Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any ideas for Manchester?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm heading to Manchester for the postgraduate fair this Wednesday and i'm staying the night at a hotel afterwards.

Basically thats it, I have no plans, i'm by myself for 2 days with nothing to do so any ideas for food, attractions, shops etc?

I'd love to see some nightlife but i'm by myself? I've never been out in Manchester so it might not be a great idea :/ i dunno.

All suggestions welcome. You can be elaborate or suggest some 'things to do before you die' type ideas?

Ta very much x
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace1991)
    Hi!

I'm heading to Manchester for the postgraduate fair this Wednesday and i'm staying the night at a hotel afterwards.

Basically thats it, I have no plans, i'm by myself for 2 days with nothing to do so any ideas for food, attractions, shops etc?

I'd love to see some nightlife but i'm by myself? I've never been out in Manchester so it might not be a great idea :/ i dunno.

All suggestions welcome. You can be elaborate or suggest some 'things to do before you die' type ideas?

Ta very much x
    LOADS to do in Manchester City Centre. You have the Arndale Shopping Centre, you can go on the Manchester Wheel there as well.

Lots of nice shopping streets in the centre, only 10 mins walk from the Piccadilly train station

More Here
    http://www.visitmanchester.com/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Ta very much x

hmm there's a lot of things to do, in the morning you can go around Picadilly garden, shop around arndale and selfridges, you can also see the media city by tram. there's also the trafford centre, a bit far but doable or go china town. on night however, im not too sure, I know that there's some events every wed night but it might not be that exciting because most of the students are studying for the upcoming exams.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    LOADS to do in Manchester City Centre. You have the Arndale Shopping Centre, you can go on the Manchester Wheel there as well.
    I was in Manchester over the weekend, the wheel was gone (Unless they've just moved it) :ashamed2:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I was in Manchester over the weekend, the wheel was gone (Unless they've just moved it) :ashamed2:
    :O
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    :O
    Yep just checked, it's moved to Scotland. Damn Olympics :\
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-17733594
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's gone. That area's going to be an area with 24 hour Olympic coverage on the big screens and be one of the 8 or so major Olympic watching hotspots across the country or something like that
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    :cry:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit of a foodie, so if you need any recommendations on a particular type of cuisine just ask!.

The Northern Quarter has always been my favourite part of the city. There are a nice selection of second hand clothes shops and quirky boutiques. There are also some brilliant bars and restaurants like TROF (The Deaf Institute), Walrus (Japanese bar and restaurant), TV21, Cuba Cafe and my favourite greasy spoon: The Koffee Pot (http://www.thekoffeepot.co.uk).

Whitworth Art gallery and People's History Museum are worth a visit too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying guys!

I'm definitely going to look around the arndale and selfridges! sounds amazing!

as for food, El Nombre suggested Walrus, that sounds fantastic, i'm going to give that a try I think

gutted the wheels gone, although I might have looked odd being in the cabin by myself XD

thanks again guys, take care! x
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

as for food, El Nombre suggested Walrus, that sounds fantastic, i'm going to give that a try I think

gutted the wheels gone, although I might have looked odd being in the cabin by myself XD

if you go to printworks you can watch a movie and go to different bar/restaurants, there's nandos, wasabi sushi shop, hard rock cafe, there's also the food court inside arndale!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    When did the wheel go? Havent been around that way for a while!

Printworks is good for food and drinks as the poster above said, I like that Norweigan Blue bar in there and apparantly the ticket prices for the Odeon in there have gone down. There's lots of pubs in town if you're going out in the evening, somewhere like Bar Wave on Portland Street is cheap or the Circus Tavern further down the road is a nice cosy little place where you'll get chatting to people. I go out on my own in Manchester occasionally and just get chatting to everyone and anyone along the way, such is the beauty of our town; it's a very friendly place. Check out the Red Hot World Buffet as well, it's class. If you want a bit of a party check out 5th Avenue, 42nd Street or Sankeys - or even venture down Canal Street if you've got an open mind.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace1991)

It's not lol. The Selfridges there is tiny.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It's not lol. The Selfridges there is tiny.
    how is it tiny? selfridges has got about 3 floors and a foodhall

op dont bother shopping in the arndale just has the shops you'll find anywhere else topshop lipsy river island. go to the northern quarter. id definitely rather go to manc for shopping than crappy london anyway
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah they making room for people to watch Olympics on a screen there.

OP:
    try wandering around Deansgate, northern quater or somewhere near Kings Street for some nicer shops.
    Food wise : I like Aubaine in Selfridges but quite pricey. Otherwises head for the safe option of Nandos or something lol.
    I think the John Rylands Library in Deansgate is pretty nice to visit. Royal Exchange Theatre is quite nice inside as well.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh and we all forgot to mention you need to visit the Curry Mile (its like 20 min bus ride from city centre or ten minutes from the universities). I recommend Shahi Masala there
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    Oh and we all forgot to mention you need to visit the Curry Mile (its like 20 min bus ride from city centre or ten minutes from the universities). I recommend Shahi Masala there
    Curry Mile is great but I hardly ever bother with them, which is a shame! Same thing with Chinatown really, walk through it but don't often go out there.

When its sunny everyone should get themselves out to that restaurant overlooking the massive lake at Trafford Water Sports Centre. Not the cheapest place but brilliant food usually and just a nice scenic place to be on a summers day.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cigarette)
    how is it tiny? selfridges has got about 3 floors and a foodhall

op dont bother shopping in the arndale just has the shops you'll find anywhere else topshop lipsy river island. go to the northern quarter. id definitely rather go to manc for shopping than crappy london anyway
    Its like a tenth of the size of the london one, if that

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.