Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Beetroot? does diffusion or osmosis come into it?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have my assessed c/w 2moz and am getting in a total muddle!! it is the how does temp affect movement of pigment of beetroot. How does the pigment move in and out of the cell? osmosis? Does this need to be included in the scientific knowledge?

For my scientific knowledge, i am going to write about, protein denaturing, kinetic energy, plasma membranes

i would really appreciate the help!!!!

Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    i have my assessed c/w 2moz and am getting in a total muddle!! it is the how does temp affect movement of pigment of beetroot. How does the pigment move in and out of the cell? osmosis? Does this need to be included in the scientific knowledge?

For my scientific knowledge, i am going to write about, protein denaturing, kinetic energy, plasma membranes

Thanks
    1. The higher the temperature, the faster the pigments moving out of the cells.

2. Diffusion, not osmosis, osmosis is movement of water form a region of high water potential to a region of lower water potential.

3. Yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)

Thanks
    The pigment does not move in; it is released when the cell membranes are damaged. When writing up, include all relevent scientific information.

The scientific knowledge you intend to include is fair enough.

J.
Updated: February 25, 2004
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.