Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

**How to GET my music??**

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    People still buy their music?
    yes. It is objectively true that the sound quality of CD and Vinyl is superior to that of mp3s. That and £5-10 to buy one of my favourite albums which I will listen to millions of times doesn't exactly seem like a bad deal.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    And what is it you're trying to achieve through this?
    Buying the albums of bands I think could do with the money so they can continue to make great music? :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    yes. It is objectively true that the sound quality of CD and Vinyl is superior to that of mp3s.
    That's a valid point. It would also be relevant if not for the fact that you can get any album in FLAC, a lossless format. You're basically saying "a lossless format is superior to that of a lossy format" - well yes, clearly.

But, it's a lot easier to have a music library on your computer of 1000s of MP3s or FLACs than 100 physical CDs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes. It is objectively true that the sound quality of CD and Vinyl is superior to that of mp3s. That and £5-10 to buy one of my favourite albums which I will listen to millions of times doesn't exactly seem like a bad deal.
    Not necessarily. Some CD demos these days are ripped from 320kbps mp3s and therefore cannot be of superior quality.

Plus, if the difference between 320 and FLAC is small, the difference between FLAC and CD is minute. Vinyl has problems of maintenance and just has a different sound overall that probably can't be measured up to an objective standard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (surreptitious cough)

DC++
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happydude)
    Buying the albums of bands I think could do with the money so they can continue to make great music? :confused:
    I was mainly referring to the condoning of piracy to "spit in the face of the music industry." Labels need money to fund the bands, believe it or not, regardless of how unfairly they may appear to treat them at times. To boycott a label is to boycott its bands.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wanna get music? Don't have money? Be a moral pirate.

Bands that I really like and that I want to give my money to, well I buy their Merch or go to their gigs. I don't buy music because I don't like the industry, though I will buy from independant labels, such as Enter Shikari's 'Ambush Reality'.

The way I see it, most of the music I have I would never buy. It's as simple as that, so you can't argue anyone is 'losing' a sale. However, I support artists I like, and through music I have downloaded I have come to like some bands well enough to buy their stuff, and I have introduced friends to artists they would never have known. I have no regrets about my actions.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was mainly referring to the condoning of piracy to "spit in the face of the music industry." Labels need money to fund the bands, believe it or not, regardless of how unfairly they may appear to treat them at times. To boycott a label is to boycott its bands.
    Simple answer is to boycott the big labels and abusers of the industry, and support small labels and independant artists. 9/10 small/upcoming artists will tell you that they don't want or need the major labels.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Bands that I really like and that I want to give my money to, well I buy their Merch or go to their gigs. I don't buy music because I don't like the industry, though I will buy from independant labels, such as Enter Shikari's 'Ambush Reality'.
    Nailed it. For example, I happily pirated Infected Mushroom's new album as it didn't seem to hot for me, but I was even happier to pre-order Hot Chip's new album from the label's site. Even sometimes, just telling people about an band or album helps out in the long run.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labels aren't a charitable institution seeking to promote music for the good of humanity. Given the retarded price of new albums ( >£13 most of the time now) I don't find it unreasonable that many people resort to piracy.

I can't remember what band it was that did it, maybe Radiohead? Not sure, but they released an album for free on their website. There was an option to pay what you wanted. They figured out they made more out of that than if they had sold the same number of copies of the album that were downloaded through a music label.

That happened purely because they had loyal fans and produced decent music. True musicians will always be making music - if Nicki Minaj or some other pop *******s even attempted the same kind of thing, I guarantee it would fail. Her success is due to her label bombarding the seven shades out of everyone with advertising and trying to ram her shi tey music up everyone's rear orifice.

(Original post by Steevee)
    Wanna get music? Don't have money? Be a moral pirate.

The way I see it, most of the music I have I would never buy. It's as simple as that, so you can't argue anyone is 'losing' a sale. However, I support artists I like, and through music I have downloaded I have come to like some bands well enough to buy their stuff, and I have introduced friends to artists they would never have known. I have no regrets about my actions.
    This guy is on the ball. +1 man!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    yes. It is objectively true that the sound quality of CD and Vinyl is superior to that of mp3s.
    In the same way that an infra-red TV has a wider colour spectrum maybe. Too bad it's irrelevant since you can't tell.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Not necessarily. Some CD demos these days are ripped from 320kbps mp3s and therefore cannot be of superior quality.

Plus, if the difference between 320 and FLAC is small, the difference between FLAC and CD is minute. Vinyl has problems of maintenance and just has a different sound overall that probably can't be measured up to an objective standard.
    Eh? Who buys CD demos? Those are what are sent to the labels so they can have a listen, not what are distributed.

I thought the difference between FLAC and CD was non-existent...
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Can get (digital) albums incredibly cheap from here

(Original post by truthandtragedy)
    I love you!! :woo:

I had stupidly been buying songs I really wanted off iTunes at about 99p each (my internet is too slow for torrents :facepalm:), but that site is amazing!
    Ah, yes: because it just isn't 'piracy' unless every illicit download triggers a nominal donation to the Russian Mafia.

(Original post by Palatial Veranda)
    DC++
    Shh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happydude)
    I can't remember what band it was that did it, maybe Radiohead? Not sure, but they released an album for free on their website. There was an option to pay what you wanted. They figured out they made more out of that than if they had sold the same number of copies of the album that were downloaded through a music label.
    That was indeed Radiohead. It was for their album In Rainbows, which is a wonderful release. This is what the lead singer said:

"I like the people at our record company, but the time is at hand when you have to ask why anyone needs one. And, yes, it probably would give us some perverse pleasure to say '**** you' to this decaying business model."

Pretty much sums it up, really.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steveholt)
    That's a valid point. It would also be relevant if not for the fact that you can get any album in FLAC, a lossless format. You're basically saying "a lossless format is superior to that of a lossy format" - well yes, clearly.

But, it's a lot easier to have a music library on your computer of 1000s of MP3s or FLACs than 100 physical CDs.
    not really. Most CDs are fairly cheap now if you want popular ones. I go into CEX sometimes and come out with 3 CDs for around a tenner. Even on amazon some are ridiculously cheap. I got one of my favourite albums, powerlsave by iron maiden for £4! I'm a student with no job (well I started at Pizza hut yesterday, but for the point) and I still managed to buy around 50 CDs this academic year. My current CD count stood at 100 a few weeks ago (not sure how many I've bought since) and its much cooler than having mp3s. I download stuff as well, I think I've got something ridiculous like 42000 odd, because I like to hear things before I buy them, or sometimes physical releases are impossible to get (sorry Scott Cortez, I love your music, but until you make a physical release, I'm not buying Ghost coloured Halo) but in the long run, I much prefer to have CDs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love how people believe they are being moral if they buy an album second hand or for a pound on some obscure website. Do you really think the band see's any of that money? Even the people who buy albums for full price are not giving all that much money due to the shop taking its cut, distributors, record company etc. Real bands make more from touring and merchandise than from album sales. I think this is the way it should be, this way they have to earn the money by performing and people can choose to support them by buying merchandise. Personally there are many many bands I didn't know about and then illegally downloaded their music and ended up seeing them many times and spending a lot on seeing them. Without that illegal download I'd never hear them and never spend that money. I have quite a few CD's from like classic albums that I really love but for travelling and ease of access you can't beat MP3's.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    not really. Most CDs are fairly cheap now if you want popular ones. I go into CEX sometimes and come out with 3 CDs for around a tenner. Even on amazon some are ridiculously cheap. I got one of my favourite albums, powerlsave by iron maiden for £4! I'm a student with no job (well I started at Pizza hut yesterday, but for the point) and I still managed to buy around 50 CDs this academic year. My current CD count stood at 100 a few weeks ago (not sure how many I've bought since) and its much cooler than having mp3s. I download stuff as well, I think I've got something ridiculous like 42000 odd, because I like to hear things before I buy them, or sometimes physical releases are impossible to get (sorry Scott Cortez, I love your music, but until you make a physical release, I'm not buying Ghost coloured Halo) but in the long run, I much prefer to have CDs.
    That's great and all, and I agree that having a physical copy is neat, but it's still kind of irrelevant. You buying second-hand products is still effectively piracy, as far as the labels are concerned. They get no money but you get the product.

My music library is around 15,000 songs. Let's say each CD has around 12 tracks on it. That is 1250 albums I would have to have to match my current digital library. Each CD case is around 1cm thick. That means, on top of one another, my music collection would be 12.5 metres high. Good luck trying to find a place to put that.

In the end, with a digital collection, you get better if not equal quality music for free with better space management. Either way, your favourite bands aren't getting any money from what you do.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's great and all, and I agree that having a physical copy is neat, but it's still kind of irrelevant. You buying second-hand products is still effectively piracy, as far as the labels are concerned. They get no money but you get the product.

My music library is around 15,000 songs. Let's say each CD has around 12 tracks on it. That is 1250 albums I would have to have to match my current digital library. Each CD case is around 1cm thick. That means, on top of one another, my music collection would be 12.5 metres high. Good luck trying to find a place to put that.

In the end, with a digital collection, you get better if not equal quality music for free with better space management. Either way, your favourite bands aren't getting any money from what you do.
    The original point was about 100 CD's not 1250. And I never said anything about my favourite bands getting money, although the money I spent to buy merch and a gig ticket when i went to see Delain live yesterday probably helped them.

I also guess if the album was purchased once then they already got money out of it as well as an advance. I guess the kind of CD's I would buy in CEX (Not likely to find much grindcore, shoegaze or black metal in there) would be more popular bands anyway, they might not need my money as much. For lesser known bands I would buy their CDs for full price, most likely off of their webstore if its not significantly more expensive to.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:

Well, no, you don't. Find me something better than CD quality and I will salute you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I usually use eBay or there's a shop near me called That's Entertainment which is also extremely cheap!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.