The Student Room Group

AQA Economics 18th May 2012 Unit 1 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by sach21sk
It is b
Remember demand and supply curves have the assumption 'ceteris paribus' where everything will stay constant except the price. A change in price will move along the curve, a change in anything else shifts the curve.

ahhh i see thanks
Reply 101
in order to reduce consumption of a demerit goood would it be better to regulate or introduce taxation?
please has anyone got aqa jan 12 econ 1 paper?
what is most likely to come up tommorow?
Reply 104
The thing I never get is the following:

Can a large change in demand shift the curve?
Original post by Axion
The thing I never get is the following:

Can a large change in demand shift the curve?

which curve???
Reply 106
Guys, when drawing diagrams in the exam tommorow how big do we make them? I was told half a page by my teacher,but what if I want to put in a diagram in the 12 marker and 3 diagrams in the 25 marker? Also, do we use pen or pencil?
hey can someone help me with answering question 2 from the objective data reponse questions please. it is worth 8 marks but i am unsure how i can get the full 8 marks. i believe 2 marks are for stating a trend and then 2 marks are for using figures. however i am unsure how to use the figures and what i need to compare. any help very much appreciated.

i am hoping someone could give me an answer for the june 11 econ 1 paper question 2 what they would write for the answer and how many marks they believe they should get for this.
Reply 108
Original post by undertaker1
which curve???

the demand curve

are you expecting buffer stocks to come up?
Reply 109
hey can someone help me with answering question 2 from the objective data reponse questions please. it is worth 8 marks but i am unsure how i can get the full 8 marks. i believe 2 marks are for stating a trend and then 2 marks are for using figures. however i am unsure how to use the figures and what i need to compare. any help very much appreciated.

i am hoping someone could give me an answer for the june 11 econ 1 paper question 2 what they would write for the answer and how many marks they believe they should get for this.

Have a look at mark scheme's and you will soon realise.
Original post by Axion
the demand curve

are you expecting buffer stocks to come up?

if their is an increase in demand the demand curve will shift to the right and vice versa

however if their is a change in price then their is a movement along the demand curve. for example an increase in price will cause a contraction in demand whereas a fall in price will bring about an extension in demand
Original post by rss.914
in order to reduce consumption of a demerit goood would it be better to regulate or introduce taxation?

You can argue both ways but I would tend to argue in favour of taxation, as regulation can often result in a black market and is also very costly. Even though taxation may not actually increase government tax revenue, it will decrease consumption. You can evaluate by commenting on incidence of tax and how that affects the change in consumption.

It is actually an incredibly easy question, all you need to do is comment on two changes in the data, DO NOT ANALYSE, or they could penalise you for "trawling" for marks. As another user said, you can check the mark scheme.
The question is essentially free marks if you do it right.
Reply 113

heya you are correct 2 marks for identifiying the significance and 2 marks explain that. you need to 2 points for get the whole 8 marks.

for graphs, try to compare eg price of two products from 2002-2006. COMPARE is important, or else you will not get high mark

also state the relationship between the 2 products eg positive/negative correlated. so that you show people that you understand the graph!

hope that helps
Original post by venenecinema
It is actually an incredibly easy question, all you need to do is comment on two changes in the data, DO NOT ANALYSE, or they could penalise you for "trawling" for marks. As another user said, you can check the mark scheme.
The question is essentially free marks if you do it right.

hey, what does trawling mean??? and how would one trawl?
hey, what does trawling mean??? and how would one trawl?

It basically means that you are commenting on loads of different things trying to get marks. If your answers aren't fairly concise then it could be considered as trawling.
The standard format for the question should be two very short paragraph, with each one identifying a comparison in the data. You should not include multiple points per paragraph and you should not analyse or evaluate the data.
You should always include the units in your answer.
also when drawing diagrams, should we give the diagram a name???

sorry about all the questions guys

I don't think that they will deduct marks for not doing so but you should make it clear which diagram you are referring to in your answer.
Reply 118

I usually put "Figure #" next to it, so you can refer back to it in the conclusion/later in the essay as opposed to trying to refer to an above diagram.
Reply 119
can someone explain q.12 to me on the multiple choice section on the june 11 paper...
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ECON1-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending