have a look at some benchmarks.

Also; fitting an SSD in a macbook involves pulling it apart and putting a 3rd party ssd-bay where the optical drive is. As far as I understand this absolutely does void your warranty so if it breaks you'll have to pay separately and that could end up being very expensive. A lot of people seem to choose macbooks partly for the free 3 year applecare you get with being a student and apple's great customer service - of which you will have none if you fit an SSD so you might want to think about that. Now I don't know if they can tell if you've opened up/replaced your optical drive (obviously if you put it back before sending it to them) but it's perfectly viable that they have something in place (a sticker etc.) that will alert them.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The 13 inch pro doesn't have a graphics card and relies on the integrated Intel graphics which are awful. So I wouldn't get one for gaming...

Also. No point upgrading the CPU to a core i7, you wont notice the difference. The hard drive you can upgrade yourself as well.

The Macbook Pros are getting updated next month anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    First of all I would say to wait a month or so, Apple are due to refresh their product line soon.

Also while the Intel 3000 graphics chips are better then the older ones which were amazingly bad, I still wouldn't expect much out of one for gaming. If you max out the RAM in that system you could improve performance seeing as a certain amount gets allocated for graphics. In the i5 Mini I have with the same graphics chip, 8GB RAM gives me about...512mb in theory. If you dump 16GB in (it'll cost about £110 or so), then it should be near enough 1GB.

Again, I'm still not saying that it'll perform great with newer games- more of a fun fact :P

As for the SSD...if you aren't afraid to tinker with your machine then do it. The performance boost is fantastic
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Macbook Pros will be updated very soon, stay tuned to Apple for updates. Hopefully they'll have newer Ivy Bridge architectures which have massively improved integrated graphics. If you have the spare cash, an SSD upgrade might be a nice touch to an already high-tier laptop.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.