Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Premier League THE BEST IN THE WORLD

Announcements Posted on
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    La Liga overrated when they have the two best teams in the world and had 3 teams in the Semi finals of the Europa league?
    Which Country is in the final of the CL again? Oh right it's England. again!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the English national team sucks.

Germany 3 world cups, 3 european chamopionships, 13 major finals

Italy 4 world cups, 1 european chamopionships, 7 major finals

France 1 world cups, 2 european chamopionships, 4 major finals

Spain 1 world cups, 2 european chamopionships, 4 major finals

Holland 0 world cups, 1 european championships, 4 major finals

England 1 world cup, 0 european championships, 1 major finals

So England officially have the worst record for any international team for their population in europe, Holland only a have a population of 17 million.

So I guess we have to hype up the English league, because the national team is so bad. Makes sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ladies, please. I'm just going to settle this here and now.

What we witnessed today was amazing, incredible, unbelievable even - Does this make the EPL the best league in the world? Depends what you define as being 'the best'.

Best for excitement? Most definitely. Those who bother to watch European football will agree with me on this. I've watched 10 Italian matches this season. I must have seen 15 goals at most. Juventus went the entire season without losing, in the process garnering 15 draws. But only 68 goals. Compare this to City's 93 and United's 89, Arsenal's 74 and even Spurs with a close 66! At the other end of the table is Cesena, who mustered a measly 24 goals. Compare this to our basement team Wolves who managed a respectable 40 - mind you, they shipped in 82 goals in the process, the worst in the league. How does this compare to Serie A? 69 was the worst, by Genoa.

Interpret this as you wish, but after watching these matches, I have to say, Italian football is as crap as they say it is. Entertainment? Hardly. I was never on the edge of my seat, even in a big match such as Udinese and Juventus. Yet I was on the edge of my seat every week in the EPL - There were some truly magnificent matches this season, many coming between mid-table teams.

La liga never really gripped me as well. Barca winning 7-0 away from home is not entertainment. The way they play football is not entertainment. I would rather see Stoke play Wolves than see Barca trounce Osasuna 5-0 again.

French football has been devoid of class for a long, long time now. Having saying that, it's been an eventful season in Ligue 1 this year. 7 teams could claim to have been embroiled in a relegation dog-fight (even if they don't like to admit it). At the top, Montpellier are at the moment edging past PSG and Lille in a tight three-horse race, with 2 games to go though, I fully expect Montpellier to claim the title, with the notably tall striker Oliver Giroud leading La Paillade's line.

Dutch football has been another goal-fest this year, with Ajax shipping in 93, PSV 87, and sixth-placed Twente with a remarkable 82 goals. Not only this, but Ajax managed to outscore City and concede more in a season with four less games than the EPL. Having said this though, I watched a couple of matches, and found that the quality of football and the variety in play was lacking when compared to the EPL. Dare I say a team like Fulham has arguably played better football than Dutch champions Ajax this year.

The only league I see that can rival the EPL in terms of entertainment is the German. The style of play is a hybrid between la liga and the EPL. However, it was a two-horse race for much of the season. You can say the same about the EPL, but I believe the gulf in class between Borussia + Bayern and Schalke is greater than that between the two Manchester clubs and the two North-London clubs.

SO what if two of the world's best players are in La Liga? The colourful variety of players and personalities in the EPL only heightens the drama. Where's the drama in spain? There isn't any. I would have placed my proverbial mortgage on it being either Real or Barca to win this year's La liga and lo-and-behold, that's how it turned out. The gulf between Barca and Valenica is staggering.

At the start of the season I honestly believed that no less than 6 teams had a shot at the title. United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and even Liverpool. Liverpool disapointed, as they still have yet to find a replacement for their dear Xabi (Jordan Henderson DOES NOT count). Spurs were in my eyes serious contenders and how they blew gaining third or even SECOND place is beyond me. Chelsea have had a weird season but at the start of the season I thought the old-guard could honestly replicate their form of old and reclaim the league.

And Arsenal need defenders. And fast. Else they will struggle next season to fight of the likes of a resurgent Chelsea and perhaps a strengthened Liverpool side.

Predictions for next season:

1. Man city - buoyed by this season and a few new signings, Mancini's men will build a new blue empire in England which I don't see being toppled in the near future.

2. Man utd - will fall even shorter behind their rivals with Sir Alex losing the plot even more.

3. Chelsea - New Manager, New players, New direction. That's what this summer holds.

4. Spurs - Will lose Modric, keep bale, and mess up some more in 'easy' matches after another bright start.

5. Arsenal - Podolski means **** all if you can't keep Van Persie; which they won't. Defence will fail them again.

6. Everton - If they can keep their best players, and start with a bang for once, Jelavic will be deadly for them and they will mount a serious challenge for 4th place.

7. Liverpool - I could honestly see liverpool getting annywhere from 3rd to 10th place, I just don't know anymore. It's been a weird season for them.

8. Newcastle - will lose Cisse, perhaps Ba, and their replacements will not live up to the lofty expectations of the Geordie faithful.

Relegated:

Swansea, second season syndrome.
    Aston Villa, if they don't sort their s*** out fast.
    West Ham, after winning the play offs, will not buy enough players to consilidate their place in the premier league.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    No its Chelsea. England don't get to finals.

Chelsea, backed by a Russian oil money, with mostly foreign players, and a foreign coach. Very English.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    We're not having this argument again.
    If you wanna use results and stats as a reason to say a league is better, chelsea beat barca, bilbao beat united, united are lower in the rankings than barca and are considered on the whole inferior to barca while chelsea and bilbao are both in similar league positions. Doesn't matter about the way we or bilbao won.

Also add to the fact that prior to mourinho coming into madrid, it was only barca getting to the semis of the CL, this season and last season, madrid have been better in the CL although valencia have stayed the same. The english were better in the europa league the season before and matched the spanish the season before that with 2 english semi finalists.

If we use the long term stats, the past 5 years, the prem has been better than la liga in terms of results and competitiveness. I choose to do it this way as it's a better measure than using 1 season or two seasons. I agree that spanish have outdone us in europe this season though, even if chelsea win the CL. But I can just say it's a lucky season.

Also, I want to add that if you use the UEFA coefficients, more english teams are in the top 10 than spanish teams.
    Bilbao are tenth I believe whereas Chelsea are 6th.

Can everyone please cut this crap about the Premier League being soo much more competitive than the La Liga because it really isn't.

Before today, in the past decade three teams have won the premier league. That is the same as the Spanish, Italian and Portuguese leagues. It is worse than the French league who has had 4 and Germany who has had 5. This is all before today mind you.

Instead of believing all the sky sports bull**** maybe people should read this article...

The Premier League is nowhere close to being the most competitive league in the world than most people think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...premier-league
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Getting to the final doesn't matter if you don't win it, which 'England' rarely does.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    But the EPL don't celebrate a win like the Spanish. Sky Sports 3 now :love:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnobe)
    So I guess we have to hype up the English league, because the national team is so bad. Makes sense.
    But having a great league is 10x better than having a great national team.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Getting to the final doesn't matter if you don't win it, which 'England' rarely does.
    Same for the Two Spanish teams that got to the semis of the CL?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same for the Two Spanish teams that got to the semis of the CL?
    No because the fact they both got into the final meant it was already a certain win for the La Liga...
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bilbao are tenth I believe whereas Chelsea are 6th.

Can everyone please cut this crap about the Premier League being soo much more competitive than the La Liga because it really isn't.

Before today, in the past decade three teams have won the premier league. That is the same as the Spanish, Italian and Portuguese leagues. It is worse than the French league who has had 4 and Germany who has had 5. This is all before today mind you.

Instead of believing all the sky sports bull**** maybe people should read this article...

The Premier League is nowhere close to being the most competitive league in the world than most people think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...premier-league
    To be fair I didn't look at the final league positions of la liga as the matches ended today but weren't athletic 7th before the final day of the season? But anyway, germany is more competitive and so is italy in my opinion. French and german leagues are the most competitive. But the french league lacks the quality lets be serious, it's only a bit better than the portuguese league. I think germany needs all of their big teams to make a presence in the CL to really get recognised. Only bayern makes a good presence year in year out. Might change with dortmund though if they can replicate their league form to the CL.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    To be fair I didn't look at the final league positions of la liga as the matches ended today but weren't athletic 7th before the final day of the season? But anyway, germany is more competitive and so is italy in my opinion. French and german leagues are the most competitive. But the french league lacks the quality lets be serious, it's only a bit better than the portuguese league. I think germany needs all of their big teams to make a presence in the CL to really get recognised. Only bayern makes a good presence year in year out. Might change with dortmund though if they can replicate their league form to the CL.
    Yeah, im sure they were even 6th not long ago. The Premier League IS one of the most exciting leagues in the world as today has proved! It just annoys me when people claim it is the most competitive when it really isn't.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is it better than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? No
    Is it better than La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A? Yes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomas101)
    But having a great league is 10x better than having a great national team.
    Err....I think if you were to ask most English people would they rather have Chelsea winning the CL or England winning the world cup....I think you'd know the answer....
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnobe)
    Err....I think if you were to ask most English people would they rather have Chelsea winning the CL or England winning the world cup....I think you'd know the answer....
    Well yeah as a NATION they'd prefer the Word Cup but ask any Chelsea fan or player and they'll say CL over WC ~ even JT said he's prefer CL over WC the other day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnobe)
    You missed the point: Having a great league is way better than having a great national team, *because* it means we're a literally minutes drive away from seeing some of the best football in the world. Even if England were the best team in the world, it wouldn't be of any practical use.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You missed the point: Having a great league is way better than having a great national team, *because* it means we're a literally minutes drive away from seeing some of the best football in the world. Even if England were the best team in the world, it wouldn't be of any practical use.
    I don't believe you I think you're just saying that to cover up you're arguement.

Everyone knows the mood this country gets into for a WC/EC. The viewing figures back this up, theyre much bigger than anything the CL final produces, even when an English team is in it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnobe)
    I don't believe you I think you're just saying that to cover up you're arguement.

Everyone knows the mood this country gets into for a WC/EC. The viewing figures back this up, theyre much bigger than anything the CL final produces, even when an English team is in it.
    Uh, no, I'm not. Every couple of weeks, I'm a short drive away from seeing world class football. That is a million times better than England winning a world cup. Do you not agree? International tournaments only come every 2 years - the PL is every week. (Not only that, but I don't have to travel to another country to see it)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't support City or United, but watching Aguero score the goal that won the League after 94 minutes sums up why this is the best league in the world.

The pitch invasion at the end shows the passion people in this country have for the game. Incredible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uh, no, I'm not. Every couple of weeks, I'm a short drive away from seeing world class football. That is a million times better than England winning a world cup. Do you not agree? International tournaments only come every 2 years - the PL is every week. (Not only that, but I don't have to travel to another country to see it)
    I don't care I don't support England.

But the English national team is more important to most people in this country. The statistics back this up with viewing figures etc. The world cup final in 1966 still holds the record for the highest viewing figure of all time with nearly 34 million.

If England won the world cup the hysteria would be huge, insane, I'd probably escape from it personally, outer mongolia I think.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.