The Student Room Group

Will unis care that I re-sit some AS modules in my A2 year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tania<3
Nah I don't think they knew. It occurred to me after applying that maybe I should have had it written in my reference just how close I was, but then it would have begged the question "well if you were so close why didn't you get it"... xD

I'm really not sure if they consider it at AS, but at A2 even if you miss your offer by one mark, unis can be really harsh about it... so I don't know :/

Ahh okay... are you retaking unit 1 this summer? I know you've said you're gonna retake in January but you havent said if youre retaking anything now..?

People say they will retake stuff at A2, but the thing AS students don't realise is that how difficult it will be... because the workload at A2 is pretty much double that at AS, so you need to revise everything in enough time so you don't end up neglecting your A2 subjects. Just a bit of advice :smile: however, you will find AS modules sooo much easier so you should do well in them. Also, retake Unit 2 exams (if you have to) in June... If you retake any Unit 2 exam in January, grade boundaries tend to be slightly higher. It's cause you're gonna be going into the exam with a bunch of retakers, so they will be naturally better :tongue:

By a backup I mean a non-medicine choice (biomed seems to be the standard one, but its up to you) so just in case you don't get in, you still could go off to uni (and maybe do grad entry med instead).

No only a handful frown upon them, UCL and Cambridge and maybe Birmingham, not the vast majority. You'd be at an advantage at applying once you have your A2 grades because you'll be applying amongst a load of 17/18 year olds who only have predicted grades. Actual grades > predictions :smile:

No worries! I enjoy being able to help with any questions you guys had - god knows I wouldn't have gotten in without the vast amount of help this forum gave me xD

Yeah, gotta admit TSR is a lifesaver sometimes xD

Yup, I'm retaking unit 1 chem tomorrow actually... And I think i will end up with a U again. I haven't really studied for it, AGAIN :|
(English Lit coursework is a KILLER!!!)...
... So in January it'll be my third attempt. I'll HAVE to get it right that time!! :frown:
I still have a few questions to ask, but would you mind if we postponed this till tomorrow? It's getting pretty late, and don't wanna keep you up.
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Yeah, gotta admit TSR is a lifesaver sometimes xD

Yup, I'm retaking unit 1 chem tomorrow actually... And I think i will end up with a U again. I haven't really studied for it, AGAIN :|
(English Lit coursework is a KILLER!!!)...
... So in January it'll be my third attempt. I'll HAVE to get it right that time!! :frown:
I still have a few questions to ask, but would you mind if we postponed this till tomorrow? It's getting pretty late, and don't wanna keep you up.

Hmm. Well don't count your chickens before they hatch, I always say. Unit 1 is always easier after studying for Unit 2 :tongue:

No problem! I'm gonna be awake for a bit anyways so if you just PM me I can answer as many questions as you like :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
Resitting your AS or A2 modules after sitting your A levels (within 2 years) is NOT advisable. You will be considered a "resit" applicant and many universities will not accept your application unless you can provide extenuating circumstances. Universities will be able to see everything on your UCAS form but not anything that was "cashed in" to the examination board as they operate separately from UCAS. Universities will only receive a transcript of your A level grades (not specific module grades) from your exam board on results day. However, they will find out if you have taken a module multiple times (this is generally fine provided you have taken all your modules within a 2 year period).

There are a few other medics on this forum who have taken gap years and reapplied so they will be able to give you more information on that (if you browse around).

Thank you for all of this info. you've enlightened me a lot! Just one more question :colondollar: After my school have cashed in my AS grades and then I resit a few modules in January, will the 'cashed' in ones change?
Original post by tania<3
Hmm. Well don't count your chickens before they hatch, I always say. Unit 1 is always easier after studying for Unit 2 :tongue:

No problem! I'm gonna be awake for a bit anyways so if you just PM me I can answer as many questions as you like :smile:

Thanks for the support!! Tomorrow after my exam should I PM you or just carry on on this thread then? :smile:
Thanks for the support!! Tomorrow after my exam should I PM you or just carry on on this thread then? :smile:

I get email notifs if you PM me so yeah - PM :smile: what exam have you got btw? Good luck!

EDIT: just saw its chem - fingers crossed you'll be fine :biggrin: xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by PrincessMedic
Thank you for all of this info. you've enlightened me a lot! Just one more question :colondollar: After my school have cashed in my AS grades and then I resit a few modules in January, will the 'cashed' in ones change?

Your highest achieved module grade will be the one that is used when calculating your A level grade. :smile:
Original post by tania<3
I get email notifs if you PM me so yeah - PM :smile: what exam have you got btw? Good luck!

EDIT: just saw its chem - fingers crossed you'll be fine :biggrin: xx

Thanks!! (though I know I won't do well haha)

Talk to you tomorrow then. Ahh, so... tired...

Zzzzzzz...

:3
Original post by Vulpes
Your highest achieved module grade will be the one that is used when calculating your A level grade. :smile:

Oh ok, so after getting the full A level grade, we don't have to put down the AS grade anymore? Because I was planning to resit a few AS modules and if they did bump my overall AS grade up, would they see that instead of the old ones? Oh my gosh, here I go with the questions again...I'm so sorry! :frown:
Reply 28
Oh ok, so after getting the full A level grade, we don't have to put down the AS grade anymore? Because I was planning to resit a few AS modules and if they did bump my overall AS grade up, would they see that instead of the old ones? Oh my gosh, here I go with the questions again...I'm so sorry! :frown:

Universities will only be able to see your full A level grade on results day. However, on your UCAS form, you should still declare the grades for all your AS and A2 modules.

After you have met your offer, you may be asked to bring in a transcript of your grades for record / confirmation. This transcript (sent to you by the examination board) will show all your module grades (including resits).
Original post by tania<3
Yeah you'll be fine :smile: I got Bs at AS and still ended up with an offer so if I can do it so can you :biggrin:

And as for the resitting question - no. The only unis that do care about your AS grades are UCL and Cambridge, and I heard that Birmingham flat out rejected people with less than straight As. But the vast majority don't give a damn so you'll be fine :smile:

if you dont mind me asking, what did you get in your AS subjects like AABB? I sit all my exams in one go, and am expecting to do a resit or two :/
Original post by Vulpes
Universities will only be able to see your full A level grade on results day. However, on your UCAS form, you should still declare the grades for all your AS and A2 modules.

After you have met your offer, you may be asked to bring in a transcript of your grades for record / confirmation. This transcript (sent to you by the examination board) will show all your module grades (including resits).

but thats after your offer has been met :tongue:

also, if I applied in a gap year do I still declare module results. Do you write AS resit results, or AS first time results?
Original post by Vulpes

Ah ok, but what if I apply after a gap year? Do I still need to put down my AS grades and if so, the new ones(after modile resits in year 13) or old ones(from year 12)?
Reply 32
Original post by AishaTara
but thats after your offer has been met :tongue:

also, if I applied in a gap year do I still declare module results. Do you write AS resit results, or AS first time results?

You should. But universities will generally take your highest achieve mark in your module into account. If you are resitting any subjects during your gap year, you should declare all future resits as "pending" grades

Ah ok, but what if I apply after a gap year? Do I still need to put down my AS grades and if so, the new ones(after modile resits in year 13) or old ones(from year 12)?

See above. :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
You should. But universities will generally take your highest achieve mark in your module into account. If you are resitting any subjects during your gap year, you should declare all future resits as "pending" grades)

thank you, hopefully my resits will only be for AS in Jan, none for A2.
For AS this year I'm predicted to get AAABD (B and D in bio and chem).
I know that med unis won't accept me with those. So I'm thinking of resitting all my bio and chem AS modules in A2 next year (hopefully in Jan) to bump them both up to As, and apply when I get my full A-Levels, when I will hopefully by then have 1A* (in French) and 3As (bio, chem and eng lit)
But will unis see that I did horribbly in my first year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
For AS this year I'm predicted to get AAABD (B and D in bio and chem).
I know that med unis won't accept me with those. So I'm thinking of resitting all my bio and chem AS modules in A2 next year (hopefully in Jan) to bump them both up to As, and apply when I get my full A-Levels, when I will hopefully by then have 1A* (in French) and 3As (bio, chem and eng lit)
But will unis see that I did horribbly in my first year?

No they wont see your AS results. Once you have a full A level its all you have to put down, your AS results are then irrelevant (apart from the stand alone AS which you my have dropped). Getting A*AAA will set you up for pretty much any medical school provided it was achieved within your two years of A levels.
Original post by myyrh
No they wont see your AS results. Once you have a full A level its all you have to put down, your AS results are then irrelevant (apart from the stand alone AS which you my have dropped). Getting A*AAA will set you up for pretty much any medical school provided it was achieved within your two years of A levels.

Ah, thank you so much! Exactly what I wanted to hear. But if I apply only once I get my full A-Levels, when would I then have to apply?
Reply 37
Ah, thank you so much! Exactly what I wanted to hear. But if I apply only once I get my full A-Levels, when would I then have to apply?

The same time as everyone else. The process is still the same. The only difference is if you get an offer it will be unconditional or conditional on health checks and A level certificates.
Original post by myyrh
The same time as everyone else. The process is still the same. The only difference is if you get an offer it will be unconditional or conditional on health checks and A level certificates.

Original post by myyrh

I'm confused - how is that possible? If I applied the same time as everyone else (next October) I will only have my AS levels... Not my full A-Levels... And they will judge me on my AS grades which I do not want.
P.S. I realised you're the same person from my other thread! Thanks for all the support! :smile:
Reply 39
I'm confused - how is that possible? If I applied the same time as everyone else (next October) I will only have my AS levels... Not my full A-Levels... And they will judge me on my AS grades which I do not want.
P.S. I realised you're the same person from my other thread! Thanks for all the support! :smile:

Universities will tend to place more emphasis on your A2 predictions instead of your AS grades. Most people apply during Year 13, when they haven't sat their A levels yet. On your UCAS form, you simply note down your A2 modules as "pending"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending