Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Premier League THE BEST IN THE WORLD

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    La Liga overrated when they have the two best teams in the world and had 3 teams in the Semi finals of the Europa league?
    True, but not many clubs go 100% in the Europa League when they are primarily focused on qualifying for the Champions League domestically. This year it was evident with Man Utd, Man City, Porto, Ajax and so on - though all those clubs had just dropped out on the CL group stage, so that may be the main reason for that attitude.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    La Liga overrated when they have the two best teams in the world and had 3 teams in the Semi finals of the Europa league?
    2 teams defines a whole league does it? Rofl.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    2 teams defines a whole league does it? Rofl.
    2 teams and the other 3 that I just mentioned... including the one that wiped the floor with Man United?

Oh and I see you still haven't replied to my other comment. Don't you get sick of humiliating yourself?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    2 teams and the other 3 that I just mentioned... including the one that wiped the floor with Man United?
    Derp more , thanks.
    5 teams does not define a league.
    Those teams progressing does not define how fair/exciting/etc that league is.

Oh and I see you still haven't replied to my other comment. Don't you get sick of humiliating yourself?
    I see you cant read English very well. I never stated your view was wrong, i stated your argument for it was abysmal.

30 points behind 2nd and 3rd. Makes for a very exciting league (lol)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im only insulting the idiots who are adding nothing to the discussions and just mindlessly disagreeing or acting smug like that Tommy character. Yet when I do provide an argument they shut up...
    How do you know he won't still reply? I am not joining in discussion about the Bundesliga because I don't watch it or know anything about it. Anyway we're clogging up the thread with this.

You would hope that after day's like today, more big names will watch be encouraged to come to the EPL. It feels like in recent years we have lost a lot of our power/appeal to the world class players of football. I suppose that is inevitable with the likes of Barca dominating in Europe. Maybe things are going to change.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    That was the best last day ever - better than Blackburn/United in 94/95 and I'd probably say edges past Arsenal/Liverpool in 89.

It probably has been the best season out of the 20 in the PL. Incredible stuff.
    No it doesn't. What Arsenal had to do that day was defeat arguebly the greatest club side of that generation, who had won all those league titles just prior, a team everyone feared, by a somewhat unfavourable scoreline in their own backyard. I'm not even an Arsenal fan.

City had QPR at home, which they should have won anyway. Dramatic late on yes, but nowhere near the same as Arsenals feat in 1989, which was amazing.

That Liverpool side had 4 european cups in 7 years, reached another final and would have won more had they not been banned.

Like I say not the same as defeating 10 man QPR, but granted it was dramatic.

Dont get sucked into the sky hype, everythings recent is always the best ever.

Barcelona are greatest club team of all time
    Lionel Messi is the greatest player of all time
    Wayne Rooney's overhead kick was the greatest english goal of all time
    Craig Gordons save was the greatest save of all time
    Last season was the greatest season of all time
    This season is the greatest season of all time
    Next season is was greatest season of all time

IMO none of those statements are true, its just sky hype.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Derp more , thanks.
    5 teams does not define a league.
    Those teams progressing does not define how fair/exciting/etc that league is.

I see you cant read English very well. I never stated your view was wrong, i stated your argument for it was abysmal.

30 points behind 2nd and 3rd. Makes for a very exciting league (lol)
    Sorry, you say I can't read English very well but when did I mention anything to do with how fair/ exciting etc the La Liga is? Oh wait, I didn't. All I showed was that this season the La Liga has been more successful in Europe than the Premier League. Hahaha this is like arguing with a 5 year old.

I didn't provide an argument... yet when I did, you shut up quite promptly.

Again you're talking about how exciting/close the league is when I haven't mentioned that at all. But since that is what you believe defines the best league then you must surely agree that the Bundesliga is the best league in the world?

Besides, put Madrid and Barcelona in the Premier League and there will still probably be a two horse race between them.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the strength of teams in the top 6, the prem is better than the bundesliga and la liga. You can use the bilbao beat man united argument, but then I'll use the chelsea beat barca argument. It's the exact same thing if not better, chelsea faced a team higher in the rankings than the team bilbao faced and barca are considered a stronger team than united.

Now lets look at the difference between teams, last season the premier league was much more competitive than it was this season, I really don't want to bother, but the highest point total by a relegated team(39 points by blackpool and birmingham) and the difference between the top 4 11 points is much lower than the difference this season 19. I would also like to say (despite the last minute winner by aguero) that last season's survival sunday was the best I've ever seen.

I don't think that the prem is the most competitive league in the world although it had a good claim last season, Bundesliga and serie A have a better claim in terms of being competitive.

But that doesn't mean it's not the best league in the world, it all depends on what you define being the best league in the world, in terms of competitiveness, quality of football. I would say that bundesliga and the prem come close. I do think the teams at the top are stronger in the prem than the teams at the top in the bundesliga so I think that we edge it in quality football between the top teams but not in terms of competitiveness. Our champions league record for the past 7 seasons shows that our top teams are stronger than germany's top teams. (they have had a good past 3 seasons) but having 2 finalists and one team reach the semi finals in 3 years isn't as good as having 3 semi finalists in one year like in 09.

I think that english teams have weakened in europe, but I'm not surprised with the real/barca uprising, usually you'd see 2 of chelsea, united or liverpool in the semis,
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    How do you know he won't still reply? I am not joining in discussion about the Bundesliga because I don't watch it or know anything about it. Anyway we're clogging up the thread with this.

You would hope that after day's like today, more big names will watch be encouraged to come to the EPL. It feels like in recent years we have lost a lot of our power/appeal to the world class players of football. I suppose that is inevitable with the likes of Barca dominating in Europe. Maybe things are going to change.
    Because he hasn't and has just said he does not intend to. Sorry but in a thread about the Premier League being the best league in the world I can't argue that the Bundesliga is in fact the best?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, you say I can't read English very well but when did I mention anything to do with how fair/ exciting etc the La Liga is?
    You really are a bit of a derp arent you lol?

The person you quoted about the La Liga being overrated was clearly, given they literally stated it, talking about the level of competitiveness and excitement in the league,. Thus when you argued against it, you argued against that point

Pretty simple bro, English lessons may help.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    In terms of the strength of teams in the top 6, the prem is better than the bundesliga and la liga. You can use the bilbao beat man united argument, but then I'll use the chelsea beat barca argument. It's the exact same thing if not better, chelsea faced a team higher in the rankings than the team bilbao faced and barca are considered a stronger team than united.
    Yes but you could argue that Bilbao actually outplayed Man United whereas Chelsea did not outplay Barcelona what so ever. In my opinion Chelsea were very fortunate to go through.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they are all a lot more equal than they've been in recent years. Personally, I find the Bundesliga and the Premier League the best. You can only admire the way that the Bundesliga is run, it's a fantastic league that far more people should be watching.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, you say I can't read English very well but when did I mention anything to do with how fair/ exciting etc the La Liga is? Oh wait, I didn't. All I showed was that this season the La Liga has been more successful in Europe than the Premier League. Hahaha this is like arguing with a 5 year old.

I didn't provide an argument... yet when I did, you shut up quite promptly.

Again you're talking about how exciting/close the league is when I haven't mentioned that at all. But since that is what you believe defines the best league then you must surely agree that the Bundesliga is the best league in the world?

Besides, put Madrid and Barcelona in the Premier League and there will still probably be a two horse race between them.
    You do realise that you're incredibly rude, arrogant and bullish style is not helping your case right?

You think he's the 5 year old? Lol? You sound like you're shouting through a computer screen. Grow up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You really are a bit of a derp arent you lol?

The person you quoted about the La Liga being overrated was clearly, given they literally stated it, talking about the level of competitiveness and excitement in the league,. Thus when you argued against it, you argued against that point

Pretty simple bro, English lessons may help.
    I refused to acknowledge the fact that he thinks the La liga isn't competitive because of the 30 point gap. Whereas in the premier league there is a 19 point difference between 2nd and 3rd looool, so competitive huh?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Messi and Ronaldo are best. Suck it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    You do realise that you're incredibly rude, arrogant and bullish style is not helping your case right?

You think he's the 5 year old? Lol? You sound like you're shouting through a computer screen. Grow up.
    Sorry but when someone is just continually saying things like 'derp' how is it not like arguing with a 5 year old?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I refused to acknowledge the fact that he thinks the La liga isn't competitive because of the 30 point gap.
    Nope. You actually didnt even refer to the point gap, you went straight into talking about the top clubs in the league.

"La Liga overrated when they have the two best teams in the world and had 3 teams in the Semi finals of the Europa league?"
    ^ Your post.

#rereadyourownpostsbeforespeakin g
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    keeping all the italian and spanish fetishism aside, the Premier League is the premier league.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope. You actually didnt even refer to the point gap, you went straight into talking about the top clubs in the league.

"La Liga overrated when they have the two best teams in the world and had 3 teams in the Semi finals of the Europa league?"
    ^ Your post.

#rereadyourownpostsbeforespeakin g
    I just said I didn't refer to it, since when were Bilbao and Athletico Madrid the top clubs in the league?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes but you could argue that Bilbao actually outplayed Man United whereas Chelsea did not outplay Barcelona what so ever. In my opinion Chelsea were very fortunate to go through.
    We're not having this argument again.
    If you wanna use results and stats as a reason to say a league is better, chelsea beat barca, bilbao beat united, united are lower in the rankings than barca and are considered on the whole inferior to barca while chelsea and bilbao are both in similar league positions. Doesn't matter about the way we or bilbao won.

Also add to the fact that prior to mourinho coming into madrid, it was only barca getting to the semis of the CL, this season and last season, madrid have been better in the CL although valencia have stayed the same. The english were better in the europa league the season before and matched the spanish the season before that with 2 english semi finalists.

If we use the long term stats, the past 5 years, the prem has been better than la liga in terms of results and competitiveness. I choose to do it this way as it's a better measure than using 1 season or two seasons. I agree that spanish have outdone us in europe this season though, even if chelsea win the CL. But I can just say it's a lucky season.

Also, I want to add that if you use the UEFA coefficients, more english teams are in the top 10 than spanish teams.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.