Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

**How to GET my music??**

Announcements Posted on
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo

Basically, I want to have all my music on an iPod.

At the moment, I've got about 50 physical albums, giving me ~ 700 songs which I own. I've also got about the same amount on Spotify, but I don't own them, and I can't listen to most of them due to having listened to them the maximum 5 times, and not having Premium. I'm loath to use something like Pirate Bay, as 1) I don't really want to go illegal, and 2) I want my music properly organised, album art, tags etc. and I want it high quality.

I only buy albums when they're < £1 and so most of the new music I find I can't afford and it just gets added to my Spotify library. In total it would cost me ~ £1000 to buy my Spotify collection in album form and I can't afford that!

So what do you guys/girls do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you only buy albums when they're less than a pound? That's nearly never the case! Basically, you have a choice of having less music, spending lots of money, or downloading. There is no way to not do one of those three. The tagging problem, however, can be circumvented by NOT USING ****TY TORRENTS. If you want music that's carefully tagged, find a music blog that does that, and use that to find new music. Some of them are excellent in this respect, but there are some that essentially are a tagging abortion.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can get (digital) albums incredibly cheap from here

Some weird bit-rates in there mind.

Alternatively you could scour e-bay and find some cheap, pre-owned copies.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People still buy their music?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tend to ask for music vouchers for Christmas and birthday and also when i accumulate a certain number of points on my hmv card i buy more CDs

another way is to ask friends if they have the songs
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Why do you only buy albums when they're less than a pound? That's nearly never the case! Basically, you have a choice of having less music, spending lots of money, or downloading. There is no way to not do one of those three. The tagging problem, however, can be circumvented by NOT USING ****TY TORRENTS. If you want music that's carefully tagged, find a music blog that does that, and use that to find new music. Some of them are excellent in this respect, but there are some that essentially are a tagging abortion.
    True, but I also want lossless music, which is effort to find in torrents and then convert to iTunes. I don't want to get all my music in mp3 256 and then find it gets outdated and I get more expensive sound equipment and need higher quality stuff.
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    As you said, weird bit-rates, mp3 files, not lossless cd quality. The ebay thing is what I'm doing atm Edit: just looking at the site again - how is it so cheap!!? I'm guessing they're selling *stolen* goods, which isn't legal for us to buy..
    (Original post by desijut)
    Yeah. It's mainly teenagers who can't afford music who download it, and I'm trying to stay clear of that path
    (Original post by shorttstuff)
    I tend to ask for music vouchers for Christmas and birthday and also when i accumulate a certain number of points on my hmv card i buy more CDs

another way is to ask friends if they have the songs
    None of my friends have CDs, they all just rip stuff off youtube or download from pirate bay The issue is cost now - I don't want to spend £1000 on music.. It might have to be pirate bay! I don't want to go for Spotify Premium either as I don't get to keep the music, but at the same time music discovery is getting so quick that it might be better to go for an on-demand service.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what TSR's user policy is on condoning piracy, but I condone doing anything to spit in the face of the current music "industry". It needs to be slain like the foul beast it is.

If a band I like it still relatively small/unknown or could do with help, even after acquiring the album gratis I'll tend to buy it to support them. Most bands make most of their money touring, since their label doesn't take 2980379% of the profits from that.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happydude)
    I'm not sure what TSR's user policy is on condoning piracy, but I condone doing anything to spit in the face of the current music "industry". It needs to be slain like the foul beast it is.

If a band I like it still relatively small/unknown or could do with help, even after acquiring the album gratis I'll tend to buy it to support them. Most bands make most of their money touring, since their label doesn't take 2980379% of the profits from that.
    Students simply can't afford to spend that much money on music
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    Yeah. It's mainly teenagers who can't afford music who download it, and I'm trying to stay clear of that path
    My dad downloads music, I dont know anyone that buys music, unless they cant find it online and desperately want it
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

I love you!! :woo:

I had stupidly been buying songs I really wanted off iTunes at about 99p each (my internet is too slow for torrents :facepalm:), but that site is amazing!
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:

Been looking properly into that site, and it's actually amazing i signed up and got my free tracks, and found this site http://mp3obsession.hubpages.com/hub/buycheapmp3s comparing a few similar websites. Seems almost too good to be true but then the random bitrate thing might be dealbreaker..

Edit: In fact, after downloading a supposedly "high-quality 320kbps" track, I found that 1) it was 319kbps, and 2) the SQ was terrible. Comparing it to the Spotify stream of the same song showed me that there was a distinct hum in the background which shouldn't have been there, and that the "mixing levels?" were off - the voice was lower than it should have been etc. Almost as though the track had been re-recorded using a cheap cable..

Turns out all the mega-cheap Russian sites are the same - they rip from CDs, but those CDs are pirated, low quality lossy copies of the original, and so what you're doing is paying for rubbish quality pirated music. You might as well pirate it yourself and know what quality you're getting..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, are you actually sure that you can tell the difference between, say mp3 320 and FLAC? Our current sound technology is more than good enough to do so, but not everybody's ears are.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, are you actually sure that you can tell the difference between, say mp3 320 and FLAC? Our current sound technology is more than good enough to do so, but not everybody's ears are.
    Ofc I can't tell the difference using any equipment I currently own and so I would be happy with 320, it's just I'd like lossless so that in the future when I get my own home stereo etc. I won't have to track down all my music again. Thinking about it actually, I don't think I'd care as the difference between 320 and lossless even on the highest equipment is minimal from what I've heard, and I will still be able to enjoy the music.

The real problem with those sites, though, is that not everything is 320, or even 256. I just downloaded two songs in 308kbps (weird..) and there were others floating around at 192 or even 128. I guess I'll use a combination of similar sites to find high bitrates for them all, and after my exams I'll be sitting down and blowing a healthy £100 on these sites to buy out my entire Spotify collection but it would be nice to find a site offering everything in 320, which isn't going to happen.

That's why I like CDs - everything is lossless, end of.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ofc I can't tell the difference using any equipment I currently own and so I would be happy with 320, it's just I'd like lossless so that in the future when I get my own home stereo etc. I won't have to track down all my music again. Thinking about it actually, I don't think I'd care as the difference between 320 and lossless even on the highest equipment is minimal from what I've heard, and I will still be able to enjoy the music.

The real problem with those sites, though, is that not everything is 320, or even 256. I just downloaded two songs in 308kbps (weird..) and there were others floating around at 192 or even 128. I guess I'll use a combination of similar sites to find high bitrates for them all, and after my exams I'll be sitting down and blowing a healthy £100 on these sites to buy out my entire Spotify collection but it would be nice to find a site offering everything in 320, which isn't going to happen.

That's why I like CDs - everything is lossless, end of.
    Your answer is once again blogs - I'm not sure what music you're in to, but two good ones for classical and metal respectively which do nearly everything in FLAC are La Discoteca Clasica and Church Of Zer. Alternatively you could just google the album name followed by '320' or 'FLAC'.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your answer is once again blogs - I'm not sure what music you're in to, but two good ones for classical and metal respectively which do nearly everything in FLAC are La Discoteca Clasica and Church Of Zer. Alternatively you could just google the album name followed by '320' or 'FLAC'.
    No specific genres. And I mean it, I actually listen to a lot of different genres. My playlist might go Dubstep, Classical, Epic Film, Soft rock, Acoustic, Electronic, Blues
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No specific genres. And I mean it, I actually listen to a lot of different genres. My playlist might go Dubstep, Classical, Epic Film, Soft rock, Acoustic, Electronic, Blues
    Okay, well definitely check out the above two, JJ's Jazz And Such, Music On Top, Wine Women And Song, and for a shameless plug, a moderate proportion of the music on my blog, Court In The Act, is at 320.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

And what is it you're trying to achieve through this?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Apparently not... which is why all your favourite bands have no money to spend on decent studio time, have to raise the price of gig tickets, and make their merch so damn expensive.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

Where do people get this idea from? Have you ever been in a signed band which tours? The money for tours does not appear out of thin air, you need vehicle hire and fuel and road staff and supplies and equipment etc and the money for that comes from the label, who relies on record sales. If a band sells badly, they will get a poorly-invested tour and make roughly **** all.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just download digital copies of the albums you own physically from the Pirate Bay? There's nothing morally wrong with that. Or, obviously, you can rip them from the CD to your computer's hard drive. As for the stuff you listen to on Spotify, there's no way of obtaining that legally. But... so what?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.