Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

**How to GET my music??**

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    Well, no, you don't. Find me something better than CD quality and I will salute you.
    can you even hear the difference?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happydude)
    I'm not sure what TSR's user policy is on condoning piracy, but I condone doing anything to spit in the face of the current music "industry". It needs to be slain like the foul beast it is.

If a band I like it still relatively small/unknown or could do with help, even after acquiring the album gratis I'll tend to buy it to support them. Most bands make most of their money touring, since their label doesn't take 2980379% of the profits from that.
    I don't see how one can condone stealing depending upon the size of the institution. Surely, stealing is absolute not relative?
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Not now, but on a home system I should be able to hear the difference between random bitrate mp3s and lossless files, yes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebastienlewis)
    I don't see how one can condone stealing depending upon the size of the institution. Surely, stealing is absolute not relative?
    I don't think it is absolute at all. A lot of bands I've seen live have in fact shouted at the crowd that they don't care that people steal their music, as long as we come to their live shows! I'm not going to be convinced otherwise any time soon. There is a really good interview with John Frusciante where he talks about the ridiculousness of music ownership: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYZQc...eature=related
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steveholt)
    That's great and all, and I agree that having a physical copy is neat, but it's still kind of irrelevant. You buying second-hand products is still effectively piracy, as far as the labels are concerned. They get no money but you get the product.

My music library is around 15,000 songs. Let's say each CD has around 12 tracks on it. That is 1250 albums I would have to have to match my current digital library. Each CD case is around 1cm thick. That means, on top of one another, my music collection would be 12.5 metres high. Good luck trying to find a place to put that.

In the end, with a digital collection, you get better if not equal quality music for free with better space management. Either way, your favourite bands aren't getting any money from what you do.
    You do know you can have multiple piles? 12 lots of just over a metre each is a tiny amount of room.

Also, with a decent hifi, the difference between vinyl and cd is huge, then between cd and mp3 is much much bigger. I can definitely notice a drop in quality between each format.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can, but then again I listen through a player/amp/headphone setup costing upwards of £800. When you're using an expensive setup, good quality audio files are pretty much essential.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I can, but then again I listen through a player/amp/headphone setup costing upwards of £800. When you're using an expensive setup, good quality audio files are pretty much essential.
    £800+ for headphones?? And i thought people spending money on £100 headphones was ridiculous
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    £800+ for headphones?? And i thought people spending money on £100 headphones was ridiculous
    £395 for the headphones, £180 for the amp, £220 for the iPod and cable.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo

Basically, I want to have all my music on an iPod.

At the moment, I've got about 50 physical albums, giving me ~ 700 songs which I own. I've also got about the same amount on Spotify, but I don't own them, and I can't listen to most of them due to having listened to them the maximum 5 times, and not having Premium. I'm loath to use something like Pirate Bay, as 1) I don't really want to go illegal, and 2) I want my music properly organised, album art, tags etc. and I want it high quality.

I only buy albums when they're < £1 and so most of the new music I find I can't afford and it just gets added to my Spotify library. In total it would cost me ~ £1000 to buy my Spotify collection in album form and I can't afford that!

So what do you guys/girls do?
    The uploads on file sharing sites or torrents are decent quality as they've bought the music then uploaded it. The only time you'll come across poor quality uploads is if you get some dodgy youtube rip. Use torrents.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    The uploads on file sharing sites or torrents are decent quality as they've bought the music then uploaded it. The only time you'll come across poor quality uploads is if you get some dodgy youtube rip. Use torrents.
    's effort
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beggars cant be choosers, either use torrents or start saving up.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think he meant £800 for the "player/amp/headphone" setup, not just the headphones amps are pretty pricey (and necessary to drive big headphones from a measly iPod). Still, it's a lot of dosh, but he must be an audiophile who appreciates sound quality
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    who the **** pays for music in 2012
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo

Basically, I want to have all my music on an iPod.

At the moment, I've got about 50 physical albums, giving me ~ 700 songs which I own. I've also got about the same amount on Spotify, but I don't own them, and I can't listen to most of them due to having listened to them the maximum 5 times, and not having Premium. I'm loath to use something like Pirate Bay, as 1) I don't really want to go illegal, and 2) I want my music properly organised, album art, tags etc. and I want it high quality.

I only buy albums when they're < £1 and so most of the new music I find I can't afford and it just gets added to my Spotify library. In total it would cost me ~ £1000 to buy my Spotify collection in album form and I can't afford that!

So what do you guys/girls do?
    If youve got physical albums, why dont you import them into iTunes?
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcs31)
    If youve got physical albums, why dont you import them into iTunes?
    I do, but I only have (now) 60-70 albums. The rest of my 'collection' is on Spotify, waiting to be purchased (songs from around 200 different albums).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    £395 for the headphones, £180 for the amp, £220 for the iPod and cable.
    Ah cool... still 395 for headphones.... How old are you btw?
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool... still 395 for headphones.... How old are you btw?
    I'm 21.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do, but I only have (now) 60-70 albums. The rest of my 'collection' is on Spotify, waiting to be purchased (songs from around 200 different albums).
    Personally, I wouldnt say that's music you own then. Its not part of your collection, just stuff you've listened to.
    To "get" it, you're going to have to buy, steal or borrow, just like any other item.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcs31)
    Personally, I wouldnt say that's music you own then. Its not part of your collection, just stuff you've listened to.
    To "get" it, you're going to have to buy, steal or borrow, just like any other item.
    I didn't say I owned the Spotify stuff. By "collection" I meant the titles of pieces I've 'collected'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well, no, you don't. Find me something better than CD quality and I will salute you.
    DVD-Audio discs can hold the same amount of audio as a CD with over 4x the sampling rate, with a 24-bit sampling accuracy (compared to 16-bit of CD).

That's better than CD, and equal to is lossless FLAC or WAV.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.