The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2012/13 Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eugenius 8
trying to decide on what accom to live in next year :argh: i have 2 choices within my budget, one is £150 cheaper per month than the other but takes over an hour walk to get to uni while the other one is 20 mins urgh :s-smilie: i'd rather go cheaper but then the other one is so much more convenient, gona be a pain in the arse taking the bus to uni methinks as they will be so busy with 40% of people in rennes being students :s-smilie: one advantage of living farther away is its closer to town and its situated inside the other rennes uni campus which feels more socialable argh decisions decisions :pinch:

Oddly enough I can actually relate to this. In first year due to halls being full I ended up in Unite accommodation 40 mins from uni (had to get subway in etc.) which was mainly populated with students from Strathclyde Uni rather than Glasgow Uni and it was really close to city centre. Second year I was in a flat much closer to uni (although still close to city centre) and was surrounded by Glasgow students. I liked them both for different reasons: 1st year was nice because of getting to mix with other uni students and also being 2 mins from a primark was just lush, 2nd year was great because of ease of getting to lectures and really getting involved with uni people (literally spent my life in the unions).

Sorry that was probably really unhelpful but I guess what I'm trying to say is you'll have fun in either! Although do consider about nights out, I saved a fortune in second year because didn't have to get taxis back from clubs etc.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Oddly enough I can actually relate to this. In first year due to halls being full I ended up in Unite accommodation 40 mins from uni (had to get subway in etc.) which was mainly populated with students from Strathclyde Uni rather than Glasgow Uni and it was really close to city centre. Second year I was in a flat much closer to uni (although still close to city centre) and was surrounded by Glasgow students. I liked them both for different reasons: 1st year was nice because of getting to mix with other uni students and also being 2 mins from a primark was just lush, 2nd year was great because of ease of getting to lectures and really getting involved with uni people (literally spent my life in the unions).

Sorry that was probably really unhelpful but I guess what I'm trying to say is you'll have fun in either! Although do consider about nights out, I saved a fortune in second year because didn't have to get taxis back from clubs etc.

nah that was pretty helpful thanks :smile: now ive been thinking about ditching student accom and getting an apartment in town somewhere then i'll be less restricted and be able to get in touch with the culture more, duno how easy it is to get a place though

ok the more expensive option is gone
(edited 11 years ago)
nah that was pretty helpful thanks :smile: now ive been thinking about ditching student accom and getting an apartment in town somewhere then i'll be less restricted and be able to get in touch with the culture more, duno how easy it is to get a place though

ok the more expensive option is gone

Hmmm apartment in town sounds very cool, although possibly trickier with making friends. I'm quite grateful because at Calgary they have halls for non-freshers so should be lots of people my own age!

Good news for today: I PASSED! Yay second year of uni passed so now I can get fully excited about going off to Calgary!
Hmmm apartment in town sounds very cool, although possibly trickier with making friends. I'm quite grateful because at Calgary they have halls for non-freshers so should be lots of people my own age!

Good news for today: I PASSED! Yay second year of uni passed so now I can get fully excited about going off to Calgary!

went for the cheaper uni option in the end, they told me it was really hard to get a flat in town so playing safe, just a bit far away but i'll get around :p: they also gave me another option, a block of flats fairly close to uni but it was the most depressing prison like looking place i have even seen :nothing: no thanks :mmm: it wasnt good value either

oh congrats :biggrin: wow thats quick i dont get my results til 6th july :p:
went for the cheaper uni option in the end, they told me it was really hard to get a flat in town so playing safe, just a bit far away but i'll get around :p: they also gave me another option, a block of flats fairly close to uni but it was the most depressing prison like looking place i have even seen :nothing: no thanks :mmm: it wasnt good value either

oh congrats :biggrin: wow thats quick i dont get my results til 6th july :p:

Best to play safe then turn up without a place to stay I guess :yep: you'll adjust to distance soon enough, just hope not too many early lectures :teehee:

Well I finished on 3rd of May so I guess it feels like ages for me.
Anyone going to Lausanne?
YES! Calgary just emailed me through approval for all my courses, this means when I get to sign up for courses on Monday they wont then email me and tell me that I can't do them :woo: only had to make one change, had to drop Native Language which is sad in order to pick up a pre-requisite, but looks like will be helpful.
Done everything apart from scanning all my documents, paying and sending (luckily it's all online). Had to wait till this weekend as my dad is paying for visa so needed to wait for him to be at home, hopefully should get time tomorrow :yep:

Just watching, defs not playing, although I may see if I'm any good at speed skating!

Hi. Sorry for the really long wait.... again. I didn't want to post in this thread until I knew I was going, just to make sure. So yeah, I finally got accepted by HKU and got the grades to go :cool:. I'm really excited now! I can't believe I'll be in HK in just 10 weeks time! My visa is pretty much ready to be sent to the immigration department as well.

Yeah I wouldn't really want to try ice hockey either. I really enjoy ice skating though.

YES! Calgary just emailed me through approval for all my courses, this means when I get to sign up for courses on Monday they wont then email me and tell me that I can't do them :woo: only had to make one change, had to drop Native Language which is sad in order to pick up a pre-requisite, but looks like will be helpful.

Does that mean that you are still doing your psycholinguistics module? I also got my module choices approved except for one. It's annoying as I did really want to do that module. They allow me to drop and add new modules to my selection during the first two weeks of term so I'll hopefully be able to take up alternative courses which look good.
Original post by chr1stopher11
Hi. Sorry for the really long wait.... again. I didn't want to post in this thread until I knew I was going, just to make sure. So yeah, I finally got accepted by HKU and got the grades to go :cool:. I'm really excited now! I can't believe I'll be in HK in just 10 weeks time! My visa is pretty much ready to be sent to the immigration department as well.

Yeah I wouldn't really want to try ice hockey either. I really enjoy ice skating though.

Does that mean that you are still doing your psycholinguistics module? I also got my module choices approved except for one. It's annoying as I did really want to do that module. They allow me to drop and add new modules to my selection during the first two weeks of term so I'll hopefully be able to take up alternative courses which look good.

:five: so exciting counting down to going. Just under 10 weeks to go for me :woo: ooo that reminds me, should check visa status online at some point!

I love ice skating so the fact I live next door to the ice rink is just insane!

Ahhh unfortunately not, he emailed me a few days later to say that actually he's just realised some of the courses aren't running this year which is a shame, but getting to do "Language and Mind" which is kind of psycholinguisticy :yep:

I'm sure you'll find things to fill the gaps, that's what I'm looking for at the minute.
:five: so exciting counting down to going. Just under 10 weeks to go for me :woo: ooo that reminds me, should check visa status online at some point!

I know right! I'm leaving around the first week of September, is that the same for you? They are organising some international orientations which should be a lot of fun. I've made quite a lot of friends this year who are from HK, mostly postgrads, so I'll be able to see them when I get to HK which is exciting. They can show me around the place! Do you know anyone in Calgary?

I love ice skating so the fact I live next door to the ice rink is just insane!

Wow jelly! I guess you'll be there quite a lot then?

Ahhh unfortunately not, he emailed me a few days later to say that actually he's just realised some of the courses aren't running this year which is a shame, but getting to do "Language and Mind" which is kind of psycholinguisticy :yep:

Awwwww :frown:. The module that I wasn't able to do is about urban geography which is pretty central to what I wanted to do in the year abroad. I guess it's ok as I still have 3/10 modules being urban planning/urban geography.

I'm sure you'll find things to fill the gaps, that's what I'm looking for at the minute.

Yeah I have a few back up plans. When I was choosing my modules I was under the impression that one of my choices was unavailable to exchange students but I didn't get it confirmed. If when I get to HK and they say it is available then I will jump at the chance as it is quite important. It's basically a research methods module which would really help for my dissertation.

I'm also taking what seems to be 2 final year modules in my second semester so I might have to give them up as well if they turn out to be too hard, although they will be very good preparation for my final year.
Reply 90
I'm curious at those who are taking a year abroad. How are you funding this year, or how have you funded for it? I know I priced around a year out and the price was scandalous, almost working out as much as a year at Uni would cost, and obviously you can't get a student loan for a year out.

It was something I really wanted to do but I was way out priced after checking costs.
Original post by McKenzie-
I'm curious at those who are taking a year abroad. How are you funding this year, or how have you funded for it? I know I priced around a year out and the price was scandalous, almost working out as much as a year at Uni would cost, and obviously you can't get a student loan for a year out.

It was something I really wanted to do but I was way out priced after checking costs.

AFAIK you DO get a loan for a year abroad if it's done through your uni (so it's an exchange programme/ERASMUS rather than not studying for a year). If you're talking about just dropping out of uni for a year of travelling, yes I could imagine that would be expensive.

Mine is costing around the same as a year at uni would (flights obv more expensive, but accommodation = much cheaper!)
Reply 92
I've finally been given an accommodation offer!

This would be a good thing if the room that they had given me wasn't total **** and an hour away from the university. YAAAY.

:sad:
Original post by Vekeh
I've finally been given an accommodation offer!

This would be a good thing if the room that they had given me wasn't total **** and an hour away from the university. YAAAY.

:sad:

:hugs: I guess only consolation is at least you have a room :yep:
Hey everyone, how are you all getting on? Quite a lot has happened in the past few weeks for me - I sent off my visa, got my placed confirmed and booked my flight. I'm getting really excited now. Less than two months to go!
Hey everyone, how are you all getting on? Quite a lot has happened in the past few weeks for me - I sent off my visa, got my placed confirmed and booked my flight. I'm getting really excited now. Less than two months to go!

Exciting! I'm all visa-ed and flight-ed etc now which is all exciting!
Original post by McKenzie-

If you do a degree program in which the year abroad is a compulsory part of the program, it is not quite as expensive as you think. Tuition fees are usually paid to your home university as normal, and in many cases will be at a reduced rate of anything up to 50%. You still get your student loan in these situations too; in fact you get a higher loan! Granted, it does cost more..but not as much as you'd think!
Exciting! I'm all visa-ed and flight-ed etc now which is all exciting!

I leave in 39 days! I have everything..aaaaahhhh!! :biggrin:
Original post by GooseNation

I leave in 39 days! I have everything..aaaaahhhh!! :biggrin:

I wish I left that soon, still ages away (well not really, but feels like it!)
Reply 99
Flights booked! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Also for Erasmus students they've confirmed the grant as 370 euros a month, lots more than I thought, it's actually enough to cover rent! Since it's in a lump sum though, I'm a bit worried about getting almost 3 grand in October and going mental spending it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending