The Student Room Group

Yield of ATP from Respiration Confusion

Hi, Im currently studying A2 Biology for Edexcel. In my revision guide published by CGP they give they final yield of ATP from respiration to be 32ATP but in sixth form we have learnt that there is yield of 38 ATP, and when I showed my teacher my revision guide she couldn't understand why the book had 32 ATP, but I've just come across somthing else on Biologymad.com showing that there is Old and new method of calculating the yield, does anyone know which one I should use or does it matter, or which one Edexcel prefer?
that's a very good point actually........
Reply 2
There are several values because sometimes the energy (from ATP) needed for active transport (of pyruvate) into the mitochondria is/isn't included..but don't quote me on that because it could be completely wrong :smile:
Reply 3
Basically I think it comes down to that now apprantly NADH can make 2.5 ATPs and FADH can make 1.5 ATPs, but in most old books and previously it was thought that NADH made 3 ATP and FADH made 2 ATP, but which one will edexcel accept or does it not matter as they have probably realised that there is a lot of confusion around this?
just put what you just said in the exam, therefore you cannot get penalised, although I think they might have both answers in the mark scheme
Reply 5
Yes I believe the total yield changes and is dependent on several variables. If you say 38 you won't get marked down because that is the standard amount quoted in most textbooks.
Reply 6
TerryOS
Basically I think it comes down to that now apprantly NADH can make 2.5 ATPs and FADH can make 1.5 ATPs, but in most old books and previously it was thought that NADH made 3 ATP and FADH made 2 ATP, but which one will edexcel accept or does it not matter as they have probably realised that there is a lot of confusion around this?

Probably - they didn't take away the ATP needed to transport them into the mitochondria

Latest

Trending

Trending