Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Physics Unit 1 17th May 2012

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2012 question paper and mark scheme anybody? Pretty please?
    xo
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know the eqaution for momentum relating to Newtons 2nd law?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain this phenomena

Why is a passenger on a moving bus pushed forward when it stops and vice versa?

Sorry, if it sounds vague. I got this question from the edexcel As physics textbook.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT1402)
    you mean resultant force=mass x acceleration ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT1402)
    F = m(v - u) / t, where m = mass of the body, v = final velocity and u = initial velocity

The definition for Newton's second law is resultant force is directly proportional to rate of change of momentum
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quintillion)
    Can someone please explain this phenomena

Why is a passenger on a moving bus pushed forward when it stops and vice versa?

Sorry, if it sounds vague. I got this question from the edexcel As physics textbook.
    its your body's inertia i guess, this relates to newton's first law of motion

if you want a detailed answer: according to newton's first law an object will remain at motion unless it was acted upon by an unbalanced force(e.g. seatbelt) so in this case the passanger's inertia(tendancy in objects to resist change in motion) will cause him to keep moving forward eventhough the bus stopped moving
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerichi)
    Jan 2012 question paper and mark scheme anybody? Pretty please?
    xo
    here is the mark scheme i will upload the question paper next
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf jan 2012.pdf (309.1 KB, 344 views)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99llewellyn99)
    here is the mark scheme i will upload the question paper next
    srry the file size is too big could u take the link from someone else coz i dont have it sorry
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youlostme)
    its your body's inertia i guess, this relates to newton's first law of motion
    O, now I got it. Inertia is the unwillingness of a body to stay at rest or move with uniform motion.

So, when the bus is moving (assuming at a constant speed) the person also moves with a constant speed. When the bus stops, the person's inertia will prevent it from attaining rest. Thus, the person will be pushed forward since he is still moving with the bus's velocity. He will attain rest when the forces acting on him algebraically add up to zero i.e. newtons first law of motion

Please correct my explanation... I know it's wrong

Last question, please can anyone give me tips on improving QWC.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abeed)
    Hello there,
    If you mean GCSE - I believe there is no correlation between AS and GCSE physics.
    For me, it was totally different.
    I had done OCR physics at GCSE, and now I do Edexcel.
    Sure I have little background knowledge, but in terms of getting the grades - AS level physics is more applied, whereas at GCSE it was all about memorising.

Go through some books in the library, and if it seems like something you'd enjoy, go for it!
    But it isn't easy by any means.

Hope that helps,
    Abeed

hey thank you so much man, you properly cleared my mind
    i was planning on learning any basics i need before i start but i was worried that i wouldn't be able to cover it all
    thanks again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    O, now I got it. Inertia is the unwillingness of a body to stay at rest or move with uniform motion.

So, when the bus is moving (assuming at a constant speed) the person also moves with a constant speed. When the bus stops, the person's inertia will prevent it from attaining rest. Thus, the person will be pushed forward since he is still moving with the bus's velocity. He will attain rest when the forces acting on him algebraically add up to zero i.e. newtons first law of motion

Please correct my explanation... I know it's wrong

almost there
    the way you explain it "the person's inertia will prevent it from attaining rest" makes it sound like inertia is a force, when in fact it isn't, so it is incorrect to say the person is "pushed" forward because nothing pushes him...inertia is only the term used to describe the object's tendancy to resist changes in motion i.e. it's not a force...
    you should rephrase it and refrain from using terms like "push" or "prevent" and your answer will be correct
    that's why newton's first law of motion is also called the law of inertia
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just write your answers so that each sentence corresponds to a bullet point on the mark scheme (i.e. each sentence is another mark).

As long as each sentence follows the previous one in a logical and chronologically correct manner, then they can't take away any marks.

If you look at mark schemes you can see how they have 3/4 words per mark and each marking point is sequential - most people imagine the mark scheme in their head and "serenade" it.

Only thing is, if you try to imagine the mark scheme then you're trying to image what's inside the Edexcel examination officer's mind, and oh boy; what a f*cked up place that is...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the 2012 January unit1 paper, I can find a pdf for the markscheme just not the paper
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have it, but you guys won't be able to access it via a link (it's on my college area; account details required).

Can you upload PDFs to TSR?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Top Hats)
    I have it, but you guys won't be able to access it via a link (it's on my college area; account details required).

Can you upload PDFs to TSR?
    yes u can i jus did it has to be within a certain file size tho
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Urmmm... How do you upload it?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samkanwoods)
    Did anybody do their AQA Maths Core 1 and 2 test today? I f so how did they find it?
    Me - and euuugghhhhh what was Core 2?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    jan 2012: 6PH01_01_que_20120307.pdf
    jan 2012 ms: 6PH01_01_msc_20120208.pdf

YAAAAY it finally worked, here you go
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how to do Q17D from jan 2012?

Show that the average speed of the car does not exceed the average speed limit of 22m/s^-1
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opsimath)
    Can anyone tell me how to do Q17D from jan 2012?

Show that the average speed of the car does not exceed the average speed limit of 22m/s^-1
    Get the area under the graph..there could be 2 triangles, 1 square n 3 rectangles
    this would be equal to the distance..Use the average speed formula..n show it..
    e.g
    the area undr graph is apprx 1059m
    using avg.speed= 1059/50 = 21.28
    therefore the speed is in limit

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.